INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: is my library server setup properly? testing with a friend in another state.  (Read 1485 times)

HTPC4ME

• Citizen of the Universe
  • LIFE IS A RADIO... CRANK IT UP TO 11!

i have  a friend testing library server for me. they installed jriver\file\library\connect to put in the ip.

why in my jriver am i not seeing there ip address anywhere in network servers? is something maybe not setup properly yet on my end?  i do see though recieved request for file. the only ip that is showing up in the hwole list is my own. is this how it should be?

I've yet to test this away from home...i will this weekend at my parents.

library server - if i use a laptop or different pc away from home and connect to library server will that library stick? or will it have to reload the 19.2 mb file everytime? or does it just load the changes?

one last question.  is there anyway for us to auto restart jriver if it crashes? meaning if i go out of town or on vacation and jriver crashes, is there a way for it to auto close the server and reopen it?

Thank you.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?

Is your friend trying to play from your Library Server?  How?  Another copy of MC?

Your router must be configured to allow access to the port on your PC.  Library Server setup can generate a key that you can mail to a friend.  It can also test your connection to see if it's open from the outside.

HTPC4ME

they went to your site and downloaded jriver, then went to file, library, connect to, and put in my ip address, it loaded the library, 19.2mb and then they chose theaterview and files were there, and played.  they live states away... but i'm not seeing there ip at all in jriver i only see my own, i am however seeing when they decide to play a song, is that how it is suppose to be?

* one last question.  is there anyway for us to auto restart jriver if it crashes? meaning if i go out of town or on vacation and jriver crashes, is there a way for it to auto close the server and reopen it?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?

they went to your site and downloaded jriver, then went to file, library, connect to, and put in my ip address, it loaded the library, 19.2mb and then they chose theaterview and files were there, and played.  they live states away... but i'm not seeing there ip at all in jriver i only see my own, i am however seeing when they decide to play a song, is that how it is suppose to be?
I'm not sure if you'll see an IP address.

Logging has some options.  One of them lets you see which files are being played.
is there anyway for us to auto restart jriver if it crashes? meaning if i go out of town or on vacation and jriver crashes, is there a way for it to auto close the server and reopen it?
Get a log if it crashes and mail it to us.  It shouldn't crash.  See the link called "stability" in my signature.

HTPC4ME

thanks jim for replies.. i'll be at parents this weekend and will run tests. i have a hunch.. its my friends pc. i do know for a fact there running very minimal hardware. like 512 memory.
Pages: [1]   Go Up