INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Device Sync - Restricting to path on device.  (Read 1712 times)

kamiller42

• Junior Woodchuck
Device Sync - Restricting to path on device.
« on: August 14, 2010, 08:30:31 pm »

I have setup a playlist I sync with my Android phone. I have noticed two things:

1. If MC15 is up and I plug the phone in and setup to drive for connect type, the device does not appear under Drives & Devices. I have to restart MC, wait a little, and then it appears. Not a big deal, but is annoying.

2. My bigger problem is with Sync. I have paths specified for where I want MC to sync music, images, videos, etc. Yet, when MC checks the device to sync, it reads the entire SD card, not just the paths I specified. This is a problem because I would like to use the "Delete from handheld any file not in sync list" option. The way it works now, it'll delete any media file on the device that's not in the list. This would include sound files for some games I have installed. Problem.

Is there a way to setup sync to sync with only the paths I specified?

kamiller42

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: Device Sync - Restricting to path on device.
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2010, 10:08:07 pm »

Hmm, I guess there's not many Android phone users or every device user dedicates its storage to music to listen to.

Any solutions?

666JackTheKnife666

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2010, 11:10:24 pm »

I am another annoyed android phone user, same issues. The worst being the 'feature' of not being able to on sync clean up for it's self, or worse delete stuff you did not want touched.

I have no idea how big the programing team is for MC , I must assume every one is pretty swamped with other things.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2010, 06:57:21 am »

We've spent a lot of time on Android and will again.  Thanks for your patience.

kamiller42

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2010, 05:16:34 pm »

I mention I am using an Android phone, but I really think it's a problem for any multipurpose device with external storage. MC cannot assume the device is using all of its storage for media to be managed by MC.

This could be implemented as

a) A "Restrict Sync to Media Paths" option.
b) A specify sync path option where MC is allowed to manage all media from in that directory and its sub-directories.

I like option A because it's simple and clear. Option B means managing even more paths.

666JackTheKnife666

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2010, 07:41:33 pm »

your right I have been experimenting with a ram disk the last few days, Setting it up as a handheld device and  if you keep the directory structure extremely simple, the sync and cleanup functionality works.
however if you attempt to use an expression it all goes to hell. some files in the root some where they should be some in the wrong directory entirely and the clean up doesn't work at all.
It's not an android specific issue.

chriswatson

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2010, 06:22:57 am »

I have this problem too. being able to set a base directory for the files would be nice. even nicer would be an option for basedirectory for each of the types. I do happen to have an android phone but I have this problem with the phone AND when I try and write a SD drive directly.
Pages: [1]   Go Up