INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Random Crashes - Server related...?  (Read 5014 times)

ThoBar

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Was confishy
Random Crashes - Server related...?
« on: September 28, 2010, 02:37:34 am »

I'm getting random crashes for no apparent reason... the server machine is not playing at the time, or doing anything else that I'm aware of...

It's been going on for a few versions now - can't tell you when it started specifically though.

Logs here ...

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?

glynor

• MC Beta Team
Re: Random Crashes - Server related...?
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2010, 08:56:41 am »

I just reported that I've also been getting crashes with builds since 115 in the beta thread.  I have inlaws visiting right now and so I've been pretty busy and had limited time to mess around with Interact or any online forum.  Here's what I reported:

I've been getting a LOT of crashes since the 115 build update.  I haven't had time to mess with it and get some good clean logs generated, but I will try.  None of the newer builds have solved it.  Anyone else seeing the same?

My library hasn't changed substantially in the interim, so if it is a "bad file" then it isn't one that MC choked on previously.

Generally all I have to do to reproduce the crash is to open MC (defaults to Playing Now or the Start page on my systems) and then immediately open a view of some kind (sometimes my "all music" view, sometimes my "TV Shows" view, and in both Theater and Standard Views).  The instant the view opens and displays, MC will crash completely out.  Then I can re-open and try again.  Usually after 3-4 "tries" it will work and MC will be fine from then on.  This has happened on at least three of my machines using my home library.

I also haven't been able to try with other libraries yet, though I do have one or two I could use.

I haven't seen similar issues before.  I remember the first time it happened was on the first launch after installing build 115 with the fancy new database speedup.

Then Jim asked if I'd tried rebooting, and pointed out that a search-bug that caused crashes (but it was actually causing a hard-lock) was just recently fixed.  To that I responded:

I've absolutely rebooted the systems in question (I've been messing with my HTPC with my new Denon a bunch).

I'm not 100% that I've seen it with build 118, but I can pay attention and see if it is solved.  It doesn't happen every time I launch MC.  It just seems to get "stuck" and then take a bunch of crashes to kick itself out of it.  Then it'll be fine for a bunch of uses...

I'll try to mail logs out when I have a chance (it happens most often on my HTPC and I don't have an email client set up to mail the logs with on that machine).  By the way... Anyone know how can I fix the "Mail logs" function of MC (and other stuff, if possible) to just work with Gmail?  I tend to just use the Web UI of Gmail the most anymore.  Email clients feel so Eudora in 1994.

I should have posted it here since 118 is public now.  I haven't had time to mess with it since though.  Perhaps tonight, but probably not until the inlaws leave this weekend.  Subsequently, rjm posted that he's also seeing the same behavior.  For both of us, it seems like it is easiest to reproduce it if you launch MC and then IMMEDIATELY switch to a view with lots of items visible.  If you launch MC and then let it "calm down" for a bit, it seems to stay more stable.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2010, 10:49:55 am »

The Podcast engine is crashing parsing a podcast.  It's not a problem with the podcast itself.

Please install this build, and send me a crash log when the crash occurs:
http://files.jriver.com/mediacenter/test/MediaCenter150120.exe

It adds more logging which should help us track down the issue.

It also changes how some thread locking works in the Podcast engine, so there's a slight chance it will fix the issue.

Thanks for your help.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

georgem29

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2010, 11:07:02 am »

I've been having the same problem since I upgraded from 70 to 87. The logs do make it look like it might be a Podcast issue, so I installed 120. I can provide logs if I have a crash before you figure it out.

Thanks for looking at this issue.

ThoBar

• Was confishy
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2010, 11:19:44 am »

Is it this problem?
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=59664.msg403826#msg403826
Nope. Almost Vanilla XP machine. (runs VM Server also)

The Podcast engine is crashing parsing a podcast.  It's not a problem with the podcast itself.

It also changes how some thread locking works in the Podcast engine, so there's a slight chance it will fix the issue.

Thanks for your help.
  Installing now, will let you know.

rjm

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2010, 11:22:22 am »

Thanks for your help.

That makes perfect sense. I have about 30 podcast feeds and was going to mention that this might be something somewhat unusual compared to others not experiencing crashes.

ThoBar

• Was confishy
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2010, 11:23:21 am »

Well, it certainly looks better in terms of whats in the podcast area now.

MC has now picked up icons and info that was previously not appearing... so thats an improvement :) ..

... now to wait for a crash....

ThoBar

• Was confishy
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2010, 11:25:55 am »

That makes perfect sense. I have about 30 podcast feeds and was going to mention that this might be something somewhat unusual compared to others not experiencing crashes.
I have only two, one of which is a Deviant Art podcast which I don't think works in MC anyway, and this one .... http://downloads.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/radio3/lebrecht/rss.xml

georgem29

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2010, 02:24:02 pm »

I just had 120 crash. Log sent.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2010, 05:15:38 pm »

Thank you very much for the log.

Please try again with this build (anyone with this problem) and send me the log once it crashes:
http://files.jriver.com/mediacenter/test/MediaCenter150124.exe

We may need to do this two or three times before we get to the bottom of the problem since we haven't been able to reproduce it here.

Thanks again.

georgem29

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2010, 08:08:02 pm »

Got and installed 124. I'll let you know what happens.

I have all the log options checked. Is that necessary, or should I turn some of them off?

Thanks for looking at this. It's been bugging me for a while; I just never got around to complaining about it!

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2010, 09:25:28 pm »

Bump.  It would make my day to get a crash log from 124 posted above.

Thanks.

ThoBar

• Was confishy
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2010, 09:28:26 pm »

do you want me to install 124 as well, even though 122 hasn't yet crashed for me?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2010, 09:41:05 pm »

do you want me to install 124 as well, even though 122 hasn't yet crashed for me?

Yes, please.

georgem29

• Recent member
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2010, 02:13:55 am »

Bump.  It would make my day to get a crash log from 124 posted above.

Feels weird to be saying this, but unfortunately 124 hasn't crashed on me yet. Typically it hasn't gone much more than a couple of days between crashes so I expect one soon. I'll send the log when it does.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2010, 03:33:30 pm »

I've also seen no crashes at all since 124.  I think it was the importing problem for me.  I almost ALWAYS have new files to import.   ;)

I'll let you know if I see it again, but I think you solved it.  I beat on it pretty hard last night and it wouldn't crash on me at all.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

lepa

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2010, 04:58:56 am »

I also had crashes. Wasn't sure if it was my system until I saw this thread. After .124 I haven't had any MC crashes. (I also use podcast feeds.)

So thanks for fix.

georgem29

• Recent member
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2010, 07:30:14 pm »

Crash log from 124 sent.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2010, 10:26:23 pm »

Thank you very much for the log.  It's just what we needed.

I'll post more details (or another test build) Monday once we get a chance to review the code.

dasfoo

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2010, 03:01:26 am »

I've been getting these a lot lately, also. Using each of two different libraries: one with a large music archive and 30+ podcasts, and another with a few hundred videos. It actually started when I was using Version 14, and now I'm using the v15 trial. I started with 15.0.113, then updated it to 15.0.122 and tonight grabbed the 15.0.124 you posted. I'm on XP MCE SP3.

The music library I leave open (but not playing or doing anything) most of the time, and often find it has crashed upon returning to my desk. The crashes rarely occur when I'm using the library. Often it crashes overnight.

I just started the new video library this weekend and have been tagging files with the Wikipedia lookup. It works fine for a while if I've left it alone for a while, but after the first crash, I get pretty quick and frequent crashes upon going back in and trying to update more files. When I installed ver .124 it worked fine for quite a while without crashing, but just went down again. There doesn't appear to be a specific action that triggers it. Sometimes it is tagging a file, sometimes it's selecting a file.

I'll send you a log file.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2010, 06:50:46 am »

dasfoo,
Please try the link called "Stability" in my signature.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2010, 11:47:10 am »

Please try again with this build (anyone with this problem) and send me the log once it crashes:
http://files.jriver.com/mediacenter/test/MediaCenter150126.exe

If you do Ctrl+Shift+T with this build, it will force all Podcasts to update.  Doing this over and over for a few minutes may provide an easier way to get the crash.

This build logs a lot more so your log file will get large.  Feel free to reset the log file occasionally.

Thanks!

georgem29

• Recent member
« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2010, 12:19:21 pm »

I didn't need to force an update; 126 crashed almost immediately after startup. Log sent.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2010, 02:04:18 pm »

Thanks for the log.

A core string routine could read four bytes too far, causing a crash.  This has been a problem since July 6 this year.

It will be fixed in build 127 and later.

I really appreciate all the help tracking this one down.

georgem29

• Recent member
« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2010, 02:12:56 pm »

Nice! Glad you were able to figure it out. I forget how much I rely on Media Center until it starts acting up.

dasfoo

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2010, 01:35:11 am »

Thanks for the log.

A core string routine could read four bytes too far, causing a crash.  This has been a problem since July 6 this year.

It will be fixed in build 127 and later.

I really appreciate all the help tracking this one down.

I can confirm, at least on my part, that after installing build 130 my crashing has stopped. I was experiencing chronic crashes while trying to use the "Look up on wikipedia" feature for videos, and since installing 130 I did another hundred or so files with no crashes. Previously, I was lucky to get through 10 files without a crash. Thanks!
Pages: [1]   Go Up