INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Need MC15 on XP Machine to play music located on Win7 Machine.  (Read 1469 times)

tangolovers

• World Citizen

Until now I have had my music database duplicated on both my Windows 7 and XP machine, but now my music db is too large for my XP machine and it's too much work to duplicate.  Now, I would like to have all of my music reside only on my Windows 7 machine.  Is it possible that MC15 on the XP machine can play the music from the Windows 7 machine??  My machines are connected through a wired LAN router.

I have read through the forums and tried everything I can think of, but just can't get MC15 on my XP machine to play from the Windows 7.   On my XP machine (using Windows Explorer) I can see all of my folders and their contents on Windows 7 machine - all except Documents, Pictures and Music.  When I click on Documents, Pictures or Music I get an error indicating I don't have permission.  

On the Windows 7 Machine I have shared the folders and included specific Read permissions for the XP box, but no luck.  I've done this many times before, but I know XP and Windows 7 aren't too friendly.  

Both machines have the same User Account Name as well as the same Workgroup name.  

Is there any solution for this?

Thank you very much!!
Susie

I have also mapped the "D" drive on my Windows 7 machine.  None of this has worked.
SusieM - I'm Using MC on MacOS & Windows 10.

zxsix

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Need MC15 on XP Machine to play music located on Win7 Machine.
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2010, 06:29:22 am »

You are not in a domain so user "Bob" on each computer is not the same Bob as far as windows is concerned. Change the permissions and add SYSTEM, administrators, and everyone and give all of them full Control instead of read.   Then you should not get the permission issue.

tangolovers

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2010, 04:44:52 pm »

Hi Zxsix,

Thanks for your response... only thing is I was reluctant to give full permissions to the other computers because I don't want anyone accidentally changing the database.  How can we prevent this with full permissions?

Secondly,  is there something so different in granting full permissions vs. read only?  Do you really think this will make the folder contents suddenly visible?

Thank you,
Susie

MrC

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2010, 04:51:49 pm »

Permissions w/Win 7 will be an issue if you're using the Homegroup feature.

See

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itpronetworking/thread/9255b515-51d9-4947-b2c5-386562743e84

You can share fine w/the same use to just that user, if both users are defined on both systems.

Full permissions mean the ability to change, delete, modify, etc.  Read is just that - read only.  You can provide others (Everyone, and Guest) with just read permission.

Both the Share itself, and the files/folders need to be shared.  These are two distinct things.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

tangolovers

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2010, 05:19:57 pm »

Finally got it!!   Thank you MrC for directing me to the Windows website.  That was definitely a help in the right direction.  It was really quite simple.  I have documented it for myself as well as for anyone else who might need detailed instructions:

Detailed instructions for sharing music files located on a Windows 7 server:

1)  Share music on server as follows:  Right click on music folder, select
Share With -> Specific People -> Add -> Everyone
Set permissions for Everyone to Read or whatever your preference.

(Note:  It seems in Windows 7, you can’t accomplish this by clicking the folder then Properties -> Sharing -> Advanced Sharing -> Permissions, you don’t get the same results.)

2) Restore Library using same library from server machine – either via copy or accessing it directly over the network.

3) Click on Audio (top left) to display a list of all music files.  Highlight all files, right click and select:

Library Tools -> Rename, Move & Copy Files ->

Uncheck all boxes except Find & Replace.
Type in current Path and New Path. This should point MC15 to the files on the external drive.

For example:
Current path (local computer)1:   D:\Music\
New path (server)1,2 :      \\Susie-HP\Music\

Important Notes
1  Eventhough files may be located in D:\My Music, it’s likely “My Music” may actually need to be typed as “Music” – not sure why Windows sees it that way
2  If you’re not sure what this is, you can find it as follows:  On the server machine, right click on the music folder and select:  Properties->Sharing.  It will be the “Network Path”.  

Pages: [1]   Go Up