INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Media Server not working by it self. Must have Media Center running to connect.  (Read 2474 times)

TMA-1

• World Citizen

Hi,

Im trying to get the Media Server running by it self, but I must have the Media Center Client running on the server-machine to access my library remotely.

Any clues?

Media Server should be able to run by it self, right?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?

Media Server is a reduced size MC.  You can read about this in the Wiki, starting at "Servers".

You can start Media Server on Windows startup.  It's in the options for MC startup.

TMA-1

• World Citizen

Yep I know, I got the Media Server up and running.

But when I connect remotely from another client I can not get a connection to my library untill I start the Media Center on the server. I get no connection with the Media Server running alone.

JimH

• Administrator

Yep I know, I got the Media Server up and running.

But when I connect remotely from another client I can not get a connection to my library untill I start the Media Center on the server. I get no connection with the Media Server running alone.
Maybe you have Media Server running from an old version.  MC14, for example.

dcwebman

I can confirm that the OP is sort of correct. I'm running media server on Win 7 and upon rebooting media server is not started. I checked Services and had to enable it to Automatic (MC15's). Even after rebooting again, Services shows it has started but no Media Server icon in the system tray. Nothing can connect to the server, locally or Internet. The only way to get it going is to start Media Center and that will get the Media Server started.
Jeff

JimH

• Administrator

Do you have MC set to start Media Server on Windows start?  It's in options under startup.

dcwebman

Do you have MC set to start Media Server on Windows start?  It's in options under startup.
I was hoping that was it but when I looked I already had it to set to start Media Server only, so that's not it. I can close MC after I open it to start Media Server and it continues to work, but the server doesn't start initially.

IMHO, I wouldn't have thought to look elsewhere after I checked to share my library, as I would have thought all options to ensure that always worked was in that one dialog.
Jeff

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!

I was hoping that was it but when I looked I already had it to set to start Media Server only, so that's not it. I can close MC after I open it to start Media Server and it continues to work, but the server doesn't start initially.

We create an entry here in the registry:
HKCU\\SOFTWARE\\Microsoft\\Windows\\CurrentVersion\\Run

You should also be able to see it by doing Windows Start Button > Run > msconfig.exe

Is the entry there?  Could something be blocking startup processes?

Thanks.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

dcwebman

We create an entry here in the registry:
HKCU\\SOFTWARE\\Microsoft\\Windows\\CurrentVersion\\Run

Is the entry there?  Could something be blocking startup processes?
There lies the problem. Nothing in the registry. I'm not sure what could be blocking MC from adding it to the registry as there are other programs that were successful in adding to that Run section. I just installed 78 and restarted but still nothing added. Just to add, it's Win 7 32 bit.
Jeff

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!

There lies the problem. Nothing in the registry. I'm not sure what could be blocking MC from adding it to the registry as there are other programs that were successful in adding to that Run section. I just installed 78 and restarted but still nothing added. Just to add, it's Win 7 32 bit.

Try turning off, then back on:
Options > Startup > Windows Startup > Media Server

Watch the registry as you do it.  That option should be creating the key.  I can't think why it wouldn't work.

Thanks.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

JimH

• Administrator

Double check that you're looking at the right key.  I got it wrong the first time I looked.

dcwebman

Try turning off, then back on:
Options > Startup > Windows Startup > Media Server

Watch the registry as you do it.  That option should be creating the key.  I can't think why it wouldn't work.
That worked to add the registry entry. The only thing I can guess is this machine had MC14 installed first with media server. I can't recall if I stopped media server before I upgraded to MC15, but I do know I selected to copy the settings. The registry must not have been updated at some point even though the Option showed to start media server on startup.
Jeff
Pages: [1]   Go Up