INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help controlling MC14 with USB-UIRT?  (Read 3066 times)

steveklein

• Galactic Citizen
Help controlling MC14 with USB-UIRT?
« on: June 15, 2010, 12:49:38 pm »

I have a Universal Remote Control URC-R50 that I use to control all the components of my system (receiver, tv, xbox, cable box, etc)

However, I have yet to find a good solution to be able to control J River Media Center using this remote control. I have a USB-UIRT device, but when I go into MC options to set up the remote control, it says I have no devices connected. What do I need? I also have Girder if that is necessary.

steveklein

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Help controlling MC14 with USB-UIRT?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2010, 07:33:45 am »

here is what i see

can anyone offer any help?

thanks a ton,
steve

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2010, 11:18:36 am »

I'm sorry, but I don't know.  You might try unchecking one or both of the other options (except for USB UIRT).

Osho

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2010, 07:18:33 pm »

I have USB-UIRT with which I used to control MC14 (and now control MC15) - both works great.

I am not using the built-in USB_UIRT support in MC though (primarily because how long it takes for it to kick in upon startup - delay is more than what I Would prefer). The way I use USB-UIRT with MC15 is via a program called HIP from byremote. Here is a link: http://www.byremote.com.au/HIP/Default.htm. I map all keys on the remote with the appropriate keyboard short-cuts (there is a Wiki page here on J River's website that describes them). This works great. Note that if you are using Windows 7, you should get the beta version from http://forums.dvbowners.com/index.php?s=8bd2f06894380703b7edcbde26fde7e0&showtopic=11819.

Osho

steveklein

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2010, 06:27:32 am »

I have USB-UIRT with which I used to control MC14 (and now control MC15) - both works great.

I am not using the built-in USB_UIRT support in MC though (primarily because how long it takes for it to kick in upon startup - delay is more than what I Would prefer). The way I use USB-UIRT with MC15 is via a program called HIP from byremote. Here is a link: http://www.byremote.com.au/HIP/Default.htm. I map all keys on the remote with the appropriate keyboard short-cuts (there is a Wiki page here on J River's website that describes them). This works great. Note that if you are using Windows 7, you should get the beta version from http://forums.dvbowners.com/index.php?s=8bd2f06894380703b7edcbde26fde7e0&showtopic=11819.

Osho

Since I was unable to get it working natively in Media Center, I'm willing to give this a shot. However, the download link was broken and when I went to byremote's site and navigated to downloads, I couldn't find a link to download the software anywhere. Do you have a copy of it you could upload somewhere?

EDIT: Now their site is working; Seemed to just be a hiccup, I will give it a try and report back here.

steveklein

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2010, 07:48:23 am »

Osho,

Is there any way you could send me your HIP configuration file that controls MC? I am a bit overwhelmed by the software to be honest and could use a starting point.

Thanks,
Steve

steveklein

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2010, 02:50:40 pm »

After messing around with the software for an hour or so, I figured it out.

I successfully programmed my URC-R50 remote to control J River Media Center, with one major caveat. The IR codes only work about 50% of the time. When I programmed the codes into HIP using my USB-UIRT, it appeared that the buttons I was programming on my remote would toggle between 2 different codes, one which worked, one which didn't. So for some of my buttons like skip track and others, I might have to press twice for it to work. This obviously is proving to be very annoying.

How should I go about solving this?

Part of me believes I was simply unlucky when choosing the device on my remote. I simply created a device and named it J River. However, the set of IR codes was just from some random device, I think a Sony DVD player or something. I need to use a device that every time a button is pressed, it sends the same IR code, not toggles between two different ones.

Am I missing something here?

steveklein

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2010, 04:51:00 pm »

Ugh. I deleted the device and started over.

This time I picked a Yamaha DVD player. Different problem. Now instead of sending one code, it sends it 2 or 3 times when I learn it. End result, I hit the up arrow on my remote and it moves up 2 or 3 spots instead of the desired one.

It is a long process to program a device so if anyone has any idea how to just get this to work without me taking random shots of luck by randomly picking a set of IR commands only to have problems, PLEASE let me know.

Osho

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2010, 05:32:16 pm »

I never used Universal Remote Control URC-R50. I use Harmony Logitech 890. It only sends one IR code per each button and hence getting HIP + MC to work was a pretty straight-forward process.

Osho

steveklein

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2010, 05:47:29 pm »

what IR codes do you use?

could you upload your config file as an attachment here or email it to me? i think i can figure it out if i have that piece of it from you.

steveklein

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2010, 05:53:22 pm »

Like where did you learn the codes from? What's the source of the IR codes that you are sending from your Harmony. Having those would be really nice.

Osho

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2010, 07:25:16 pm »

Like where did you learn the codes from? What's the source of the IR codes that you are sending from your Harmony. Having those would be really nice.

The way I programmed HIP was to press a button on Harmony 890 and HIP will recognize that IR code. It will ask me to press it again to confirm the IR code. Then, I can associate a particular event (Such as keyboard press). I did this for all the buttons on the remote control.

I am not sure that sending my configuration will necessarily help you as Harmony 890 would certainly be sending the different IR codes than your remote device. I could still send it to you if you really want it.

Osho

steveklein

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2010, 07:56:38 pm »

The way I programmed HIP was to press a button on Harmony 890 and HIP will recognize that IR code. It will ask me to press it again to confirm the IR code. Then, I can associate a particular event (Such as keyboard press). I did this for all the buttons on the remote control.

I am not sure that sending my configuration will necessarily help you as Harmony 890 would certainly be sending the different IR codes than your remote device. I could still send it to you if you really want it.

Osho

This is how I programmed it to. But your Harmony buttons have to be for some device. I've got buttons on my URC-R50, but it isn't sending out IR signal until I tell it is some advice. So I just use some bogus one and use those IR codes which should work fine, but I keep having various issues as described above. I'd still like to take a look at your file though.

When you press the volume button on your Harmony, does it change the volume on your receiver? If so, that tells me your volume is assigned to some brand of receiver's IR codes. Do you see what I'm getting at?
Pages: [1]   Go Up