INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to move files and have JRiver 15 update my library accordingly?  (Read 2107 times)

tcman41

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Sound Surfing!

I have about 350 retail discs that i have ripped to mp3 albums and have them included in my library, they are at F:\Music\Retail.

I want to browse thru those 350 discs as album thumbnails in JRiver 15, select the 100 or so I don't like anymore and then move them to a new folder > F:\Music\Retail\Retail Don't Like.

After the files have been moved, I then want JRiver 15 to update my library so those albums aren't shown anymore.

Can I do this inside of JRiver 15?, I go to options, tools and the move,copy, rename option or whatever it is and anyway I try, I can seem to get it to do what I want, any help?

TC  ?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: How to move files and have JRiver 15 update my library accordingly?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2010, 07:48:13 am »

Can I do this inside of JRiver 15?, I go to options, tools and the move,copy, rename option or whatever it is and anyway I try, I can seem to get it to do what I want, any help?
Did you check the Directory checkbox?  And set rules for what you want to do there?

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2010, 11:09:57 am »

There are lots of ways to accomplish what you want.  You can use the Rename, Move, & Copy Files tool like this:

Click to enlarge

However, this tool is best used when you want to rename a large batch of files dynamically based on the tags of the files.  So, for example:  Imagine you have a bunch of files that are all in a terribly organized state on disk, named things like "song 1.mp3" in a folder called "new files" with no reference to the artist or album or anything relevant at all.  You import these files into MC, and get them all properly tagged and organized, and then you want to "propagate" these changes back to the filesystem to organize the files into a structure like this F:\Music\Abba\GOLD - Greatest Hits\04 - Mamma Mia.mp3.  That's what the Rename Move & Copy Files power tool is all about.  It can do much more than this, of course, but that type of use is what it is designed for.

In your case, there are better ways.  The difference is that you already have your files in a nice directory structure on disk, but you just want to move that whole system to a new spot on disk.  This would also apply equally if you wanted to move the files to a different disk, or a different parent folder.  A common example would be that your files are in your "My Music" folder in Windows (buried deep in the bowels of the C:\Users\ directory structure), and you want to move them to an external M:\Music\ drive where you have more space.

In these types of cases, there is an easier way using the power of the [Filename] tag in MC.  MC will ALSO rename, move, and copy files around the system for you if you change the Filename tag of the file.  So, for example, if you have that file at F:\Music\Abba\GOLD - Greatest Hits\04 - Mamma Mia.mp3 and, for some weird reason you wanted to move it to C:\dumbfile.mp3, literally all you'd have to do is select the file in MC, find the [Filename] tag, edit it, and change the contents of that tag to "C:\dumbfile.mp3".  MC will move the file on disk immediately.  Now, this is a silly example, but you can use this power to move files around en masse while preserving the file structure of those files easily, via the Find & Replace tool.  So, instead of using the Rename, Move, & Copy Files tool at all, you could select the files you want to move, and then use the Find & Replace tool like this:

If instead you wanted to move the entire contents of C:\Users\tcman41\Music over to M:\Music\ (while preserving the Abba\GOLD - Greatest Hits\04 - Mamma Mia.mp3 part of the filenames), you would just put the different appropriate text in the Find What and Replace boxes in the tool's dialog box.  It will find the exact text in the [Filename] tag and change it, which will cause the files to move, but still be all properly linked in MC.

Just make VERY SURE that the only tag you have selected on the left hand side list is the Filename tag, and be very careful about what text you enter into the Find what and Replace boxes, because if you mess this up, it will actually move your files and obliterate your naming structure.  As with ANY file moving, copying, or renaming operation, we STRONGLY recommend that you do a handful one at a time before you use the tool on a bunch of files at once, just to make sure a small typo doesn't send your system into fits.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2010, 11:47:06 am »

In these types of cases, there is an easier way using the power of the [Filename] tag in MC.  MC will ALSO rename, move, and copy files around the system for you if you change the Filename tag of the file.  So, for example, if you have that file at F:\Music\Abba\GOLD - Greatest Hits\04 - Mamma Mia.mp3 and, for some weird reason you wanted to move it to C:\dumbfile.mp3, literally all you'd have to do is select the file in MC, find the [Filename] tag, edit it, and change the contents of that tag to "C:\dumbfile.mp3".  MC will move the file on disk immediately.  Now, this is a silly example, but you can use this power to move files around en masse while preserving the file structure of those files easily, via the Find & Replace tool.  So, instead of using the Rename, Move, & Copy Files tool at all, you could select the files you want to move, and then use the Find & Replace tool like this:

Just a little note to say 'Find & Replace' is also available in the 'Rename, Move, & Copy Files' dialog.  Both approaches work, but I'd recommend using 'Rename, Move, & Copy Files' for filename operations, since it shows a preview and offers different move modes.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2010, 12:23:36 pm »

Oh yeah!  I always forget that you guys added that.  But look there, it is actually in my little original screenshot itself.

Oops!
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

tcman41

• Sound Surfing!
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2010, 01:10:15 pm »

Well, being at work, I wanted to try this out so I installed MC15 and tried it work, hit rename, specified a new directory and made sure the file structure to carry over was artist-album and it work perfectly, asking me along the way if this is what I was really trying to do.

I swear I tried the same thing at home and I wasn't getting the dialogue boxes that help you out with these moves, also at home my J.river doesn't look as transparent as it does at home, very weird, I am running the newest version at both locations, will try again when I get home.

thanks
TC  :-\
Pages: [1]   Go Up