INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Slow "saving tags"  (Read 1235 times)

topher_m

Slow "saving tags"
« on: May 18, 2010, 08:12:04 pm »

Hi

Generally love MC - already done several upgrades over the years but one nagging problem.  On the bright side, if we can solve this (or educate me) then I am willing to upgrade again and keep going!

Saving tags is extremely slow.
I have a brand new i5 desktop with 8Gb ram saving over wireless N network to a Netgear ReadyNas.
Everytime I close MC, it sits there "saving tags" for various number of tags, sometime after I have done nothing to alter the files.
If I save cover art for 5 albums, it might take 1-2 hours for it to save all the tags.

I know someone will say network speed but I can save and resave these files a zillion times over in the time it takes to save the tags.
It is not unusual for me to have to go to bed and leave computer running to complete savings tags because I just can't wait hours.

What is going on?
Haven't seen any clear answers or tips searching the forum.
What can I can change in settings?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Slow "saving tags"
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2010, 09:48:18 pm »

Playcounts are saved in tags, so tags will be changed automatically sometimes.

You've probably got a network related problems, but it could be a virus checker or similar.

MC won't change the tag for the file you're playing until you stop.

An album should take a minute or less to update.

Try some local files as a test.  That will tell you whether the drive and network are the problem or not.

I edited your post to tone it down a little.  Maybe you could do that next time.  The problem you have is not an MC problem.

new_vorgod

Re: Slow "saving tags"
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2010, 02:48:37 am »

Hi

As Jim states this is probably not a MC problem. But as the problem is experienced using MC users will relate the problem to MC.

I have only ever used MC in a wireless setup (for around 10 years)... and it has never been a better experience than right now - Almost perfect (Perfect being a word not often used by Danes!)

Saving Tags has always been an issue - In MC14 I was often surprised when closing down to see that MC still needed to save 1000-2000 tags. Eventhough i had not changed/updated anything actively.

but 2 hours for 5 albums is very slow.

Are you sure that MC is not saving more tags? (you can see the number at the bottom of the screen)

Pages: [1]   Go Up