INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC crashes with m4a and 15.0.35 [solved -- bad DirectShow filter]  (Read 4301 times)

Audiothrill

• Recent member

After upgrading from 15.0.32 to .35 MC crashes instantly while selecting an .m4a file (using
"DC-Bass Source" - on "automatic" the file is played), other formats work correctly.

Reinstalling 0.32 the problem is still here.

Thanks for any help on the subject.

villager

• Recent member
Re: MC crashes on loading m4a after installing build 15.0.35
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2010, 06:07:06 am »

I am having the same problem with my Win 7 device. No such problem on Vista.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2010, 07:02:13 am »

Did you reboot?  Uninstall, reinstall?

Double check how the file is handled in MC Options.  Try changing settings there.

Audiothrill

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2010, 08:08:04 am »

Hi JimH

Yes, I did reboot. The system is Vista 64. I did not uninstall, but only tried to install the older version over .35 again, which did not help.

Options do not show anything particular - settings seem to be kept as before the upgrade - all other file types work as before.

Do you recommend uninstalling then?

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2010, 08:43:19 am »

Do your m4a files contain Apple Lossless Codec (ALAC)?

There is a recent report that some such files crash DC-BASS filter on Windows 7.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

Audiothrill

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2010, 09:58:47 am »

Couldn't tell... standard files bought from iTunes store! Not converted nor otherwise manipulated...

Regarding your link, I have had the "noise issue" with exactly two files (out of a few thousands) some moment ago. These two files were/are not playable by MC, though coming from the same source as the rest.

The crashes are instantly! Nothing .... loading... trying... waiting... as also seen by trying wrong codecs in earlier moments.

Here it's click/ message: MC works no longer...

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2010, 10:10:49 am »

iTunes DRM files will require using Quicktime for playback, which you can do from inside MC.  You'll lose the ability to apply DSP and some other things, but they will play.

Maybe you could buy MP3 files instead. 

Audiothrill

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2010, 06:11:50 pm »

Oh! This one is a little bit to fast for me! Did I get you right... this issue is due to a change of policy?

I prefer ripping wav from my CD's anyway and I can buy mp3 as well, but I use some m4a too and I finally appreciated to have it over DC-Bass Source instead of Quicktime...

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2010, 07:20:44 pm »

My guess is that something changed at Apple and that DCBass can't handle it yet.  Tell Apple what you want.

Audiothrill

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2010, 04:06:50 am »

All I want, is to find my way to a reliable better sound out of my PC. And hopefully as a possible side effect, additionally understand a minimum of why things are, as they are.

Task not fully accomplished in this case.

Thanks for the moment and please do not mind if I do not tell Apple, what I want. I told it to you.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2010, 06:41:36 am »

Please provide more details.

Are your m4a files Apple DRM protected?  If yes, they can only be played through Quicktime engine.  This is not a change of "policy" on our part.  It is the way it is.  That is what protected files are supposed to behave.

If they are not protected, are they encoded with ALAC?  Are they recently encoded?

Before you upgrade to build 35, were you able to play the same file on the same computer?  Has there been any change in your system?  Have you installed a new version of DC-BASS?  Any other filters? Applications?

Audiothrill

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2010, 08:01:10 am »

My m4a are acquired exclusively from iTunes store during the last 12 months, so I must presume they are under DRM...

And I did not have the minimum of a problem, playing them on my PC and MC/DC-Bass (1.1.1) until I have installed build 35. - Build 32 was still perfect and build 35 no longer. All there, the same settings, the same system.

The MC version is 15.0.32 below, because I've allready tried to step back, as mentioned earlier.

My system:

Media Center 15.0.32 Registered -- C:\Program Files (x86)\J River\Media Center 15\

Microsoft Windows Vista 6.0 Service Pack 2 (Build 6002)
Intel Pentium III 2127 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 4192 MB, Free - 1844 MB

Internet Explorer: 8.0.6001.18904 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.82.6001 / Shlwapi.dll: 6.0.6002 / Shell32.dll: 6.0.6002 / wnaspi32.dll: N/A
Ripping /   Drive E: Optiarc BD DRV BC-5600S   Mode:Normal  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Digital playback: Yes /  Get cover art: Yes /  Calc replay gain: Yes /  Copy volume: 100
  Eject after ripping: Yes /  Play sound after ripping: No 

Burning /  Drive E: Optiarc  BD DRV BC-5600S    Addr: 0:1:0  Speed:16  MaxSpeed:16  BurnProof:Yes
  Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Write CD-Text: Yes
  Use playback settings: No /

Portable Device Info
  Removed devices:

Interface Plugins:
  last.fm (Active)
  TiVo Server (Active)

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2010, 08:31:16 am »

If the files played through DC-Bass Source Filter then they are not DRM protected.

I am not an iTunes Store customer, but doesn't the store clearly state what kind of DRM protection (if any) the purchased product has?

My understanding is that the regular 128 kbps iTunes files are DRM protected and the newer 256kbps iTunes+ files are unprotected. AFAIK, the store doesn't sell lossless audio files.

Regarding DC-Bass Source Filter the version 1.11 has a problem with Unicode characters in the filenames. The developer has released a newer beta version (1.2) that has Unicode support. It is available at the DSP-Worx forum: http://forum.dsp-worx.de/viewtopic.php?p=2085#2085 and, for instance, in the Direct Show Filter Pack: http://www.degeelebosch.nl/corone/ . DSFP is a nice package that allows to easily install and uninstall individual filters.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Audiothrill

• Recent member
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2010, 12:59:38 pm »

Yes, I share your understanding on DRM and m4a. My files are 256k and used to play through DC-Bass, so by consequence no DRM. I have misled myself in the context.

Now following your links, I became aware that 1.2 (and DSFP) are specified for XP/ W32K exclusively... can they be applicable on a Vista64?... Sorry - but if I knew, I would not ask.

In fact, I have had my 1.11 with an installer and do not even remember, if there has been a choice on the download site. 

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2010, 06:24:03 pm »

Now following your links, I became aware that 1.2 (and DSFP) are specified for XP/ W32K exclusively... can they be applicable on a Vista64?... Sorry - but if I knew, I would not ask.

As far as I can tell, there is no problem using it on Vista.  I use the same version on Windows 7.

Audiothrill

• Recent member
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2010, 03:37:38 am »

I cannot install it. The registering fails, maybe a path issue?

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2010, 09:50:49 am »

I cannot install it. The registering fails, maybe a path issue?

Start > All Programs > Accessories

Right Click on "Command Prompt", and choose "Run as administrator".

In the Command Prompt window, run the batch program (register.bat if you downloaded DC-BASS alone, or install.bat if you downloaded DSFP).

Audiothrill

• Recent member
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2010, 12:39:51 pm »

The problem appears later, when "regsvr32.exe" does not find "DCBassSource.ax" at an expected place.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2010, 02:15:57 pm »

The problem appears later, when "regsvr32.exe" does not find "DCBassSource.ax" at an expected place.

Sorry about that.

Try this:

1. Open Command Prompt as described in my previous post.  
2. In Command Prompt, navigate to the folder where DCBass is located (this folder should contain DCBassSource.ax, register.bat, and a number of other files).
3. Run register.bat (alternatively, run 'regsvr32.exe DCBassSource.ax') in Command Prompt.

Audiothrill

• Recent member
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2010, 08:16:31 pm »

I succeeded finally. Had to run "cmd.exe" with administrator rights and enter "regsvr32.exe c:\...full path...\dcbasssource.ax". Thanks, without your hints, I wouldn't have had this little satisfaction on my struggle with Vista.

DCBass 1.2 is now registered and can be selected by MC Settings. Unluckywise the result is the same as before, MC15 shuts down with DCBass 1.1 & 1.2. By the way, this is valid for all filetypes, not only m4a.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2010, 08:38:00 pm »

By the way, this is valid for all filetypes, not only m4a.

Now this is  more serious.  Maybe it has nothing to do with DC-BASS after all.

Email me a log file of this crash.

yaobing at jriver dot com

Audiothrill

• Recent member
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2010, 06:28:05 am »

.... Yes! ...After a few more random checks I become aware, that the problem is not specific for DC Bass but for Direct show audio options in general! In a first approach, I'd say that options "automatic" and "JRiver Input Plugin" work correctly, but everything related to using "Direct Show filters" is locked.

TV playback is not affected though, sound included.

Unfortunately I am not profound enough in the subject to give you a more concise or systematic report without further guidance.

I've sent you the logfile before.

villager

• Recent member
« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2010, 03:18:11 pm »

I have also sent to you a log from my program crash using m4a files in version 15.0.35.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2010, 03:19:45 pm »

15.0.38 is at the top of the MC15 board now.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2010, 07:02:21 pm »

Logs provided by both of you show crashes in DirectShow, possibly in DC-BASS.  The only other filter in the graph is JRiver Audio Renderer.

Please try build 15.0.38.  If you still experience crashes, please do the following:

Select "JRiver video engine (using DirectShow filters)" for Playback Method.  Use Default Windows playback device instead of "Same as device used in audio playback"  (Tools > Options > Video > Audio for Video, DVD, & Television > Playback device).

Email me a log file again after playing a file using this configuration.

villager

• Recent member
« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2010, 03:51:02 pm »

I set up my Win 7 PC as suggested, using version 15.0.38; I also had to set the connection type to digital. This combination of settings seems to be able to handle m4a files without problem. Thanks for your help!

Yaobing

• Administrator
Re: MC crashes with m4a and 15.0.35 [solved -- bad DirectShow filter]
« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2010, 04:48:11 pm »

There was indeed a bug.  I was able to reproduce it after trying to use ASIO.  Using digital output probably by-passed that problem.  The fix will be in build 40 or higher.

Audiothrill

• Recent member
Re: MC crashes with m4a and 15.0.35 [solved -- bad DirectShow filter]
« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2010, 06:25:51 pm »

Yes, I can confirm, the method and digital output work on my system too.

Thanks for everybody's support.
Pages: [1]   Go Up