INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: FLAC Playback error with Buffer > 2 Seconds  (Read 2497 times)

MikeAus

• Recent member
FLAC Playback error with Buffer > 2 Seconds
« on: June 08, 2010, 08:41:36 am »

FLAC won't play with buffer more than 2 sec !
I am having this exact problem. I am playing a lot of video files, the sound on these is terrible unless you set the Audio Output Settings (WASAPI) to maximum Buffering (More Skip Resistant).
This fixes my Video playback, and sound is perfect. However, now when I play Audio music files, it works fine for MP3, but FLAC fails with an error, 'Playback could not be started ...'
So Video fine with max buffer, MP3 playback fine with max buffer, FLAC fails with any buffer greater than 2 seconds.
Workaround for now, set buffer to max for Video, manually change to less than 2 secs. for FLAC Audio playback.
Any way to set this automatically for Video - Max buffer, and Audio < 2 secs ?
I believe more people will run into this issue over time who use Video and Flac.
Thanks!

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: FLAC Playback error with Buffer > 2 Seconds
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2010, 09:21:12 am »

What is the sample rate, number of channels, and bit depth of the FLAC files?

What soundcard are you using that you need 2 seconds of buffering for video?  For video, it's better to use small values (like 0.1 seconds) or else the video lags for a bit after a seek while the lip sync matches up.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

MikeAus

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2010, 07:56:53 pm »

FLAC files are just standard, 2channel 16bit 44.1HZ.

For video, it's better to use small values (like 0.1 seconds) or else the video lags for a bit after a seek while the lip sync matches up.
I have found with Video I need to use maximum buffer then all is perfect no lags and in sync. I am playing the Video over my Network from a NAS so I need to buffer it to stop dropouts. I am using a USB Musiland DAC. When using Windows Media Player I just set a 30 second Buffer, anything less and I get dropouts, chopping etc. So I need the large Buffer for Video playback to work.

I guess my main question is, why does FLAC only work with Buffer < 2 secs.
Ideally, can I have a different buffer setting for Video and Audio? That would solve my problem.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2010, 08:14:02 pm »

My understanding is that you're setting buffering in:
Options > Audio > Output mode settings...

And in video, you're selecting:
Options > View > Playback device > Same as device used in audio playback

For audio, you should instead be increasing prebuffering in Options > Audio > Prebuffering.  The buffering for the output mode should be kept as small as possible (use 0.5 seconds (the default) or less with a good computer).

As for video buffering, we have a pretty sophisticated buffering reader that's used for video playback of URLs and television over the network.  As an example, it makes HDTV playback over a slow wifi network work really well.  I'm not certain if this reader is getting used for the files you're using.  What types are the videos, and what is an example filename?

Thanks.

MikeAus

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2010, 07:04:21 am »

I just tested again.
For audio, you should instead be increasing prebuffering in Options >  Audio > Prebuffering
YES this is what I have to do to stop Audio bad sync/skipping/jitter in Video, set to MAX Buffer.
The buffering for the output mode should be kept as small as possible (use 0.5 seconds )
This is my problem. Video will only sound good when this ALSO is set to MAX.
Works great for Video, however playing FLAC Audio fails with the high Output buffer set. MP3 works fine . Once you go below 2 secs. it works fine also for FLAC - however then Video Audio is stuffed!
Videos are .avi mainly Xvid, filename like:
Black Books.S01E01.Cooking The Books.avi

What is the problem with FLAC playback and Output Buffer > 2.0 seconds?

HiFiTubes

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2010, 12:58:45 pm »

Matt,

Interesting mention of the video buffering. Please see other threads for details as something is still overunning buffers with high rez audio.

My understanding is that you're setting buffering in:
Options > Audio > Output mode settings...

And in video, you're selecting:
Options > View > Playback device > Same as device used in audio playback

For audio, you should instead be increasing prebuffering in Options > Audio > Prebuffering.  The buffering for the output mode should be kept as small as possible (use 0.5 seconds (the default) or less with a good computer).

As for video buffering, we have a pretty sophisticated buffering reader that's used for video playback of URLs and television over the network.  As an example, it makes HDTV playback over a slow wifi network work really well.  I'm not certain if this reader is getting used for the files you're using.  What types are the videos, and what is an example filename?

Thanks.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2010, 01:16:33 pm »

If you use the system audio renderer instead of JRiver renderer, does the video's audio play correctly?

Change:
Options > View > Playback device

Same as device used in audio playback

To:
[Name of your soundcard]

MikeAus

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2010, 10:23:05 pm »

Change:
Options > View > Playback device

Same as device used in audio playback

To:
[Name of your soundcard]

Tested this. The video now plays OK with a buffer below 2 secs, hence the FLAC ALSO plays!
THANKS.
Pages: [1]   Go Up