INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Remove the "All Artists" etc category from the top of each menu?  (Read 1209 times)

csimon

• Citizen of the Universe
Remove the "All Artists" etc category from the top of each menu?
« on: September 16, 2010, 05:45:50 pm »

When using WebRemote and DLNA server, is there a way to turn off the automatic "All Artists", "All albums" etc category that is put at the top of each menu?

csimon

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Remove the "All Artists" etc category from the top of each menu?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2010, 07:58:14 am »

After quickly browsing the sub-forums here, I've found threads from 2006 discussing the fact that the "All" item was universally disliked and was removed from Theater View, but others wish they could bring it back.  It's obviously caused a lot of controversy!  The thing is here that it is still appearing in the WebRemote and DLNA Server interfaces.  Is there no option to turn it on or off for a particular view, that would be the best thing to do?

The reason why I don't want it is that I populate Artist with the track artist and Album Artist with the album artist, which is "Various Artists" for compilations.  I also have 2 other fields which I use for my own cataloguing purposes, and these have to be stored in "standard" tags rather than a custom field as my collection is maintained outside MC (in MP3Tag) and the collection is used by other players, none of which have the same set of tags as each other.  So I store my base data in a set of known tags then copy it to other fields that I know other players can read.  In my case, I've chosen to store one of my custom tags in Composer for use with JRiver.  There is no other tag that is better or worse for this purpose, the point is that the information in this tag is not actually Composer information, it's something else.  (It's actually the CD#, I want to store a textual entry in this field rather than a number in order to describe the volume of the set rather than just identifying it with a number, e.g. "CD 1 - Original Album", "CD 2 - Bonus Tracks", but it looks like JRiver ignores the field if it's not a number, so I have to use another field).

So basically...

My compilation view (or genre view, e.g. Christmas, Soundtracks, Blues, Folk) lists all specific album artists and ALSO a Various Artists item.  So I'm easily able to drill down into multiple-artist compilations if I want to, but I initially only want to see actual artists listed.  Therefore the "All Artists" listing, at the top of the menu, is superfluous and a distraction, I will never want to see a huge mixed listing of both artist and various artist albums. It's just my preference.

Secondly, when drilling down into one of my custom categories, I get an "All Composers" item at the top of my list, which has absolutely nothing to do with composers and it doesn't make sense and is confusing!
Pages: [1]   Go Up