INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A recently added albums view  (Read 3669 times)

lostvibrations

• World Citizen
A recently added albums view
« on: October 07, 2010, 04:14:40 am »

I was wondering if anyone would be kind (and knowledgeable) enough to give me the "rules for file display" code for the to import, to do the following.

I want a tree item which comes under my "audio" node to show recently added albums. I would like it to be organised via year, month, then album artist. For example:

AUDIO
-Artists
-Albums
-Recently Added
---------January
---------February
---------March
------------Gong - You
------------Pink Floyd - The Piper at the Gates of Dawn
------------Ozric Tentacles - The Yum Yum Tree

etc.

Any help appreciated!!

gappie

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: A recently added albums view
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2010, 04:34:00 am »

when you make a new view. at the left add add a category choose expression. give it a name and use for instance this rule:
Code: [Select]
FormatDate([date imported,0],yyyy\MMMM)&datatype=[list] (this could also be splitup, but it does the trick)
make sure you set the sorting for the expression to date imported.
now add a second category, also make it an expression and use:
[album artist (auto)] - [album]
 :)
gab

edit; i attached a screenshot how it looks then

lostvibrations

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2010, 04:49:20 am »

Thanks again gappie !! :D

That does what I want. In the tree, above the list of months, if a node called "All FormatDate". Is it possible to remove this? No problem if not :)

gappie

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2010, 04:55:09 am »

i think its not possible to remove it, but you could give it an other name. i think you pasted the rule also in the name part of the expression.
you could also split it up. first the expression
FormatDate([date imported,0],yyyy)
and call that year. the node will give all years.
then the expression:
FormatDate([date imported,0],MMMM)
call it months.
than the artist album one.

make sure to set the sorting for each right.

gab

lostvibrations

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2010, 04:59:49 am »

Thanks, I'll look into that.

Once again, "bedankt voor de enorme hulp"!

:D

gappie

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2010, 05:01:09 am »

graag gedaan..  8)

mark_h

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2010, 11:42:22 am »

Now that *IS* impressive.  Didn't know MC could do this...  BUT is there anyway to define the views so that the expression generated subtree selections take on a defined view?  Right now it seems I have to see each one individually???

Mark

gappie

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2010, 01:46:23 am »

im sorry mark, i dont understand the question. im not sure with what you mean with a defined view.

gab

mark_h

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2010, 02:11:46 am »

So, for each of the subtrees created by the main expression, eg 2010, 2009, 2008, 2007 etc (or whatever the expression creates) - is it possible to define the pane view associated with the entries?  It seems they have a default view and if you want to change it you have to change each one individually...?  I'd like to set the view for the expression tree so that any new expressions that appear over time, eg 2011 take on my preferred view...

gappie

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2010, 02:30:00 am »

i think the file list in the pane will be the same for every entry, i just switched between details and album thumbnails and all show album thumbnails. but maybe you click on a place i dont.

ive been using something like this for a long time everymonth i get a new entry and its always the same.
which brings me to something also not everybody knows and what i really like.
when you take this view and leave out the album-artist part, and after you added the year and month entries in the customize view, set the view as to filelist. now you get all the years and months in the tree. but at the right site, the pane you can just get all your albums, for instance sorted by date added.
like this (its just a view giving everything new the last year).

gab

mark_h

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2010, 04:31:32 am »

I now see that if I customize the 'all' entry, the all entries below it take the customization.  However, this doesn't work perfectly yet as some of the display options, particularly sorting, don't work quite as wanted...  Will continue to play :D

rick.ca

« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2010, 06:14:39 am »

Using a Categories view and then selecting branches in the tree can make things rather confusing. Ignore the tree for a moment and focus on the behaviour of the view. Each category or "level" of the view can have a different "list style." This (and sorting) are set from the drop-down menu on the tab bar—for each level. In this case, for example, you might show years and month categories as lists, and then artists and albums (or artist-albums) as thumbnails. Those settings will stay as you've set them for each category as you navigate back and forth—using the view (e.g., double-clicking on a year to display months, or using "back" and "forward").

If you select a branch in the tree, however, the view will change from a Categories to a List type view—and the settings of your categories view will no longer apply. In a List view, you can apply a list style, but that style will apply to whatever branch is selected in the tree. To get back to the Categories view, select the root of the view in the tree.

mark_h

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2010, 08:15:14 am »

Getting closer, but still not working.

If I start with the view Gappie proposed above I have the following tree:

Date Imported ->
__All Date Imported
_____2010
_________October
_________September
_________August
etc

(as per image below)

I can set the viewscheme for 'Date Imported' correctly
Setting the viewscheme for 'All Date Imported' sets the default for all the children underneath

BUT because they are 'file lists' rather than just 'lists' I cannot create the views I'm after (as I've done elsewhere with other non-expression views).

Now, if I start navigating within the view, rather than the tree, and for instance go:

Date Imported - 2010 (in) - Albums - then I *DO* get the configurable list style I'm after, but it has to be set on an individual basis...  There seems to be now way, using expression trees to do this as the main nodes are 'file lists' which don't have all the necessary views available to them.

What I'm trying to achieve, as the default for any node in the tree is the following view:

I can currently only get that view by navigating through the view of the tree root (as per the image).

I don't think it's currently possible to set this view as the default for any branch of the expression tree...?

mark_h

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2010, 08:30:42 am »

Solution!  Switch View option Tree Image to Scheme Group - now when I click on the Tree nodes I get the view I want for each node by default.

WOW! :D

rick.ca

« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2010, 01:01:33 pm »

Solution!  Switch View option Tree Image to Scheme Group...

I see no difference in behaviour from what I described. ?

mark_h

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2010, 01:17:33 pm »

I see no difference in behaviour from what I described. ?

Using your method, with the default viewscheme Image of Audio I get a 'File List', not 'List', for tree subnodes and the view I'm using above does not work with 'File List' nodes...  Unless I'm missing something...  The first way I got things to work was to switch Image to Scheme and, hey presto I could use my view...

?

rick.ca

« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2010, 02:04:51 pm »

Sorry. Where I said "List view" I meant "File list view." And, yes, that was my point—when the view changes from a Categories to a File list view, the behaviour changes. AFAICT, changing the Image does nothing more than change the node icons and default placement of the tree. I can find no way to keep the Categories view while using the tree.

gappie

« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2010, 04:35:08 pm »

I can find no way to keep the Categories view while using the tree.
so why not leave it out in the first place when not necessary.  ;)
ah well.. that is how i like it anyway.

did not know that 'scheme' made any difference, marc. ill check it out.  :)

gab

edit: oops wrong edit..  ;D

mark_h

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2010, 02:39:40 am »

Sorry. Where I said "List view" I meant "File list view." And, yes, that was my point—when the view changes from a Categories to a File list view, the behaviour changes. AFAICT, changing the Image does nothing more than change the node icons and default placement of the tree. I can find no way to keep the Categories view while using the tree.

I have disabled tree browsing, so all browsing is done within the view, which using my method, retains the category view...  And now that I've written that, I see that switching Image back to Audio means it still works.  So you were right all along.   SO I wish that tree browsing would support category views and not just 'file list', but for now I can get around the issue by disabling tree browsing and working in the main view.

[edit]Actually, I spoke to soon.  Using Image: Audio and no tree browsing means that the file window is 'file list' format, not 'list' format, which breaks things again.  Grrr.  Back to Image: Scheme for now then.[/edit]

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2010, 02:57:22 am »

A single 'listbuild' expression based category can do all of this too. Try a pane built using this:

listbuild(1,\,formatdate([date imported,0],yyyy),formatdate([date imported,0],MMMM),[album artist (auto)] - [album])&datatype=[list]
If tree navigation is also selected, the tree is mirrored in the tree pane.

listbuild trees are neater than neat things!! :)

sorry, but the whole "file list vs list vs tree icon" thing lost me. Once I drill down into the tree, any tree, and select something, I get a list of files, I can only get "category view" browsing if I drill in through the category, bypassing the tree. I do see, that when selecting in the tree, the tab text changes to "file list" but I am not getting the difference between a list, and a file list.

-marko

mark_h

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2010, 03:20:58 am »

sorry, but the whole "file list vs list vs tree icon" thing lost me. Once I drill down into the tree, any tree, and select something, I get a list of files, I can only get "category view" browsing if I drill in through the category, bypassing the tree. I do see, that when selecting in the tree, the tab text changes to "file list" but I am not getting the difference between a list, and a file list.

-marko

It's the 'Group By' option causing the issues.  If I set that to NONE I get the results I want in both methods.  MC is SO powerful that sometimes it confuses me :D

lostvibrations

• World Citizen
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2010, 03:07:59 pm »

Gappie - the code you gave me up at the top of the thread works great  :)

I was wondering, is it possible to group by week after it has been grouped by month?

lostvibrations

• World Citizen
« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2010, 05:56:01 am »

i.e. Week 1, 2, 3 and 4.

Alternatively, group by day?

Thanks!
Pages: [1]   Go Up