INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Weak Dialog on Some Movies  (Read 1272 times)

nwboater

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Weak Dialog on Some Movies
« on: May 16, 2010, 02:21:57 pm »

We are just getting Videos functional in MC. Using 15.0.35. We have all our DVDs ripped to a server and playback is on a client. On those that have a selection of the sound format everything is fine if we chose 'Stereo'. For those that don't have the selection the dialog is barely heard. I believe it's because the dialog is routed to a center channel and we don't have one.

We are using an EMU-0404USB DAC which outputs 2 analog channels. Our settings are as follows:
AUDIO
Output Mode: Asio
DSP & Output Format: Nothing checked.  (I tried various setting in the Output Format and nothing seemed to help.)

VIDEO
Playback Device: EMU-0404  (Tried setting this at 'Same as in Audio', and I lost all sound.)
Playback Method: Automatic
Audio Decoders: Automatic

Any ideas or suggestions would sure be appreciated.

Thanks,
Rod

nwboater

• MC Beta Team
Re: Weak Dialog on Some Movies
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2010, 07:04:46 pm »

I've done some  more digging into the problem. Perhaps the following might help someone to figure out how to help me resolve it.

Playing a ripped DVD movie in Sage TV has the exact same behavior: Movies that have an audio menu that allow me to set it to 'Stereo' or 2 speakers has full volume audio on the dialog (center channel information). Those that don't have an Audio menu have very weak dialog.

I played a movie on the same computer using an old copy of PowerDVD. It has Configuration settings in the program that allow for the number of speakers. If I set it for 2 speakers, all is well. With it set for more speakers I have the same problem.

I can't find any kind of setting in MC that tells it I only have 2 speakers. Anyone have an idea what I can do?

Thanks,
Rod

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2010, 07:14:00 pm »

Build 44 is now available.  It has a couple of changes that might help.

Output format (in DSP) lets you take 5.1 output and downmix to stereo.

nwboater

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2010, 08:20:07 pm »

Build 44 is now available.  It has a couple of changes that might help.

Output format (in DSP) lets you take 5.1 output and downmix to stereo.

Jim - I don't believe your timing on this!

Unfortunately there's both good and bad news. Setting the output format in Audio DSP to down-mix to 2 channels gives good audio - the dialog is now at proper volume. Besides setting the down-mix, I had to set in Video to 'Use the same Audio Device as in Audio'.

The bad news is that I have serious pauses (is it called studdering?) in the video. I have changed back the 'Same Audio Device..' to it's original setting of EMU-0404USB (My DAC) and the video is fine, but of course dialog is weak. Have gone back and forth a few times and it always shifts the same way.

Does this belong under 'Weird & Wonderful'?

Rod

Pages: [1]   Go Up