INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sync to FTP Site?  (Read 2648 times)

ewingr

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Change this by choosing profile
Sync to FTP Site?
« on: July 25, 2010, 07:49:30 pm »

I have FTP server running on my cell phone. I would like to be able to sync to that like I would a handheld.

I can see the folders in JRM. But I don't see a way to set up a sync window to do it wiht 'synchronization', as opposed to just copying files over.

Is there a way to do this?

Thanks
Roger

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Sync to FTP Site?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2010, 02:16:40 pm »

You can add a handheld in Options > Handheld that points to any file system path.  It sounds like this would work for you.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2010, 02:59:07 pm »

Share to Web can also upload to an FTP server.

ewingr

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2010, 07:03:53 pm »

You can add a handheld in Options > Handheld that points to any file system path.  It sounds like this would work for you.

That was the first thing I tried. Although I do see the FTP server from the 'drives and devices' menu at left (albeit it has a shortcut designation on the icon), it does not see the FTP server from the Options/Handheld setup area. I have successfully copied fiels over with drag and drop, but of course I want to use the synchronize options for ease.

Share to Web can also upload to an FTP server.

I'm beginning to feel like a beginner here. I see no option on any menu of Share to Web. I went to help, which takes me to the web page, and it comes up with nothing when I search for it.

One thing to note: I am attempting this on the eval version of JRM, which I have been expecting to be a full version, but on a expiration date.

I appreciate the replies. Maybe a bit more direction, and I'll get it.

Thanks
Roger

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2010, 07:14:30 pm »

Select the track(s), right click, Send To, Web / FTP, Web or FTP Server...

I can't comment on whether or not it uploads summarily, or syncs.  Synchronizing is more complicated, due to differences in file timestamps, time zones, size differences due to new line ending differences (in text files), and other things.  I don't see such configurations in the dialog, so suspect is a simple if exists, don't transfer scheme, or blast away.

There are numerous FTP clients that provide excellent sync capability, in case MC doesn't meet your needs.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2010, 07:48:51 pm »

I see no option on any menu of Share to Web. I went to help, which takes me to the web page, and it comes up with nothing when I search for it.
The eval version is the full version, just a 30 day version.

Select a few images and right click.  Choose Send To, then Gallery.  You should have some options there.

ewingr

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2010, 07:43:45 am »

Thanks for the reponses.

I am getting a sense that MC will not do synchronization for FTP. By sync I am not meaning copy, I mean drag what yo want to sync to a pane, or however a sync is done when a phone is hooked to PC by cable, and it then copies over what is not already on the phone. I don't have to consider whether or not it is already there, or answer questions about overwrite.

Select the track(s), right click, Send To, Web / FTP, Web or FTP Server...

There are numerous FTP clients that provide excellent sync capability, in case MC doesn't meet your needs.

The select/right click option I presume is no different than just copying over. But thanks for that info, it can be helpful.

I'll see if I can research FTP clients that does sync. If you have a suggestion for one, I'd be interested in hearing.

On the JRM 15: nice job, I do plan to go ahead and do the upgrade.
Thanks
Roger

gappie

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2010, 04:59:18 pm »

i actually tried this a while back. added my websites as network (or what ever) discs in windows. but could not get the discs as handheld. would have been very sweet, but mc did not see them.

:)
gab

ewingr

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2010, 05:06:01 pm »

That's exactly what I have accomplished.

Haven't had time to look for FTP clients yet.
Thanks
Roger

gappie

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2010, 05:11:11 pm »

That's exactly what I have accomplished.

Haven't had time to look for FTP clients yet.

really.. that sounds good. not sure that the fact i did not suceed is because im on xp, but what suprises me is that the sync function is not working then. i also tried a bunch of builds ago. i should give it an other shot.

:)
gab

ewingr

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2010, 10:54:55 pm »

I'm thinking it is something that probably needs fixing in JRM. But I also suspect we are in the minority for this need, so it may get fixed....some day.

Keep me posted. I'd like to see it work.

I  still have not chased down an FTP client that my do synch. Been busy with other stuff.

I will post back with anything I find.

Thanks
Roger

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2010, 11:19:43 pm »

For others, in case of interest (and as I shared in a P.M.), FTPVoyager is an excellent FTP client.  DirectoryOpus (for those who have sprung for the cost) also does excellent sync'ing.  I use both.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

ewingr

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2010, 09:21:05 pm »

I am about to check out FTPVoyager now. FYI, it is not a free app, although about half the price of Directoryopus. I'll post back how it goes.

Thanks
Roger
Pages: [1]   Go Up