INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cannot control rip speed  (Read 2507 times)

haralson

• Recent member
Cannot control rip speed
« on: September 29, 2010, 01:31:49 pm »

I am attempting to rip CDs at various speeds to determine which speed gives the best audio quality. I have located the control that purports to enable the user to adjust rip speed from 1X up to maximum. But when I select "1X" or "2X" or "4X" and then click Rip, the software goes to maximum speed, regardless. I have tried several times, but always with the same result. How can control my rip speed?

Thanks.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Cannot control rip speed
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2010, 11:37:21 am »

Some hardware doesn't support rip speed selection.

The best audio quality will be obtained using "secure" ripping.  It reads all sectors at least twice (with cache defeating reads).  At the end of the rip, it provides a report on the security.

Secure ripping is the default mode in Media Center 15, and can be configured in Options > CD & DVD > Copy mode.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

haralson

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2010, 01:48:19 pm »

Thanks, Matt ... but now I have another question: My software is set to "Secure" in the COPY MODE (as opposed to the other two choices, Normal or Analog).

However, I also have to select READ SPEED, which offers the options of Max, 8X, 4X, 2X or 1X.

I understand that my drives (generic drives that came with my Dell computer) may not support speed selection, but which speed should I set in READ SPEED?

I just ripped a CD with the settings Secure/1X. According to the read-out, the rip began at about 4X and gradually worked its way up to 6.0X. Previously, when the READ SPEED was set (by default) to Maximum, the ripping also had variable speed, but it worked its way up to about 12X, as I recall.

If I want the best possible audio, which speed should I select? My sense is, the slower the ripping, the more accurate the process will be, but perhaps that isn't true.

Thanks!

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2010, 02:15:08 pm »

I would recommend setting the rip speed to maximum.

With secure ripping, the drive will read the physical disc multiple times and compare the results.  It will slow down (and report) if it finds any differences.

I don't think there would be any advantage to slowing the drive down in secure mode since it's double-checking its work.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

jack wallstreet

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2010, 03:56:17 pm »

Matt, 

You know far more than I do, but I have for years had problems not with accuracy of the rip, but with longevity of the CD (all my experiments are with CDs).  I think there is some anecdotal evidence that using a slower burn speed may increase the life of the CD before errors/noise starts showing up.  I have burned hundreds of CDs and now use a lower burn speed.  Not sure whether that helps, but it seemed to (very anecdotal).

Corrected, Corrected, Corrected:   Gappie - (see below) is right (is Gappie ever wrong?).  I completely misunderstood and apologize for reading the issue wrong.  My comments are ONLY about burning, NOT ripping (and I went through every brand there was, multiple burners  and settled on Taiyo Yuden.  Still had issues, but they were much better.  Still cut my burn speed.
John

haralson

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2010, 04:20:33 pm »

Wow! Thanks for the post, Jack. I had no idea that ripping could cause physical damage to a CD.

I am in no rush to rip my CDs, so I will use the slowest speed available. I presume the data verification feature works at any speed, so I see no reason to take chances.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2010, 04:24:04 pm »

Wow! Thanks for the post, Jack. I had no idea that ripping could cause physical damage to a CD.

Please don't spread this kind of information without backing it up with real data.

If you're having trouble with CD's, I would suggest two things.

1.  Switch the brand of disk.  Even the color matters for some drives.

2.  Buy a new drive.  They're very affordable.

gappie

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2010, 04:32:46 pm »

Matt,

You know far more than I do, but I have for years had problems not with accuracy of the rip, but with longevity of the CD (all my experiments are with CDs).  I think there is some anecdotal evidence that using a slower burn speed may increase the life of the CD before errors/noise starts showing up.  I have burned hundreds of CDs and now use a lower burn speed.  Not sure whether that helps, but it seemed to (very anecdotal).
i dont understand.. this is about burn speed isnt it, not rip speed..

I am in no rush to rip my CDs, so I will use the slowest speed available. I presume the data verification feature works at any speed, so I see no reason to take chances.
i had a cd player ones that started to eat cd's. but that was 22 years ago..

:)
gab

haralson

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2010, 01:31:49 pm »

Thanks to Jack for the correction.

To clarify, I use my computer only to PLAY and RIP CDs, not to BURN them. So I conclude that I can rip without fear of damaging the original disc.

From Matt's comments, it appears that no sonic quality is gained by ripping at slower than Maximum speed.

Re-reading the thread, it appears that Jack misconstrued my usage, and I then failed to catch his comment about burning when I reacted to the remark about damage.

Glad we were able to sort out all of these details!

Just further proof: Don't believe everything you read on the Internet!

Pages: [1]   Go Up