INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Suggestion to improve Remove Cover Art action  (Read 1627 times)

MusicHawk

• Citizen of the Universe
Suggestion to improve Remove Cover Art action
« on: July 12, 2010, 10:55:50 am »

Once Remove Cover Art is clicked, apparently the action can't be canceled. The resulting dialog doesn't confirm the removal, it asks about a second operation: Whether the file also should be permanently deleted from disk.

But whether the response to "delete file" is Yes or No, the cover art always gets removed from the track. There is no actual confirmation of whether Cover Art should be discarded from the track.

AND: The Remove Cover Art action can't be cancelled. The close-dialog X is interpreted as proceeding with the cover art removal. I think the X should be a full stop, do NOTHING except bail out of the action.

Also, it would be good if the dialog had a third CANCEL button.

This can lead to a serious problem because it can be a huge challenge to restore the "oops" removed cover art. Quick Find relies on a tag-to-file naming formula that doesn't always apply to the situation (maybe 20% of my tracks can use it). The cover art might not still (or ever) be on the Internet. On the local drive, the name of the cover art file might be a tad mysterious to re-locate (the reason Quick Find can't find it). Or, it can be a huge job: My Cover Art folder has more than 12 thousand files, not easy to wander around looking for the one I just "lost".
Managing my media with JRiver since Media Jukebox 8 (maybe earlier), currently use Media Center for Audio/Music and Photos/Videos.
My career in media spans Radio, TV, Print, Photography, Music, Film, Online, Live, Advertising, as producer, director, writer, performer, editor, engineer, executive, owner. An exhausting but amazing ride.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Suggestion to improve Remove Cover Art action
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2010, 11:08:07 am »

It's good to be careful when removing files.

MusicHawk

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2010, 11:20:26 am »

I'm a very fast typist -- too fast, sometimes (I play keyboards in a band, somewhat by instinct I suppose).

I right-clicked on a track, and 99% of the time the first item is Get From Internet. My hand was faster than my eyes (and brain) so I clicked, but the MRU had moved Remove Cover Art to the first position. Oops.

So yes, going slower and being careful is good advice. But still, since there's already a second dialog, I think it should provide a Cancel option.
Managing my media with JRiver since Media Jukebox 8 (maybe earlier), currently use Media Center for Audio/Music and Photos/Videos.
My career in media spans Radio, TV, Print, Photography, Music, Film, Online, Live, Advertising, as producer, director, writer, performer, editor, engineer, executive, owner. An exhausting but amazing ride.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2010, 11:57:26 am »

This seems reasonable enough, so coming in build 74:
Changed: The confirmation about deleting disk files when removing cover art offers a cancel button.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

MusicHawk

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2010, 01:27:38 pm »

Thank you!

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2010, 01:54:35 pm »

Thank you!

+1 Thanks from me too. I've done this before as well. Fortunately, I could retrieve using "quick-find".
Pages: [1]   Go Up