INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Unable to Download Update 15.0.095  (Read 1414 times)

haralson

• Recent member
Unable to Download Update 15.0.095
« on: September 06, 2010, 01:08:33 pm »

[edit by JimH -- see nwboater's post below for possible cause ]

I purchased my Media Center 15 on 5 Sept 2010 after 24 days' trial use. Each day when I launched the application, I received notice that Version 15.0.095 "is available" and was prompted to upgrade. Whenever I attempted to do so, 16.6 MB of a total 16.7 MB would download. Then, after a pause of 15-20 seconds, a window would state: "Failed to download update." I thought perhaps this was because I did not have a registered product. Now I do, but today I got the same result. I am using Windows XP, SP3.

Two questions: (1) What is the problem and how can I solve it? (2) Assuming I solve the problem, what are the benefits of Ver. 15.0.095? I use Media Center 15 solely to play back high-resolution audio files (96 and 192 kHz), mostly classical. So I do not need the numerous "D.J." and other features. I do not use MC15 for photos, etc. If Ver. 15.0.095 includes only more "bells and whistles", I probably don't need it. If it improves audio quality, however, I would like to have it. Please advise.

Arbiter

• World Citizen
  • In love with music.
Re: Unable to Download Update 15.0.095
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2010, 01:43:37 pm »

Try to download the latest version posted here (15.0.106). Now, i have no clue of why the automatic update would fail, but my guess would be either a firewall or antivirus problem (These things tend to cause more problems, than the ones they fix at times.)

Upgrading your MC to newer versions always ensures stability, enhancements and with the recent updates, audio quality improvements (64-bit audio path etc.) over previous versions. That being said, you can easily disable features you don't want, by going to Tools -> Options -> General and scrolling down to Features thus keeping your mc tailored to your own personal needs.

I hope my small wall of text helped:P

rick.ca

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2010, 01:45:39 pm »

1. I don't know what's causing your download problem, but you could try the latest release which is always posted at the top of this board in the topic "Media Center 15.0.xxx -- Available here."

2. MC is under continuous development. The only way to determine whether there have been changes you might need or want is to review the change logs posted with the release. The installation routine is very efficient, so you might just prefer to update periodically. That will ensure you have all the latest improvements that impact on audio quality, as well as any bug fixes. And all the "bells and whistles," should you ever want to try them. ;)

nwboater

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2010, 04:03:33 pm »

Don't know if this is at all related but when I downloaded the latest version yesterday and tried to install it I kept getting a 'Corrupted File" message. Tried downloading several times with the same result. I had been using 'Download Accelerator Plus' which is one of those download managers that downloads several portions of the file at the same time. When I stopped using it and switched to my browsers (Firefox) regular Download Manager everything was fine.

Good Luck,
Rod

haralson

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2010, 08:32:46 pm »

Thanks to the three of you who posted. In response to your suggestions, I tried again (three times) to download Ver. 15.0.095, after disabling my firewall, reducing my IE security to the lowest level, turning off the pop-up blocker, etc. Same result: "Failed to Download". And, rick.ca., the "latest release", according to my JRiver links, is the Ver. 15.0.095 that I have attempted unsuccessfully to download for the past week. At least two dozen attempts all failed. (I don't understand the threads that say "15.0.100" and "15.0.106" are now available, when the "official" website continues to offer 15.0.095, but that should not be my problem! I paid J. Rivers for the software, and I am frustrated that I am having this problem and am unable to talk to a "real person" to get technical support. Is there anyone from JRiver who can help me resolve this problem? Since I am unable to download the update in the typical manner, can you please e-mail the file to me, either directly or via "SendThisFile", etc.?? The problem currently is my inability to acquire the file, not to install it.

Rick.ca makes a good point that I should download the latest improvements regardless whether I would use the features or not, then "pick and choose" those that are relevant to my needs. But I cannot consult the change logs that accompany the updates unless I can GET the updates, in the first place. That is the problem!

rick.ca

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2010, 11:32:48 pm »

The change logs are included in the release post at the top of this board. The "official" release lags these simply because there's more certainty it's stable. As a practical matter, it's extremely unlikely the latest release will cause any problems—especially if you backup your library first. But that's beside the point in this case—you're unable to even download the official version. Sometimes an attempt to re-download a file with a browser simply results in the browser activating the same corrupt file from it's cache. Maybe something similar is happening here. Regardless of the cause of the problem, trying to download a different file is the most sensible thing to try.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2010, 02:12:58 am »

Try downloading directly from the download page or from the board here.

Here's a direct linK:
http://files.jriver.com/mediacenter/MediaCenter150106.exe

haralson

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2010, 01:48:48 pm »

Thanks to both of you. I downloaded from the link JimH sent, and the download worked. Now, I must install it.

Reading the link, I presume this is Ver. 15.0.106, not 15.0.095. But I guess I'm better-off with the newer version. I still wonder why the automatic update prompts me each morning to install 15.0.095 if that is not the latest version, but I won't lose sleep over it.

Thanks again.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2010, 02:58:54 pm »

JRiver releases new beta builds of MC almost every single weekday.  Then, about once a week, one of these beta builds gets pushed out to the general forum (unless there are problems with the betas).  That's where build 106 comes from.  Those of us on the "beta team" tested it for a bit, and then Jim or someone decides it is good enough to give to the full forum population.

Eventually, they will "bless" one of these builds and it will show up as an auto-update for everyone else out there.  They don't "bless" these as often to show up in the auto updater in MC, because then "average users" would be inundated with constant, weekly upgrade reminders (which gets old pretty quick if you don't care about all of the new changes).  Plus, it gives the more widely deployed "auto-update" builds a longer time for all of us "hardcore users" to beat on them to make sure there's nothing seriously wrong in there.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up