INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tags are lost during upgrade to new MC version  (Read 1155 times)

ps01

Tags are lost during upgrade to new MC version
« on: June 01, 2010, 06:49:10 am »

Hello!
whenever I upgrade to a new MC version (just done from MC14 to MC15), some files lose their tags during import. I have to tag these files manually and everything is fine until the next upgrade. I found out that these files are "wavesound / *.wav" files. Is there a setting I overlooked?
Thx Peter

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Tags are lost during upgrade to new MC version
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2010, 07:59:00 am »

WAV files are not normally tagged internally, so the tags are in the library.  MC15 can automatically find and import an MC14 library.  Or you can make a backup from MC14 (under File/Library) and then import that into MC15.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
Re: Tags are lost during upgrade to new MC version
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2010, 08:33:38 am »

Adding physical tags to wave files wasn't possible until recently. It was added during the MC14 development cycle.

The feature is not enabled by default because there's no guarantee that the tags would not cause problems with other player programs or hardware player devices. The tags are stored in a way that conforms Microsoft's wave file standard, but most other players do not understand tags in wave files and some may even have playback problems with tagged wave files.

You can enable wave tagging in Tools > Plug-In Manager > Input > Wave & AIFF Plugin > Configure...  After the feature is enabled, you can do "Update Tags (from library)".

However, as Jim said, you can always preserve your old library data by restoring a library backup file. In addition to all field values a library backup file contains the playlists, statistics and most if not all of the customized view configuration (schemes, columns, sorting, etc). Some view related things may have changed during the development process and thus may not be preservable.

In the previous MC version: File > Library > Back Up Library...
In the new MC version: File > Library > Restore Library...
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755
Pages: [1]   Go Up