INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Accessing MC15 from other computers on home network  (Read 1765 times)

tangolovers

• World Citizen
Accessing MC15 from other computers on home network
« on: August 06, 2010, 04:42:03 pm »

I currently have a home network with all my music/media files on a Windows 7 machine and 2 XP machines connected via a router.  All machines can see each other because they have the same group name and have sharing enabled. I don't know if this qualifies my Windows 7 machine as a LAN server or not. I am not running any special server software (or at least none that I know of).  I simply have a homegroup set up and the XP's are part of a group, so we can all see one another.   

On the Windows 7 machine, the media files are shared - but read only.   One of my XP machines is currently running it's own version of MC15 and pointing to the Windows 7 machine for access to the music db, which are read only.  That all works perfect.... until I modify the music db on the Win7 machine... then I have to backup/restore the library to the XP machine and change the settings in MC15 to reconnect with the files on the Win7 machine.   

I'm very happy that I was able to keep all the music on only one machine - that's a huge accomplishment.  Now, is there any way to have this work so that every time I change my music library I don't have to run to the XP machine and restore the library and update MC15 settings again??    I think there's some talk about this on this site, but I wasn't not understanding it very well.   Some folks were talking about DLNA, others mentioned  LAN over the internet etc.  My knowledge of networking and terminology is my weak point, so laymans terms would be greatly appreciated!!

Thank you very much!
Susie
SusieM - I'm Using MC on MacOS & Windows 10.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Accessing MC15 from other computers on home network
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2010, 04:48:52 pm »

On your server, if you have auto-import set, you'll get any new files imported automatically.

For your client to see them, you just need to shut down MC and restart it.  When it connects to Library Server, it will get the new library.

tangolovers

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2010, 05:04:35 pm »

Hi Jim,

I wish it were that easy, but it doesn't work.  But perhaps it's because I wasn't clear about my configuration... allow me to clarify...

On the server:  This is where I have my music library and I am currently not only importing, but doing a lot of re-organizing of files/folders (using MC15) as I determine where I want them stored on my hard drive.  

On the client - I installed a copy of MC15 just like I did on the server.  However, to get it to play files on the server I have to always copy the library from the server and physically put it on the client, do a restore, then update all MC15 tracks to point to the server (Rename, Move, Copy...) .    So, every time I make changes to MC15 on the server (relocating, importing, deleting, etc) I have to repeat this entire proceedure on the client.  It's a bit tedious.  

Is there a way that the client machine can actually work directly from the library located on the server??  If so, I would sure appreciate any details on how to set this up.  Preferably so the client cannot make any changes to the music itself or to the library on the server - but I would like the client to be able to create playlists local to that machine.

Thank you very very much!
Susie

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2010, 05:19:52 pm »

Are you running Library Server on your server?

If so, connect to it from the client.  It's under File/Library.

There should be no manual copying of library files.

tangolovers

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2010, 05:57:27 pm »

Hi Jim,

Wow, thanks for answering on a Sunday... I wasn't expecting that!!

Since I don't know what Library Server is, I'm probably not running it/one.  What is it and how do I set it up?  My lack of knowledge in this area is why I couldn't follow similar posts.  I'm pretty computer savvy, but not so when it comes to networks. Any details you can provide would be much appreciated!

That would be great news if I don't have to be copying files!!

Thank you,
Susie

tangolovers

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2010, 12:27:26 pm »

Hi Jim,

Yippee!!  ;D  I finally made a little progress.  But with progress comes problem... which are hopefully resolveable.  Can you help??

Okay, for once I was able to locate some information on Wiki, which I've never been able to find my way around in the past (I'm sure it's a user issue).  I got as far as changing the settings in my router to open a port and now the client can see the server.  Only problem is the client keeps loosing it's the connection to the server everytime MC15 is closed/re-opened or the machine is rebooted on the client.  And, to make matters worse the client looses it's customized view (i.e. selected columns, widths, playlists etc).  

My goals are as follows:
1) Keep Client connecte or have it automatically connect even after closing MC15 on client or rebooting of client/server.
2)To have the client(s) be able to access music and playlists on the server.
3) Client(s) cannot make any changes that affect the server or the actual music.  
4) Client(s) should be able to create their own playlists and if possible set ratings (not a must)
5) Most importantly, client(s) should be able to set their own views and have them stay that way even when they disconnect/re-connect (i.e. selected columns, order of columns, widths etc)

Can you tell me if these goals are possible and help me figure out how to accomplish them?

Thank you again!
Susie
Pages: [1]   Go Up