INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: JRiver 15 MC on Mac Mini running Windows 7....(also iPad questions...)  (Read 2037 times)

steveashe

HI all, I'm thinking about getting a new Mac Mini and running Windows 7 (I want the option to us Snow Leopard too) using JRiver MC 15 as my media player of choice on the Mini (I'm running WASAPI under Windows 7 today).  I would like to know if anyone on the forum has run this combo successfully?  Or unsuccessfully?  Did you use Bootcamp or Parallels or how?  I'm an "audiophile" kinda guy, and this sounds like it could be the best of both worlds, having the flexibility of running either Windows or Mac OS, but still continuing to use MC 15.   
At the end of the day, I'm also considering buying an iPad to wirelessly control JRiver MC 15 from where ever I choose in my house, but is that a stretch for now?  If "doable" , how difficult would this be?  I'd love to be able to view the same desktop (ie, MC 15 application with album art ,etc) on the iPad as I would if I hooked a monitor up to the Mac Mini. 
Thanks for the information.  I just sold my Windows laptop (too noisy) and am looking to move in a different direction.  By the way, not that I love Apple (I don't) but it seems that they might provide the most flexible solution for my needs.   
Steve Ashe

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: JRiver 15 MC on Mac Mini running Windows 7....(also iPad questions...)
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2010, 09:52:13 pm »

I use MC15 extensively on two different Intel Macs (a Macbook and a Mac Pro) under Windows 7, but I use it via Boot Camp and fully boot the OS.  It works perfectly in those conditions.

MC generally works under a virtualized environment for audio playback, but video performance, visualizers, and Theater View all have been unusable in my tests (which were, admittedly, a while ago with older versions of the software).  I've tested with both VMWare's Fusion (my preferred VM of that type) and Parallel's software (though that was even longer ago).  Fusion is since in a new major version, so it may have improved things, but I doubt to the level that I'd be looking for.

For the iPad query, your only option would really be a VNC remote desktop solution.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

JLT

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2011, 10:14:43 pm »

I'm using J River 15 on a November 2007 iMac. I'm running Window 7, using VmWare Fusion 3 or Parallel 6.  It's work fine for me on both virtualization software. "Theater View" mode work well to. The sound quality is better than iTune on my mac!
I let my library (around 900Mg) on the Mac partition, for convinience. My main concern is at that a lot of cover art are missing (about 900 of 3700) even if they are visible in the itune library of the mac.
That's about all the "trouble" I have...

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2011, 07:17:56 am »

Welcome to the forum.  If your cover art is in a single directory, just tell MC to look there.   It's in Tools/Options/File Locations/Cover Art.

Or select a few files, right click, and choose Cover Art/Get from Internet.  MC can also do this automatically if it's set to do so.
Pages: [1]   Go Up