INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Keep MC Directory Structure for Handheld/Device Sync  (Read 1403 times)

Nilsi

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
Keep MC Directory Structure for Handheld/Device Sync
« on: July 20, 2010, 03:50:40 pm »

Hello you all,

is there a way to keep/transfer the MC Directrory structure during a sync to Handheld/Synced HD? Is there a "switch" or something in the respective option of "Handheld - File & Paths" instead of a fixed definiton of Folder-Structure like "Music\[Artist]\[Album]"?

Background is, that i like to transfer my favorite MC Playlists to an external device (on which I have synced files) and therefore need the same file path on the external device as on the MC-PC. Or is there another way to do it? Talking about this, results of exported MC Playlist are not very satisfying, as for exsample drive letter needs to be removed manually and converted files need to be renamed e.g. from *.flac to *.mp3!

Thanx in advance

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Keep MC Directory Structure for Handheld/Device Sync
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2010, 07:17:48 pm »

is there a way to keep/transfer the MC Directrory structure during a sync to Handheld/Synced HD? Is there a "switch" or something in the respective option of "Handheld - File & Paths" instead of a fixed definiton of Folder-Structure like "Music\[Artist]\[Album]"?

This is gross, but will work.  For the folder rule, enter this to preserve two path levels:
ListItem([Filename (path)], Math(ListCount([Filename (path)], \) - 2), \)\ListItem([Filename (path)], Math(ListCount([Filename (path)], \) - 1), \)

Background is, that i like to transfer my favorite MC Playlists to an external device (on which I have synced files) and therefore need the same file path on the external device as on the MC-PC. Or is there another way to do it? Talking about this, results of exported MC Playlist are not very satisfying, as for exsample drive letter needs to be removed manually and converted files need to be renamed e.g. from *.flac to *.mp3!

The handheld engine allows you to select the playlist format in Options > Handheld.  It sounds like you want a format that uses relative paths.

Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

MusicHawk

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2010, 11:24:17 pm »

I would *love* a sync option that simply copied EXACTLY the same file paths and file names to the external device, nothing to configure, just check the box. My use is to sync from desktop to an external USB drive that I then connect to my laptop.

The current methods require so much configuring of sync options (and updating whenever the "main" paths/names gets changed) that instead I use an external backup program to do my syncing. It would be wonderful if MC could do "less" -- just use existing paths on the synced device, no changes.

Managing my media with JRiver since Media Jukebox 8 (maybe earlier), currently use Media Center for Audio/Music and Photos/Videos.
My career in media spans Radio, TV, Print, Photography, Music, Film, Online, Live, Advertising, as producer, director, writer, performer, editor, engineer, executive, owner. An exhausting but amazing ride.

Nilsi

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2010, 12:46:49 pm »

Thanks Matt, I'll try it out!
Pages: [1]   Go Up