INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: IsPlayingNow crashing Theatre View [solved]  (Read 2457 times)

rick.ca

• Citizen of the Universe
IsPlayingNow crashing Theatre View [solved]
« on: August 28, 2010, 07:04:18 pm »

In recent builds, I've lost the ability to use views based on [IsPlayingNow]—as described here and here. When I select such a view, or very soon thereafter, MC stops responding. The last bit of the log usually includes something like this...

Code: [Select]
0051979: 11568: Playback: CDShowFilterGraphNotifyWindow::OnDXEvent: Start
0051979: 11568: Playback: CDShowFilterGraphNotifyWindow::OnDXEvent: Event: 1 (0x01), 0, 0
0051979: 11568: Playback: CDShowFilterGraph::SetCurrentPosition: Start
0051979: 11568: Playback: CDShowFilterGraph::SetCurrentPosition: Earliest seekable time: 0 ms, Latest time 40460 ms, Seek to 0
0051979: 11568: Playback: CDShowFilterGraph::SetCurrentPosition: SetPositions returned 0x1
0051979: 11568: Playback: CDShowFilterGraph::SetCurrentPosition: Finish (0 ms)
0051979: 11568: Playback: CDShowFilterGraphNotifyWindow::OnDXEvent: Finish (0 ms)
0052088: 11568: Playback: CDShowFilterGraphNotifyWindow::OnDXEvent: Start
0052088: 11568: Playback: CDShowFilterGraphNotifyWindow::OnDXEvent: Event: 14 (0x0e), 0, 0
0052088: 11568: Playback: CDShowFilterGraphNotifyWindow::OnDXEvent: Unhandled DX event: 0x0e
0052088: 11568: Playback: CDShowFilterGraphNotifyWindow::OnDXEvent: Finish (0 ms)

A full log is attached.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: IsPlayingNow crashing Theatre View
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2010, 10:13:03 am »

I'm trying to figure out what is happening in the log, but I'm a little confused.

It shows that you started playing a Bryan Adams MP3 with WASAPI output.

We load the embedded cover art out of the MP3.

Then it downloads some background images for Theater View.

But the direct show filter graph stuff is a mystery.  Is it thumbnailing videos in the background, or are you using movies in your Theater View theme background?

Would you be willing to email me a library backup so I could test the same here?  I'm matt at jriver dot com.

Thanks.

Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

rick.ca

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2010, 01:20:02 pm »

Thanks for checking, Matt.

I am using a video background—"iDream" from DreamScene. It's a WMV, which are configured to use the Windows Media Player Engine. It plays fine as background and by itself. I also tested with and without this playing, as I did for background images (for each of the three sources). None of that seemed to have an impact on the issue.

But now I'm confused too. I can not longer reproduce the error. The most obvious reason would be that a reboot since my previous testing fixed something. Well, maybe not so obvious—as there have been several reboots since I first noticed this about a week ago. What do you think?

I'm happy to send a library backup, but maybe I should wait and see. If it happens again, I'll immediately reboot and see if that fixes it. Is there anything else I might try/test?

gappie

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2010, 06:50:02 am »

ive also been seeing crashes that i think are related to IsPlaying() because they only occur when opening views where this is used. one of the thoughts i had while testing it, is that it seems to happen at least less when something is playing.
its true that the views are a bit heavy. but have been working for a while...
 :)
gab

edit: i attached a log. its not that mc crashes, but i does not respond anymore. this log happened when starting up mc. i had to start mc in Theater View and then managed to get in.. but who knows what i say above is not right and is it something else..

edit II: maybe i should add.. now, after a reboot, something that happens sat least 1 or 2 times a day (when i leave the house or go sleeping), all seems well again. and, i also use a lib field with the isplaying as i suspect rick is too.

rick.ca

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2010, 04:29:04 pm »

is that it seems to happen at least less when something is playing.

I wasn't really testing for that, but I was reproducing the problem just about every time the "Play Now" view was selected (and usually immediately)—when something was playing. I don't recall if it didn't happen with nothing playing, or I just didn't think to try that.

its not that mc crashes, but i does not respond anymore.

That's why I said it "stops responding." I don't really understand the difference. Doing anything (i.e., any mouse click) causes Windows to report the program is not responding and then terminates it. On restart, the program presents the usual "improper shutdown" dialog.

i also use a lib field with the isplaying as i suspect rick is too.

Right. My [IsPlayingNow] is an expression field = IsPlaying().

now, after a reboot...

The reboot must fix something. I haven't been able to reproduce the problem since yesterday's reboot. My problem is I don't reboot until I need to, and sometimes I fail to recognize I need to. ::)

gappie

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2010, 04:42:06 pm »

I wasn't really testing for that, but I was reproducing the problem just about every time the "Play Now" view was selected (and usually immediately)—when something was playing. I don't recall if it didn't happen with nothing playing, or I just didn't think to try that.
well. maybe it has something to do with it. the two views i have the problem are showing ♪ at the album thumb that is playing.

That's why I said it "stops responding." I don't really understand the difference. Doing anything (i.e., any mouse click) causes Windows to report the program is not responding and then terminates it. On restart, the program presents the usual "improper shutdown" dialog.
for me crashing is when mc reports that it crashed and will stop, where not responding.. and you need to kill mc yourself. in the log you can see the difference at the end.. but the result is the same
Right. My [IsPlayingNow] is an expression field = IsPlaying().
i use if(isequal(isplaying(),1),1,0)  8) only because it makes more sence when sorting.

gab

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2010, 04:48:06 pm »

I think I see how IsPlaying(...) could cause a dead-lock.  It's a lock ordering issue when the expression calls from the database and talks to the zones.

We're going to have to think on this one a while.

gappie

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2010, 04:56:58 pm »

that is good news then. for us at least. thanks for taking a look at it. hope the solution will be easy in the end.

gab

rick.ca

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2010, 05:23:13 pm »

I think I see how IsPlaying(...) could cause a dead-lock.  It's a lock ordering issue when the expression calls from the database and talks to the zones.

We're going to have to think on this one a while.

In case it's significant...I'm also using IsInPlayingNow() in my Theatre View file caption.

Happy thinking. ;)

rick.ca

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2010, 05:26:29 pm »

i use if(isequal(isplaying(),1),1,0)  8) only because it makes more sence when sorting.

Isn't that the same as IsPlaying()? ?

gappie

« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2010, 05:36:59 pm »

Isn't that the same as IsPlaying()? ?
well.. you are right of course. it is the same exactly, is it?. the problem is funny, when you sort by isplaying or by the expression i use the sorting you need is totally the other way around a-z and z-a. and with my expression 1 and indeed more then 0 so z-a to get the 1 at the top, when isplaying says it uses the same 1 and 0, but it wants to be sorted a-z for the same result..  :P..

gab
edit.. well that was the case maybe some buiilds ago.. i just tested it again.. problem is gone .. same for isinplayingnow

rick.ca

« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2010, 05:56:51 pm »

OIC. Maybe it's by design—so "true" is first in an ascending sort. Are you sure you shouldn't be using if(isequal(isplaying(),1),0,1)? ;D

gappie

« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2010, 06:08:20 pm »

OIC. Maybe it's by design—so "true" is first in an ascending sort. Are you sure you shouldn't be using if(isequal(isplaying(),1),0,1)? ;D
lol.. i know. and i for sure know it looks stupid.. so just to test i thought about jumping back again few versions. just to see for myself that im not crazy. but the installation ended in a 'not responding' .. so i decided for myself that im crazy  :)
im returning both back to logic.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2010, 10:58:53 am »

Coming in build 104:
Fixed: The expression IsPlaying(...) could cause a dead-lock in some cases.
Faster: The expression IsPlaying(...) is much faster.

gappie

« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2010, 11:28:36 am »

Coming in build 104:
Fixed: The expression IsPlaying(...) could cause a dead-lock in some cases.
Faster: The expression IsPlaying(...) is much faster.
thanks.. for the fix. and faster.. much faster. im gonna enjoy that.

gab

rick.ca

Re: IsPlayingNow crashing Theatre View [solved]
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2010, 01:15:34 pm »

Thanks!
Pages: [1]   Go Up