INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sony Bravia KDL-32EX308  (Read 21503 times)

DonDallas71

• Recent member
Sony Bravia KDL-32EX308
« on: April 16, 2010, 11:14:12 pm »

I have a new Sony DLNA TV (Sony Bravia KDL-32EX308) that I cannot get working properly with MC15.  I can get photos and music working fine, but the TV will not even list the server in the video section. It shows my windows media player 11 and 12 computers in the list and will stream video from those.  I can even get my PlayOn server showing up in the video list and working just fine. PlayOn uses DLNA as well so it should be possible to get MC15 working I would think.  Has anyone else had this issue and is there a setting to fix this?

DonDallas71

• Recent member
Sony Bravia KDL-32EX308
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2010, 05:57:23 pm »

I was running 15.0.23 that I downloaded on 4/15, but now I am running 15.0.28.  Nothing changed after the upgrade. Yes, the "support video" option is checked and video also shows up under the customize views.

I still do not see the MC15 server listed under the video section on my TV.  The Sony menu is a little weird.  It has 3 different categories for Photo, Music and Video.  Once you select a category it lists all the available servers for that media type.  For my windows computers and PlayOn server, they show up under all 3 categories, but my MC15 server only shows up under Photo and Music. When looking under the Photo and Music categories I can still browse all the various views, it just only shows media items for that specific category.  So I can see the Video views when browsing Photo and Music, but just can't see any of the items.

Anyone have any other ideas?  I still cannot browse or play video on my Sony Bravia KDL-32EX308. I am now running 15.0.32 and still no luck.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Sony Bravia KDL-32EX308
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2010, 06:10:08 pm »

Does Sony DLNA support video?  I remember something about their DLNA not supporting it.

DonDallas71

• Recent member
Sony Bravia KDL-32EX308
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2010, 10:00:10 am »

Does Sony DLNA support video?  I remember something about their DLNA not supporting it.

It does.  Here is a paste from the Sony site from my Sony Bravia KDL-32EX308:

Network Features

* BRAVIAŽ Internet Video : Ready
    * DLNA : Renderer (Photo/JPEG); Renderer (Music/LPCM,MP3); Renderer (Video/MPEG2,AVCHD); Client (Photo/JPEG); Client (Music/LPCM,MP3); Client (Video/MPEG2,AVCHD)
    * DLNA : Yes
    * Photo MAP : Yes

Also, it sees and plays video from my PlayOn (MediaMall) server which uses DLNA. It can also see and play video from my windows computers that share from Windows Media Player. However, it cannot see or play any video from MC 15.0.32 or any other previous version I have tried.  I use the PlayOn server mainly for getting NetFlix playing to a Dlink media player. Although PlayOn works with this new TV, it's media file sharing features are very basic and hard to navigate.  I would much rather use MC15 where I can customize the video views sent to the TV.

JimH

• Administrator
Re: Sony Bravia KDL-32EX308
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2010, 10:28:35 am »

It would be worth trying DLNAExtra.  It's an MC option.

DonDallas71

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2010, 10:55:38 am »

It would be worth trying DLNAExtra.  It's an MC option.

I have tried that and dozens of other random cominations of settings and have not yet found a combination that will work.  I also tried deleting all views except a single basic video view.

Is there any debug logging within MC15 that I can look at that might shed some light on what might be going wrong?

DonDallas71

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2010, 11:23:33 am »

BTW, I did find this...

http://certification.dlna.org/certs/REG82430261.pdf

Looks like it lists all the DLNA testing that was done on it in order to be DLNA certified. Would that indicate anything that is not supported that is required for MC15 to work?

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2010, 11:31:35 am »

To rule out a MC configuration problem, do you have any other renderers (like a PS3) that show video when just choosing generic DLNA?

Check "customize views" under the server name (generic DLNA is the default server) in DLNA options. In "Items to show" there should be "Video". If not you won't see it on the renderer.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2010, 11:34:50 am »

BTW, I did find this...

http://certification.dlna.org/certs/REG82430261.pdf

Looks like it lists all the DLNA testing that was done on it in order to be DLNA certified. Would that indicate anything that is not supported that is required for MC15 to work?
Nothing there indicates a problem but it was interesting to look at :)

DonDallas71

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2010, 12:24:44 pm »

To rule out a MC configuration problem, do you have any other renderers (like a PS3) that show video when just choosing generic DLNA?

Check "customize views" under the server name (generic DLNA is the default server) in DLNA options. In "Items to show" there should be "Video". If not you won't see it on the renderer.

The only other player I have is a Dlink DSM-520.  It is able to see my custom profile with nothing but a single video view as well as the default "Generic DLNA" and "DLink DSM-320" profiles and is able to see and play video just fine.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2010, 01:51:29 pm »

That's pretty weird. It ought to at least show the category. You don't have WMC Compat checked I hope. Can you try it with serviio and see if it works? Serviio is a very simple DLNA server. Whether the Sony works or not with Serviio might give me a clue.  Use the generic profile when you setup Serviio.

DonDallas71

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2010, 06:05:07 pm »

That's pretty weird. It ought to at least show the category. You don't have WMC Compat checked I hope. Can you try it with serviio and see if it works? Serviio is a very simple DLNA server. Whether the Sony works or not with Serviio might give me a clue.  Use the generic profile when you setup Serviio.

hmm, well....

It sort of worked a little. With Serviio I can actually see it under the video section and see the views, but when I choose a view it just says no items found. The audio portion works fine.

On a side note, with my DLink player and Serviio the video works fine, but the audio does not. weird.

Also, don't have WMC checked. Tried it once and it broke everything.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2010, 09:11:56 am »

Thanks, I'll see if I can find anything...

DonDallas71

• Recent member
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2010, 08:36:05 am »

Thanks, I'll see if I can find anything...

Any news?

InoculateIT

• Recent member
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2010, 03:45:09 am »

Yes it does, it works perfect in Windows Media Player 11 + 12

InoculateIT

• Recent member
Sony Bravia KDL-xxxxx
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2010, 07:37:50 am »

Myself got Sony Bravia KDL-40EX500 with latest firmware.

Many have trouble with DLNA on Sony Televisions.

Picture and Music works just fine, but video dosn't.

I have tested it on Windows Media Player 11 and 12, and it works just fine there.

Many of you now ask, why don't we just use WMP is there is so much trouble?
We paid for Media Center to have this furture, as MC got more options than WMP  ;)

So is there any news about us Sony TV owners?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2010, 12:22:51 pm »

We expect to solve the problem.  I don't know how long it will take.  Thanks for your patience.

przemkos

« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2010, 03:43:26 pm »

Hello
Is there any progress with this issue? I just downloaded trial version o MC, and i would buy it, if there was no problem with DLNA, since it's one of key usages for me. I have Sony W5500 series TV, and i have the same issue - i can see pictures and play music, but no video.

DonDallas71

• Recent member
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2010, 05:46:02 pm »

I check the forum every couple of weeks and try out the latest build and search for any updates related to Sony TV's. I have not seen any progress at all that would indicate they are even working on it. I really don't think they care about Sony TV users. Unfortunately I already paid for the product so I just wasted my money. I use the PlayOn server with my Sony TV and it works just fine. The PlayOn video sharing feature is still in beta, but at least it works.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2010, 08:02:18 pm »

We've been working on video for DLNA this week.  Unfortunately there's a wide variation among devices with regard to video, but hopefully the next build will work better.

Your feedback and testing would be appreciated, since we don't have a Sony TV ourselves.

Thanks.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2010, 10:23:14 am »

Please try the latest version.
Setup just one server in MC, generic DLNA.
In options,
Turn off all conversions (audio, image, video).
In Advanced, turn on the DLNAExtra flag.
Make sure "present subtitle resources" is off.

There were some recent changes in the DLNA server code that may cause the Video category to show up. We appreciate your feedback!

jellyhead

« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2010, 03:21:56 pm »

I have a Sony Bravia KDL-60NX801 TV, I've tried all options as well and nothing works. It shows up as a server on the TV but I always get the no files found message. I've found that PS3 Media Server (FREE) works the best for this TV.

PS3 Media Server will play most video format from any location on your PC. It will even play video directly from compressed archives and ISO image files.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2010, 09:39:28 am »

I have a Sony Bravia KDL-60NX801 TV, I've tried all options as well and nothing works. It shows up as a server on the TV but I always get the no files found message.
Are you using the current build of MC? What I'm trying to determine is if the Video category shows up in the TV menu. From the previous feedback we've gotten, the Music and Image categories show up but not the Video. If Video is showing up but the files are not found that would be a completely different area for us to work on. Even though PS3 MS works for you there are reasons to have the functionality in MC and I'd like to get to the bottom of this...

jellyhead

« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2010, 11:17:47 am »

No Video option but I did manage to get the music to work by Turn off all conversions and DLNAExtra. I am using the latest version 15.0.106

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2010, 08:32:12 am »

We made a change in a test version which appears to fix the problem with Video not showing in the menu. It will be in the next build.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2010, 09:21:34 am »

DaremoS

• World Citizen
  • Rock is not just music... is a way of living
« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2010, 05:08:49 pm »

Till now with version 15.0.113... NO success showin' videos menu    :(

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2010, 05:53:30 pm »

Till now with version 15.0.113... NO success showin' videos menu    :(
Do you have all conversions turned off AND the DLNAExtra option turned on?

DaremoS

• World Citizen
« Reply #28 on: September 18, 2010, 10:33:44 pm »

Do you have all conversions turned off AND the DLNAExtra option turned on?

Exactly as it was asked in previous comment.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: September 19, 2010, 11:15:50 am »

Exactly as it was asked in previous comment.
Ok, I sent you a PM, would you check it please?

Also, what region are you in? Is any of your video mpeg2 content? Many of the Sony TV's can only play
mpeg2 content.

DaremoS

• World Citizen
« Reply #30 on: September 19, 2010, 02:37:14 pm »

Ok, I sent you a PM, would you check it please?

Also, what region are you in? Is any of your video mpeg2 content? Many of the Sony TV's can only play
mpeg2 content.

By comparison I check this based on what original win7 can do with media from a TV set... where I can play several videos.

Concerning the version you sent me (109).It has some advances. ie, it show the DLNA connection in video (a big step forward) as it's shown in music and image. Then it can be seen also the big selections like: all the videos, year, genres, type, etc. but it's no capable of find the proper videos (probaly a selection done by extension: .avi, .mpg, .wmv, etc.) to be played. So no video is played yet thru MC.
I can play videos in Sony TV in two forms:
. based its own selection of videos, located in some specific shared path. This is my problem, not always all the videos installed in such path are displayed in TV.
. when it's chosen an option in win7 menu called "reproduce in" displaying DLNA device (in this case KDL-32... (Sony TV)). This means that win7 read of DLNA device (sony TV) is correctly recognized by SO.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #31 on: September 20, 2010, 12:49:42 pm »

This TV can only play mpeg2 and AVCHD(h.264) video without transcoding, this is from Sony's product page:

Renderer (Photo/JPEG);
Renderer (Music/LPCM,MP3);
Renderer (Video/MPEG2,AVCHD);

The idea here is to get things working smoothly without transcoding before turning on transcoding.

Can I get some more reports on how this is working in builds >= 15.0.113 from more users?

Thanks,
Bob

DonDallas71

• Recent member
« Reply #32 on: September 23, 2010, 09:57:23 pm »

I installed 15.0.113 and now I can see my MC within the video menu on my Sony Bravia KDL-32EX308 using the settings listed in the earlier post from Bob. I can also see any of the other configs like playstation and generic dlna etc. I can see any custom video views i create, categorized by folder etc. This is a huge improvement. However, I cannot actually see any video files once i browse into any of the views/folders. I just get a message "There are no items to display". I have tried a couple of video formats...

Windows Media Video V9
MPEG-4

Both of these formats/exact files will play on my SonyTV from Windows Media Player 12 and PlayOn 3.0. I have tried various advanced settings and still have not found a combination that works with video.

ADMAN

• Recent member
« Reply #33 on: September 24, 2010, 01:19:38 am »

Don et al...

I am working with Bob on the same problem with my Sony BD player.
Be sure to follow our Sony Blu-Ray thread for answers as well:

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=59728.0

Trust me, I feel your pain. I have tried everything as well... :(

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: September 24, 2010, 02:07:41 pm »

I installed 15.0.113 and now I can see my MC within the video menu on my Sony Bravia KDL-32EX308 using the settings listed in the earlier post from Bob. I can also see any of the other configs like playstation and generic dlna etc. I can see any custom video views i create, categorized by folder etc. This is a huge improvement. However, I cannot actually see any video files once i browse into any of the views/folders. I just get a message "There are no items to display". I have tried a couple of video formats...

Windows Media Video V9
MPEG-4

Both of these formats/exact files will play on my SonyTV from Windows Media Player 12 and PlayOn 3.0. I have tried various advanced settings and still have not found a combination that works with video.

Please try a mpeg2 file. According to Sony this TV will not play anything except mpeg2 and avchd via DLNA natively, the others are transcoding. Once we are sure it will play natively, then we'll play with transcoding.

DonDallas71

• Recent member
« Reply #35 on: September 24, 2010, 03:28:43 pm »

I encoded a couple of MPEG-2 videos using CloneDVD Mobile using the "Generic MPEG-2 Pass-Through" profile and I also downloaded a couple of sample MPEG-2 videos from http://www.snapstream.com/enterprise/samples.asp.

I still get the message "There are no items to display" from my SonyTV when browsing MC views from the video menu. Music and Pictures still work fine.

Using these settings:
In options,

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #36 on: September 24, 2010, 03:42:12 pm »

I encoded a couple of MPEG-2 videos using CloneDVD Mobile using the "Generic MPEG-2 Pass-Through" profile and I also downloaded a couple of sample MPEG-2 videos from http://www.snapstream.com/enterprise/samples.asp.

I still get the message "There are no items to display" from my SonyTV when browsing MC views from the video menu. Music and Pictures still work fine.

Using these settings:
In options,

Ok, looks like we might need some flag tweaking. I'm going to try a couple of things, I might ask you to make a wireshark dump at some point...

From your IP it looks like you are in the US, is that correct??

Thanks,
Bob

DonDallas71

• Recent member
« Reply #37 on: September 24, 2010, 04:05:19 pm »

Yes, I am in Texas.

I am emailing you a wireshark dump just in case you want to look.

BTW, I tried the same MC profile and MPEG-2 video files with my PS3 (even without the playstation 3 compatibility option) that I tried on my TV and it worked fine.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #38 on: September 24, 2010, 05:41:18 pm »

Yes, I am in Texas.

I am emailing you a wireshark dump just in case you want to look.

BTW, I tried the same MC profile and MPEG-2 video files with my PS3 (even without the playstation 3 compatibility option) that I tried on my TV and it worked fine.

Thanks, check your messages for something to try...

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #39 on: September 26, 2010, 10:21:55 am »

DonDallas71

• Recent member
« Reply #40 on: September 26, 2010, 12:49:17 pm »

No change with build 118. I can still see MC within the video views of my TV, but not any items, not even MPEG-2 videos. This is with only DLNA, DLNAExtra and MPEG video mimetype override selected. I also tried various other combinations without any luck.

DaremoS

• World Citizen
« Reply #41 on: September 27, 2010, 05:18:13 pm »

Here is the situation with my Sony TV set with version 118.
Now it shows menu options in Video.
Under Video it show several options like All videos type and some others, but it's not capable of select a video to show.
IMHO there is a problem with filters of file to play.

DonDallas71

• Recent member
« Reply #42 on: September 27, 2010, 06:06:53 pm »

I have made some real progress with Bob today. He sent me a modified version that is actually working with MPEG2 videos and even other formats if I enable MPEG2 conversion on my Sony Bravia KDL-32EX308. I will bet they will be finalizing and releasing it real soon.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #43 on: September 27, 2010, 08:36:14 pm »

I have made some real progress with Bob today. He sent me a modified version that is actually working with MPEG2 videos and even other formats if I enable MPEG2 conversion on my Sony Bravia KDL-32EX308. I will bet they will be finalizing and releasing it real soon.
Yea!
Which test file worked (or both??)
Once this is sorted out we can try transcoding in MC, your PC probably has a lot more power than the TV ;)

ADMAN

• Recent member
« Reply #44 on: September 28, 2010, 01:34:20 am »

I too am working with Bob on sorting out things under my original Sony Blu-Ray thread. We too had success getting several files types to play on the BD player today. I will keep you posted as well.  ;D

DaremoS

• World Citizen
« Reply #45 on: October 01, 2010, 10:53:15 am »

Status with v.122. Using the new parameter (MIME .....):
Now alll is working fine except that no image is displayed.
This means that movie is read from server (MC) but no image is shown.
When the movies is playable, under a request to see info, it's show starting and ending time correctly, and it can be seen time running.
When movie is not playable the server start searching for a playable one, if is asked to play it doesn't show ending time,
time is shown running.

I hope this help to fix this awesome feature

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #46 on: October 01, 2010, 03:42:02 pm »

Status with v.122. Using the new parameter (MIME .....):
Now alll is working fine except that no image is displayed.
This means that movie is read from server (MC) but no image is shown.
When the movies is playable, under a request to see info, it's show starting and ending time correctly, and it can be seen time running.
When movie is not playable the server start searching for a playable one, if is asked to play it doesn't show ending time,
time is shown running.

I hope this help to fix this awesome feature
Only mpeg2/ac3 files and avchd are natively supported by the player/tv. If you have other source formats, you'll have to transcode to mpeg2/dvd stream in the video options for the media network dlna server.

tombert

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #47 on: October 12, 2010, 03:21:26 am »

I have a KDL-40EX500 with which it works fine now (except DVDs) ... but I had serios troubles with the W7 Firewall - had to explicitly enable inbound connections. Otherwise I could see the DLNA server (in the diagnostic screen) but no connection was possible.
Pages: [1]   Go Up