INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: "Rip Failed" Error With Multiple CD's  (Read 3050 times)

tangolovers

• World Citizen
"Rip Failed" Error With Multiple CD's
« on: June 25, 2010, 06:48:40 pm »

I've been ripping dozens of CD's and suddenly had a rip error on one song.  It got part way through ripping and then said it failed (with some Chinese looking characters above the failed message). I was able to rip all others except this one.  Brand new CD, not a copy.  I first took it to another computer in the house and was able to rip fine.  THen I opened MC13 and it ripped fine there.

Now, I have another CD and same problem.  This time the rip error occured on the first song so I immediately tried MC13 again, but this time "no luck".  

These are all original CD's from the US - Madona and Sade - not uncommon stuff.

Please Help!
Susie
SusieM - I'm Using MC on MacOS & Windows 10.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: "Rip Failed" Error With Multiple CD's
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2010, 07:05:54 pm »

Try turning "secure rip" on or off in MC.

tangolovers

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2010, 07:56:49 pm »

I went to Rip Options and under Copy Mode it was set to "Normal" so I switched it to Secure.  Not sure if this is what you meant, but I'll let you know if it works.

Thanks for the fast response.

Susie

tangolovers

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2010, 09:44:42 am »

If I've understood you correctly about changing the rip mode to "secure" from "normal", it worked on one song, but nothing else.   It is extremely slow.  I've never had this much trouble ripping CD's... I really thing there's something awry.   Now I'm getting quite a few that are giving me a "ripped failed" error.  Usually (not always) when this error occurs it's on only one song on the CD, not the whole CD.

I tried again with my travel computer which is still on MC13 and it failed too.  So this doesn't seem to be unique to MC15, but I've never run into this before and now it's happening on many CD's.  Has me a bit concerned.

Surely, I can't be the only one experiencing this.  Hope you can shed some light. 

Thanks,
Susie

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2010, 06:49:52 am »

Could be a bad drive, a bad disk, or some other software causing problems.  Did anything change recently?  Virus checker, etc.?

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2010, 10:31:47 am »

MC15 is ripping discs fine here.  I don't do it very often (I buy all my music electronically now), but I just tested it to be sure.  Working fine here.

If you want to test out to see if the issue is MC specific, try grabbing a copy of EAC and ripping the same discs with it.  Be sure to put it on Secure mode and set the ripping to the same format settings.  If EAC also fails, you almost certainly have a hardware issue or software conflict.

If not, then something else might be going on.  Either way, here's a good list of things I'd look at to solve the issue:

1. Check MC's Temp file location (Options -> File Location -> Program Files -> Temporary Files).  Ensure that it exists and is writable (try actually creating a file there using an application that runs under your permissions, like Word or Photoshop).

2. Likewise, check MC's rip Location and make sure it exists and is writable.  Check Options -> File Location and test the Audio rip location.

3. Check MC's Rip Encoding settings (Options -> Encoding, and then choose Encoding for CD Ripping) to make sure you don't have something weird enabled.  If you have it set to something odd, set this to something simple like MP3 encoder, target quality Normal.  If it is already set to MP3 Encoding, try setting it to something else simpler like Uncompressed Wave and trying again.  It could be a borked downloaded LAME exe file causing the errors, I suppose.

4. Try turning off your Anti-Virus program and trying again.

5. If you're using any Optical Drive emulation application, like Daemon Tools or Alcohol 120%, try disabling them, rebooting, and trying again.  Likewise, if you are using CD burning software on the computer like ImgBurn, make sure you are using the most up-to-date versions.  Older versions of a common SPTI driver are known to cause malfunctions in many scenarios.

6. If you have a drag-to-disc UDF CD Read/Writer application, like Roxio DirectCD or Nero InCD, installed, UNINSTALL IT IMMEDIATELY.  These applications are, for lack of a better word, complete and utter crap.  They cause all sorts of problems, and shouldn't be used to create CDs anyway because they'll be nearly impossible to read on anyone else's system.

7. Check to ensure that none of your drives have reverted to PIO mode.  If Windows has disabled DMA mode, this is likely a strong indication of hardware errors or driver issues.  Windows will disable DMA transfers after encountering repeated DMA errors, and revert to backwards-compatible PIO mode (which is DRAMATICALLY slower).

Windows Vista/7 Instructions: http://forums.vso-software.fr/how-to-check-enable-dma-transfers-in-windows-vista-t8013.html
Windows XP Instructions: http://forums.vso-software.fr/how-to-check-enable-dma-transfers-in-windows-xp-t2796.html

Here is one of the many Microsoft Knowledge Base articles on this issue: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/817472
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

tangolovers

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2010, 09:47:22 pm »

Wow, Glynor....you've given me a lot to chew on.   I will start checking these things.  The odd thing is that it happened on a completely different computer of mine running MC13.  I will keep you posted.

Thanks,
Susie

SiGuy

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2010, 09:53:48 pm »

Susie,

are you ripping to a networked drive or to storage local on the machine doing the rip?  Since earlier builds of MC15, I've not been able to rip to locations on my shared network drive.  I reported this on an earlier build, but haven't gotten a response & the problem still exists. 

If you are ripping to a network location, try changing to local & see if your rip succeeds.  Please report back what you find.

Pages: [1]   Go Up