INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can't Install Licence  (Read 1262 times)

mgb

• Recent member
Can't Install Licence
« on: July 25, 2010, 06:58:38 pm »

I decided to install it on my laptop, but it's been over 14 days since I originally purchased my MC 15 licence.  No problem, should be able to get a new licence using my registration code. That all goes fine - I even get an e-mail from buy-button@jriver.com with a .mjr file attached. (Down to 9 restores now).

This is on Windows 7, so I fire up MC15 and chose to 'Run as administrator', then go to 'Help->Install licence...', then select 'Restore licence from file (.mgr)'.  A file dialog pops up, and I select the provided .mjr file.

I get an 'Information' dialog box which says 'Error restoring Media Center Licence: Unknown Error'.

So now I'm stuck, without a clue to what's happening. Please help me get MC15 licensed on my Laptop.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Can't Install Licence
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2010, 07:03:36 pm »

This is on Windows 7, so I fire up MC15 and chose to 'Run as administrator',

There's no need to run as administrator.  This may confuse things, so try running again.  Disable any security / virus software that could interfere with other programs.

Let us know how your fare.  Thanks.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

mgb

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2010, 08:35:51 am »

Thanks Matt.  I've tried it both ways - as Administrator and without starting as Administrator.  It always ends the same way.

Also there is no Antivirus or security software on this machine other that Windows Firewall.  This is a fresh Windows 7 Starter edition install.

FWIW, I've found that if I don't run as Administrator on Win7 or Vista, then MC15 has trouble installing license and I get a similar 'Error restoring license'.  Simply running as Administrator has resolved the problem multiple times in the past.

Is there any way to find out what is going wrong.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2010, 08:55:06 am »

You can just save the Install Key (mjr file) and execute it in Explorer.

But if you connect from the laptop and use the Restore page, installation of the license is automatic.

Use IE as your browser. 

More info under "Purchase" above.

mgb

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2010, 04:09:32 pm »

There is no problem getting MC to attempt to install the license key.  The problem is that MC is rejecting the key.  The 'Information' dialog box stating 'Error restoring Media Center Licence: Unknown Error' is MC's own.

Anyway, I found the problem.  I purchased a Media Center Remote at the same time I purchased a license for MC 15.  That purchase also generated a Registration code, which I had dutifully recorded.  When I went back to my notes, I pulled out the Remote's license instead of the MC15 license.  When I compared the contents of the original .mjr file with the new .mjr file, it all became clear.

Would have been nice if MC15 had something more informative to say than 'Error restoring Media Center Licence: Unknown Error'.
Pages: [1]   Go Up