INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Don't upgrade if using XP  (Read 2041 times)

rhix

Don't upgrade if using XP
« on: June 21, 2002, 07:45:09 pm »

If you are running Windows XP, DO NOT upgrade to 8.0.  I have now tried two times to use 8.0 (three if you include the Beta release).  It is beyond unstable with XP.  It does not support multiple users, will crash even XP frequently, and in general should not have been released as an XP product.  If all you want to do is listen to one song at a time (and are lucky enough to be one of the users where it installs successfully) then it may be fine for you.  Otherwise, stay away and stay with 7.2 which seems to support XP just fine (only without the added features of 8.0)

Ceftin

RE:Don't upgrade if using XP
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2002, 07:56:34 pm »

Hmmmmm..... I have XP home edition and installed ver 8.0. Everything works fine.What ver of XP do you have? How do you have XP configured? How many profiles do you have setup for multiple users on Xp? i'm not sticking up for MJ its just that you make a very blanket statement that MIGHT not be warrented.You may be right in your findings but give us more info......... thanks

DeathRider

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2002, 08:02:17 pm »

I have to agree with Ceftin. I am running XP Pro mith multiple accounts using MJ and have had no problems. It is easier to ask for help even if it might be unrelated to MJ than to make unfounded statements with out all facts in hand.
Robert Long

gateley

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2002, 08:03:06 pm »

I've been running version 8 since before the beta on XP. No problems, though I haven't tried multiple users. Perhaps you could give a little more detail on the problems you are having.

j

geekboy200

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2002, 08:20:45 pm »

Likewise, I have only ever run 8.0 on XP Pro, and other than early beta issues, have had no problem.

chaznet

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2002, 09:50:10 pm »

XP Pro -- runs fine, have been using MJ8 since early-beta and haven't noticed anything that didn't appear in the bug listed posted with each new release...

JaredH

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Superfluously Articulate
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2002, 10:14:13 pm »

Same goes here too guys. Havent had a single problem as of yet. Not even during the Beta tests. Of course I run XP Home with only one account but still havent seen any problems when guest account is used during a forced log on.
J. A. Hayslett

Blog & Gallery - http://www.bgracetfaith.net

shelly

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2002, 10:52:28 pm »

I'm fairly certain that I'm not "lucky enough to be one of the users where it installs successfully", but rather, representative of the majority of users, all of whom experience MJ to be very stable on their XP machines. 8.0 has significant improvements over 7.2, so it would be a shame for users to shy away from installing 8.0 because of your statement.  I can understand your frustation, but the problem may be be tied to your XP installation.  You'll find lots of assistance here in troubleshooting possible causes, if you choose to follow that route.

Doclotus

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2002, 04:35:38 am »

Hi Rhix

I have been running MJ 8 since beta 8.0.232.  Am now using 8.0.302.  Have never had an XP stability problem on either XP home or XP Professional but then again I am religious about keeping XP updated.

Suggestions…
* Got to the Microsoft XP Windows Update site… http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/en/default.asp
& update all items that the site says your computer needs by doing a “Scan for updates”.  Be sure to update everything… Critical Updates & Service Packs, Windows XP, & Driver Updates.

We’re talking about a lot of updates… may be 50-60 items & many MB of data (if you have not been keeping Win XP up to date that is).

Some of the XP updates are to resolve various stability problems &/or update drivers & add better support to various devices.

NOTE: The updates that come to you automatically (from time-to-time) through Windows Messenger are less then 1/3 of all available updates.  Only the Critical updates  (mostly security patches) are brought to your attention this way.  In order to get ALL the updates, you must go to the Windows Updates site & select ALL items.  This is how you get new drivers & general XP updates.  You will be totally amazed as to just how many updates your XP is missing.

I never had a problem with MJ 8 on XP, but then again I am religious about keeping my computer updated.  The updates did resolve several other problems I was having including some very weird ones.

Try it… it can’t hurt & may very well resolve your problems (& some you didn’t know you had).

JimH

• Miller drives a tall-masted tractor on the ocean
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2002, 04:49:27 am »

Much of Media Jukebox was written on XP.
Jim Hillegass
JRiver Media Center / Media Jukebox

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2002, 04:55:31 am »

>> If you are running Windows XP, DO NOT upgrade to 8.0
maybe it is your system?

On My Windows XP Pro System It Works Fine.
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

Cmagic

• Enjoying life with a little music....
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2002, 02:26:48 pm »

Same here,
No problem using MJ8 since early beta builds with 4 acounts on XP-Pro.
Until the color of a man's skin is of no more significance
than the color of his eyes.
Bob Marley (War)

Dave

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2002, 02:55:58 pm »

Same here. Runs flawlessly on my XP machine.

DeathRider

• World Citizen
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2002, 03:08:47 pm »

I wonder, there has been no added reply from the originator of this thread. I had a wild thaught and it is but only a thaught but could the person or persons that posted the negative posts on CNet be the same person of this post since it looks more like an atempt at shying away new prospective users. I left a chalange on the CNet post that anyone that needed to see the facts could come to the interact page and see for them self. maybe we just had a change of tactics. Just a guess, I could be wrong and if I am then I appologies. And in that case the originator should research the issues he is having as apposed claiming bad code.
Robert Long

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2002, 03:38:48 pm »

DeathRider

>> it is but only a thaught but could the person or persons that posted the negative posts on CNet
Yep, He Has Nothing Better To Do With His Life, Sad Really
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

Chico

« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2002, 07:23:38 pm »

You're right King Sparta.  What happened to rhix?  Why not respond with answers to some of the question put to him here?  I have seen this on about every forum that relates to a particular piece of software where there is a lot of competion.  Music players are probably the worst!
Someone jumps in and bashes the product with absolutely nothing to support their statements.  For the most part, it is just to watch all the responses from fired-up users who love the software.

Hmmm... Comes with the terratory, I guess.

JimH

• Miller drives a tall-masted tractor on the ocean
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2002, 08:02:42 pm »

There was another post by him.  I think he got it going.

Just one of those things.
Jim Hillegass
JRiver Media Center / Media Jukebox
Pages: [1]   Go Up