INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Probably my last question  (Read 3536 times)

Blue Boy

• World Citizen
Probably my last question
« on: September 16, 2010, 06:10:16 am »

Since the latest (111) build did the trick with the stuttering I think I'm down to my last question.

As I said in earlier threads I'm ripping my music in Wav. files and I have decided to have it that way
from an audiophil point of view.

So my question is how do I make a backup of my collection without having the problem to rename
the album and artist fields.
I have all my music on an external drive, MC  intalled on my music computer. So MC picks the audio from the external drive.
How can I mirrow all the info from MC as a backup. When I tried to copy everything using MC as a portable drive with MC on the external drive it is not work as MC says the trial period has expired.
I have tried to change the name of the drive from (H) to (G) and that doesn't work either. So please
can someone helps me out as my collection grows.

And I hope there is a solution as I'm not into the lossless format at all....... ;D

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Probably my last question
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2010, 06:27:27 am »

As I said in earlier threads I'm ripping my music in Wav. files and I have decided to have it that way
from an audiophile point of view.

Please re-consider.  Any lossless format will do the job better and not have problems you will have with WAV.  APE or FLAC would be best.  They can be converted back to WAV anytime you want.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2010, 07:45:19 am »

1. MC can tag Wave and AIFF files. The option is available in Tools > Plug-in Manager > Input > Wave & AIFF Plugin > Configure... The feature is optional because Wave tagging is not widely supported. I am not aware of any playback problems that would have been caused by tagged Wave files, but if you use other HW or SW players it might be a good idea to do some compatibility tests first.

2. MC can create library backup files that hold all library data. It creates automatic backup files periodically and you can always create additional backup files manually and store the backup files in your preferred location. File > Library > Back Up Library...

3. You can export MPL playlists which include all file tags. Just select a view that shows all audio files and do File > Export Playlist... Select the MPL format. The "Store paths relative to exported playlist location" option can make the file paths independent of the current drive letter.

For example, if the files are in H:\Music\[Artist]\[Album]\... export the playlist to H:\Music\ and the included file paths will start from \[Artist]\... . The playlist will be correct also when it is imported from G:\Music\ .

4. The Rename, Move, & Copy Files tool can easily fix partially broken file paths in the database (read the linked "instructions"):

In addition to what Jim said:

If the old files are not anymore in the library, load your latest library backup file and fix the video files' base path with the Rename, Move, & Copy Files tool (I'll search for the instructions I once posted and add a link soon.) If you have not created library backup files manually you can find automatically created files from:
C:\Documents and Settings\[your user name]\Application Data\J River\Media Center 14\Library Backups (XP)
or
C:\Users\[your user name]\AppData\Roaming\J River\Media Center 14\Library Backups (Vista and Windows 7).

Disable the the "fix broken links" setting in Auto-Import options (do this before loading the backup file and immediately after loading it check that the setting stayed disabled).

EDIT

The instructions (a quick search found seven threads):
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=55707.msg384102#msg384102
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=55224.msg375699#msg375699
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=55547.msg377589#msg377589
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=52086.msg356211#msg356211
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=51635.msg352515#msg352515
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=49835.msg341255#msg341255
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=46894.msg321403#msg321403
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
  • Getting older every day
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2010, 08:06:33 am »

Please re-consider.  Any lossless format will do the job better and not have problems you will have with WAV.  APE or FLAC would be best.  They can be converted back to WAV anytime you want.

Media Center will do the conversion for you also, so you don't have to re-rip all of your 250 (plus?) CD's again.  just convert the either ape (what I use) or FLAC and you'll still have lossless (not compressed) versions of all your music, but on about 1/2 the space as with the wav files, plus more reliable tagging support.  Upon playback, they will sounds

Select a couple files to test, then select Tools/Advanced Tools/Convert Format...  then select the Options button along the bottom to select the location to put the files and whether or not to keep the old/original files along with other choices, then select Encoding on the left to pick which format you wish to convert to.
pretend this is something funny

Blue Boy

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2010, 08:27:21 am »

Thank's for your input, I am aware that I am stubborn about lossless format but I will try out the advice you all provided here.....and maybe read more about lossless. But I can't understan how it works
how can you reduce a file to another format and compress the data, and then restore it again...and where is the converting taking place when listening.....I'm might be stupid but how can you eat half the cake and then have it again

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2010, 09:34:10 am »

It's like zipping up a spreadsheet.  Nothing is lost when it's uncompressed again.

You don't need to read anything.  Just try ripping a few CD's.  Or convert a few files.  To convince yourself, try converting from WAV to APE, then back again and then compare the two WAV files (original and converted).

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2010, 10:09:17 am »

Thank's for your input, I am aware that I am stubborn about lossless format but I will try out the advice you all provided here.....and maybe read more about lossless. But I can't understan how it works
how can you reduce a file to another format and compress the data, and then restore it again...and where is the converting taking place when listening.....I'm might be stupid but how can you eat half the cake and then have it again

The same way a ZIP file works.  When you compress Word files and executable files and Excel spreadsheets into a ZIP file, they get smaller, but then when you open the ZIP file, they expand to be EXACTLY the same as they were before they were compressed.  If the files had changed at all, they wouldn't work!  You can't have a EXE file changing every time you ZIP it!  That wouldn't work.

The reason it works is because there is a LOT of redundant data in computer files of all sorts.  For example, imagine a simple text file, like this text that I'm writing here.  The way "normal" uncompressed text works is that the computer stores an ASCII code (or unicode, more commonly now) for each character in the file, and keeps them in a "string".  That "string of codes" is what is written to disk when you save a plain text file.  So, in ASCII, for each "A" character it stores the number 65, for each "b" character it stores a "98", for each "space" it stores a 32, and for each new line it stores a "10".  When you read this "string" of codes back into the system from the file on disk, the ASCII interpreter can perfectly reconstruct your text block, with all of the spacing and blank lines and letters in their proper case and place.  That's a simple, dumb, uncompressed encoding.

The problem is, that for each and every single "space" in your original text, the computer stores another 32.  So, if you type out 15 spaces in a row, it actually stores 15 "32s" in a row in the saved file.  Same goes for all letters and characters in your document.  If you have 32 blank lines, it actually stores 64 separate character codes (32 carriage return codes, and 32 line feed codes).

But there is a more efficient way.  Imagine if instead of simply writing out a string of character codes, you had the ability to "repeat" a character a set number of times.  So, when the computer encounters that set of 15 copies of the identical spaces, instead of writing out "space", "space", "space", "space", "space", it simply says "space" x 15.  And then carries on.  When you blow it back up into real text, the file looks, works, and IS exactly identical, but your "saved file" on disk is smaller because you "wrote it down" using a smarter method.

You can even do bigger tricks.  Say the computer has a "dictionary" of common words, including stuff like "and", "the", "center", "tools", and "peanuts".  It assigns a special "code" to each of these words.  Then, when it is saving the file and it encounters a word in the dictionary, it just substitutes the "word code" for the whole word instead of having to write out the individual letter codes one at a time to spell out the word.  Most text blocks re-use common words a LOT, so even little words can save a lot of space.  Imagine how many times you use simple connector words like "and" and "the" in every paragraph you write.  If you can cut the storage size of these words in half, then you can cut down the total size of the saved file enormously!  And, again, when you "extract" the file by reading it back through the interpreter, it turns it back into exactly the same file it was before you compressed it.  In other words, the compression was "lossless" because it did not lose any data at all.  Not through magic, but through a more efficient "encoding" for disk storage.

Generally the tradeoff is this: the more efficient a disk storage means is (the more "compressed" you save your file) the more "difficult" it is for the computer to "unzip" it and put it back the way it was.  It is very easy to read a string of ASCII codes.  It is a little harder to know what to do when you have to look codes up in a dictionary and figure out what word to substitute as you are unzipping a file.  The end result it the same, but it might take more time to read the file that uses the dictionary-based compression.  In early days of computers, this mattered.  The processor was slow, and the disk was relatively fast.  It made more sense to store the data on disk using the "fastest" method, to save processor time when you had to read that file back.

But now the situation has reversed.  Processors are screaming fast.  Generally MUCH faster than what the average person needs for what they do.  However, while disks have gotten faster than they used to be, they haven't advanced at anywhere near the same pace!  So now, it makes a lot more sense to "waste" the processor time needed to save storage space.  You have tons of performance to spare under that hood!

Lossless audio compression works exactly the same way.  It analyzes the mathematical codes written onto disk, and it figures out a more efficient way to store the same exact data onto the hard drive.  When you "unzip" the file (which happens automatically upon playback), the player software turns that compressed file on the disk back into the same exact original file you had to start with.  And here's a dirty little secret... WAV files are compressed too!  They are just compressed with a "stupider" (and much more analog) compression scheme than more modern formats like APE and FLAC.

Now, for media files (videos, pictures, and music) there is another kind of compression, called "lossy" compression.  Lossy compression schemes include things like JPEG, MP3, and MPEG-4.  Lossy compression is NOT like what I described above.  Lossy compression analyzes the original source file, and creates a smaller version that is NOT exactly the same when you "play it back" (when you unzip it, it doesn't come back out exactly the same way it went in), but there is a mechanism in place to make sure it looks basically the same (or sounds the same, or whatever).  This works because human senses are not perfect, but computer storage is perfect.  So, for a photo, the computer may be able to reproduce 32 million different colors.  However, when you look at a photo, your eyes can't tell the differences between all of the tiny little variances in the different shades of "red" for example.  Sure, you can tell the difference between pink and crimson, but telling the difference between two slightly different shades of crimson, when the spot may only be 1 pixel wide, the two shades of crimson are only 1/400,000th of a percent different from each other, and there are literally millions of these pixels all mixed together?  Your eyes "fudge" it and it looks the same.  Your brain fills in the missing information.  So the computer can just see those two slightly different crimson pixels, and say "well, those are close enough, just use the same color there".  So, what lossy compression does is it "looks at" the file like a human, and decides what data is important, and what data can be "fudged" without impacting the way you will actually "see" it.  This works for files that are "perceived" like audio and images, but it obviously doesn't work for executable files or text!  You can't run text through an interpreter to turn my long diatribe above into "lossy loses data, lossless doesn't".  It wouldn't really have the same impact!

This is lossy compression.  It saves WAY more space than lossless compression (that's why a MP3 is way smaller than a WAV or FLAC file), but it also throws data away.  That's fine in some cases, but sometimes you want the original pristine untouched original source.  When you do, you want lossless compression, not lossy.The JPEG your digital camera saves onto the flash card might look the same as the uncompressed image that comes off of the camera's sensor, but "underneath" it is NOT the same as the RAW file the camera sees.

So, that's the difference.  Lossless compression (like ZIP, FLAC, WAV, and APE) are PERFECT.  What you put in, is exactly completely identical and indistinguishable to what you get back out.  They just use a more efficient means of storage.  Lossy compression (like MP3, H.264, JPEG, and GIF) are NOT perfect.  What you get out "looks and works similar" to what you put in, but they are not identical.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2010, 10:11:15 am »

Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2010, 10:20:03 am »

More info here:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Lossless_Compression

Thanks, I was going to go through and add links to my diatribe, but I think I'm too lazy.  That's certainly a good place to start, if you want to learn more.

crisnee

• World Citizen
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2010, 08:00:03 pm »

Just happened to read your explanation of compression glynor. Very nice, clear and pretty concise, given all the info. Thanks for taking the time.

There might be one issue re flac and ape etc. (compressed lossless audio), decompression adds a process to "just playing" music (or a more resource hungry process than "decompressing" (if that's applicable) wav files). I remember reading about how much time it took to encode and decode various lossless file types, decoding being the key here. If I remember correctly flac was way ahead (faster) of the others--this was several years ago. Anyway, if a system's processor is weak or doesn't have enough resources available to it because of a combination of a low power processor, and poor program design, or because another app is running simultaneously, the decoding of the flac file could affect the sound.

There are people out there who claim that anything that is going on in your computer system can affect the sound, including all the background services, how memory is used etc.

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2010, 09:26:49 pm »

They're wrong.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2010, 10:38:49 pm »

There are people out there who claim that anything that is going on in your computer system can affect the sound, including all the background services, how memory is used etc.

There are also people out there who claim the earth is the center of the solar system, that humans and dinosaurs co-existed, and that magic "mats" that you place on top of your CDs while playing them somehow "get the least significant bits that get lost and never get off the disc".

All of these people are a similar kind of crazy.

But there are a whole bunch more who don't get how computers work.  A little information can be dangerous.  As I mentioned in my diatribe above, there is certainly a "decode" penalty associated with increasing compression (both lossless and lossy).  However, Moore's Law long ago made short work of any issues with audio compression of any kind.  Video compression is only now being completely conquered at 1080p resolutions, but even that problem is now mostly solved with modern (non-mobile) hardware.  Rumors, of course, persist from a computer age long ago when everything was different.  Also, certainly, poorly designed motherboard audio solutions can pick up electrical noise on their analog outputs, which can be increased with a busy system (though even in these cases, the biggest offender is almost always the electrically noisy spinning magnetic disk).  However, I'm just going to assume that anyone even thinking about using lossless files of any kind (wav, Flac, or APE) would already have a high-quality output path from their system FIRST (preferably using an external DAC).  If you're worried about the differences between WAV and FLAC, and you're using motherboard audio, I have some land up north to sell you.

tjobbins

• World Citizen
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2010, 03:31:28 pm »

I'm an audiophile too, and back in the late 90s I had all my music in WAV format.  I had the same initial concerns as you about lossless compression.  In my case, I understood that lossless compression was possible in principle (like in ZIPs as others have explained), but I was still worried that perhaps lossless audio wasn't really lossless in some way.

So I took one of my WAVs, I compressed it to Monkey's Audio APE, then I uncompressed it back to a WAV with a new filename.  Then I did a file compare from the original WAV to the newly uncompressed WAV.  As expected, it was confirmed that the files were 100% bit-for-bit identical.

You really have nothing to worry about at all, and you should move immediately to FLAC or APE.  I recommend FLAC because it's a widely supported standard playable by many other media players and by  a range of portable devices (more so than APE), and the format also supports multi-channel and 24/96 recordings  (I don't think APE does those yet, unless I'm out of touch with recent changes.)

The tagging benefits of FLAC/APE are worth it alone, not to mention the 30+% space savings.

crisnee

• World Citizen
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2010, 05:45:53 pm »

They're wrong

Bryanhoop, You probably know everything so even though you haven't proved it to me, I'll just believe. So the rest of my post is addressed to the others, not you.

I don't hear some of the things that other audiophiles claim to hear and I've done a lot of critical listening on good to very good systems and have for many years, but that still doesn't tell me that they're all wrong. It may not make sense to us that for instance background computer activities going on while music is playing simultaneously, affects the sound. After all we can't "scientifically" ascertain the difference. But we measure certain parameters, the ones that our how-audio-works rules have locked us into. Perhaps, we are not measuring everything there is to measure regarding sound. And I know, digital is digital. The earth is flat. And everything is everything except those pesky quarks and particles that are two places at once yet nowhere at all. I won't even mention fractals, oops.

If you believe that cables affect the sound, then it certainly makes sense that the computer or any vehicle that first reconstitutes the sound from digitial will affect that sound not only directly in the process but also indirectly as by "background services."

Of course if you just dismiss that cables have a sonic signature then you shouldn't be reading this far anyway. I haven't stated an opinion any where, although I hope I've implied that open mindedness is essential, (although I'd settle for closed mindedness here if one got the other in real life). So here is my opinion. I haven't a clue. I don't have the money, nor the inclination to compare cables or computers critically, and even if I did, and didn't hear a difference, I probably still wouldn't proclaim that there is no difference.

Chris

Vincent Kars

« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2010, 04:07:06 am »

The explanation is that electrical activity going on inside a PC can affect the clock driving the DAC. It might be RFI, a ripple on the power rails, etc.
As decoding FLAC requires more CPU than WAV, you get more clock jitter and as a consequence FLAC sounds worse.

If this is true, I do think it is a design flaw.
Imagine your screen starts to blur the moment CPU increases!
On the other hand, DA conversion is a delicate process.
If Dunn is right we talk about a threshold of 20 ps, an incredible low value.
http://thewelltemperedcomputer.com/KB/BitPerfectJitter.htm

Almost all of these claims are based on subjective listening test, not the most reliable method.
Recently I found an interesting graph, the jitter measured on the SPDIF out of a Oppo blue-ray player.

Indeed running the system doubles the jitter.
However, 5 or 10 ps is still very low.
The periodic jitter (the spikes) are probably more relevant.
One thing is obvious, indeed the higher electrical activity as a result of the system running maps into a measurable difference in jitter at the SPDIF out.
Next question: how to translate this to a running PC?

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2010, 04:34:25 am »

I think disk or network I/O or even a mouse move can sometimes cause higher CPU usage spikes than lossless decoding. Reading bigger Wave files may sometimes be more CPU intensive than steady FLAC decoding. Some users read Wave files to a memory cache (in a way or another), but that memory needs to be refreshed from time to time by reading new stuff from the disk and also just using the memory is a process that causes "electrical interference".

IMO, this is nonsense. A modern PC with a multi-core CPU can do very CPU intensive tasks simultaneously during audio playback without affecting the audio quality at all. For instance, it is quite possible to encode H.264/AVC video with an encoder that uses multiple cores and listen to bit perfect audio at the same time.

And if any problems occur because of insufficient resources they do not produce some kind of minor audio quality changes. Playback will then stutter.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

bigmun01

• Recent member
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2010, 11:10:42 am »

If I may be allowed to offer a completely subjective opinion, I must say that, at least in my system, (which is capable of fairly refined audio playback) the improvement in overall sound quality since switching to MC from the several alternatives with which I have been involved pretty heavily before, and re-ripping most of my files to ape from wave, aiff, flac et al has been dramatic.
Storage space has not been a consideration for me, though I understand it is for many, so wave seemed to be the best alternative, and actually produced good results.  For whatever reason, however, ape is considerably better, so from my point of view, the compression factor is a non-issue.
I am extremely grateful to have finally switched to MC, and am looking forward to any further enhancements that may be in the pipeline, and quite willing to pay any upgrade fees that may be involved. I only wish I could retrieve some of the money spent on lesser media players.
Pages: [1]   Go Up