INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is there any way to "move" an album out of MC after removing it from library?  (Read 1793 times)

Vocalpoint

• Citizen of the Universe

Morning,

Within MC - I am trying to figure out a way to use the Rename, Move and Copy File utility when the time comes to cull things from an active library. I quite frequently have albums or songs that have just run their course and instead of vaporizing them permanently - I manually delete from the lib and then manually move the targets to a folder, do some additional deletes and archive the stuff I really want to keep to DVD or external drive. While I wish there was an additional option when choosing Delete:

Remove from Media Library and send to Folder....

Until that appears - I have to try and work this with what I have. Just wondering what others do.

The current method of Deleting the selection from the library only and then moving it via Explorer - works - as long as it's one album at a time. But when I am going to delete a half dozen entries at once - it becomes a challenge to remember what was deleted and then go find it via explorer and move it.

Any tips would be great!

Cheers!

VP

rossp

• MC Beta Team

Why not do it the other way round. Move the albums to the archive location, then delete them from MC15   ;D

Use the 'rename, move & copy files' library function to move the files to the archive location then delete them from the library.

Ross

Vocalpoint

Why not do it the other way round. Move the albums to the archive location, then delete them from MC15   ;D

Ross

Good one! That just hit me after I submitted the thread! Still - it would be nice to have a Move To Folder option on that Delete dialog tho. Sounds like the code is almost there as there is already an auto-move to the Recycle bin....

Cheers!

VP

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?

When there are reasonable solutions available, we don't like to add features or options.

Vocalpoint

When there are reasonable solutions available, we don't like to add features or options.

Apologies...but I am not sure what the point of this comment was...

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?

... it would be nice to have a Move To Folder option on that Delete dialog  ...

gappie

guess the point is that it wont be added.

actually it is nice to do this all in mc.
make for instance a folder Attic.
now in your audio say to not see the files in the attic.
make a view that only shows files in the attic.
in your audio files you can select a bunch of albems and move them to the Attic. after a refresh you see that they are gone.  8)
now when its time to clean, go to your attic view, clean it and burn the rest on cd/dvd and remove them.

:)
gab

Vocalpoint

guess the point is that it wont be added.

Yeah...I figured that much.  ::)

actually it is nice to do this all in mc.
make for instance a folder Attic.
now in your audio say to not see the files in the attic.
make a view that only shows files in the attic.
in your audio files you can select a bunch of albems and move them to the Attic. after a refresh you see that they are gone.  8)
now when its time to clean, go to your attic view, clean it and burn the rest on cd/dvd and remove them.

Excellent! Will give it try.

Cheers!

VP

rick.ca

I'm sure the point, at least in part, is that adding features and options when reasonable alternatives exist adds unnecessary complexity to the program. While the thing added may be a small convenience to the few who understand its purpose and intend to use it, its existence is potentially confusing to everyone else. Even if the purpose is clear, they tend to slow down the use of the program.

The very question you've asked provides an excellent example. The answer you've been given is the one you needed to hear. If the delete option you suggested existed, you would have assumed that was the way to do it, and would not have asked. Meanwhile, everyone else—every time they go to delete something—would be pausing a fraction of second longer than they should need to while their brain asks, "What the heck is that option for?," or having to make an extra key-press to get to the option they want.
Pages: [1]   Go Up