INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hovering over extremely large images freezes MC15 for >1 minute  (Read 2003 times)

st33ld13hl

• Recent member

I noticed a panorama thumbnail, which I had created in Photoshop by combining a bunch of photos, and hovered over the thumbnail to temporarily view the image. Usually when I do this, the image pops up in a preview pane. In this case, it just froze MC15 for a very long time. Clicking on MC15 turned the window gray and Windows asked if I wanted to close or wait. After more than a minute MC15 came back to life.

It turns out, the image was a psd (Photoshop filetype), and is 485MB. Maybe it would be good to prevent such a lockup by limiting the preview if the file is too big, or even better, making it cancel the "preview routine" if the mouse moves away from the thumbnail (so that it doesn't lock up).

Thanks,
Matt

marko

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Hovering over extremely large images freezes MC15 for >1 minute
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2010, 04:02:15 am »

Even with a 40 - 50 Mb .psd file, the lock-up is unacceptably long for me, which is why I have removed all .psd files from my library.

RAW files (.nef in my case) also exhibit the same behaviour, as do flickr image feeds added to podcasting. These have also been removed from my library.

Any improvement in these areas would be gratefully accepted.

-marko.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2010, 06:35:45 am »

Even with a 40 - 50 Mb .psd file, the lock-up is unacceptably long for me, which is why I have removed all .psd files from my library.

RAW files (.nef in my case) also exhibit the same behaviour, as do flickr image feeds added to podcasting. These have also been removed from my library.
Is it possible that the loading from a drive is a factor?  Is the drive local?

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2010, 09:30:32 am »

My drives are local, and internal, yes.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2010, 09:55:44 am »

This is a known problem, and we'd like to solve it.

When you hoover for a bit with the mouse, we start loading the full image in a low priority background thread so that we can display the high-resolution tooltip.

The issue is that there's no way (currently) to cancel loading of an image once it starts.  This means, to cancel the thread we have to block and wait until it finishes.  For a RAW or PSD image, this could be too long.

To solve this, we either need to:

• Not load a full resolution preview for slow to load images
  • Wait longer before starting to load to mitigate the issue
  • Implement a method to cancel image loading from a different thread

The last solution is the hardest to implement, but probably the best.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2010, 04:01:03 pm »

In a coming build:
Changed: Loading of high-resolution image tooltips is better threaded to avoid lags while an image loads.
Faster: Loading of PSD files is many times faster.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2010, 04:07:03 pm »

I should add, if you have a PSD that is still very slow to load once you try build 89 (or newer), it would be helpful if you made a copy available to me.  I'm matt at jriver dot com.

I was testing with a large RGB-based image.  The loading time went from ~20 seconds to ~2 seconds.

Thanks.

st33ld13hl

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2010, 11:33:06 pm »

my 300-400MB photoshop files don't seem to take AS long...but they do freeze up the UI EDIT: they just feeze up the the pane. I do like how there's a slightly longer delay before they pop up, but that is at the expense of the smaller pictures taking longer to popup as well. There's not a way to cache a smaller resolution image of HUGE images, is there? If I only had to wait a longer time the first time I hover that would probably be fine.

Yeah, in hovering over the pics again, I wish the shorter response time was back. I'll just avoid hovering over my psd's.

st33ld13hl

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2010, 11:37:24 pm »

Oh, and my 485MB psd file only takes 8 seconds now (probably only 7 if there wasn't the longer delay now ;) )
Pages: [1]   Go Up