INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC doesn't connect to another MC using DLNA  (Read 1465 times)

Bonex

• Recent member
MC doesn't connect to another MC using DLNA
« on: October 12, 2010, 01:45:31 pm »

Since a few builds I have a problem using DLNA.
I have two copies of MC installed on my work PC and HTPC. The work PC is set as both DLNA Server and Controller, the HTPC as Renderer. Since a few builds ago they don't connect each other. The Media Network Activity log of the MC running on the HTPC shows nothing.
If I open the Media Network options window of the HTPC MC and press OK they immediately connect. I don't need to change any option, I just press OK.
Today I tried to completely uninstall MC and reinstall it, but it didn't solve the problem.
I'm currently using build 130 under Win XP.
Is this some bug of MC?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: MC doesn't connect to another MC using DLNA
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2010, 01:59:03 pm »

Bonex

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2010, 05:20:05 pm »

I installed build 132, but it didn't fix the problem.
I tried to fiddle a bit with the options and here is how to reproduce it. I hope this explains better.

1) Select Options|Startup|Location: Last Location
2) Select Options|Media Network|DLNA Renderer only and click OK.
3) Open a tab with the Media Network activity. The Renderer server is running.
4) Close MC leaving the tab open.
5) When you open MC again, it starts from this tab and the Renderer server is started properly after a few seconds.
6) Click on Audio|Albums to show your music, then close MC again.
7) When you open MC, it starts from Audio. Click on Services & Plug-ins|Media Network and this time no server is running.
8) Click on Options button, then OK. Two servers start: DLNA Media Renderer and SSDP Responder.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2010, 05:57:59 pm »

I have two copies of MC installed on my work PC and HTPC. The work PC is set as both DLNA Server and Controller, the HTPC as Renderer. Since a few builds ago they don't connect each other.
Are they in two locations or are they on the same network?

A firewall could cause a problem like this.

Bonex

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2010, 10:20:04 am »

It is a small home network, where the work PC is directly connected to the Internet, and the HTPC is connected to the work PC via LAN cable. On the HTPC I have no antivirus, I only use the Windows Firewall set to allow the sharing of two folders where I store music and video and the Internet connection for MC and Firefox. On the work PC I have Outpost Firewall and Avast. 
Anyway, I tried to disable the Windows Firewall and both Avast and Outpost, but I can still reproduce the problem following the procedure above. I forgot to mention that I can reproduce it on both computers.
BTW, I noticed that the Renderer server is always started if MC starts with the Media Network tab open, and never if it starts on a different location, like Start or Playing Now, etc.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2010, 10:34:30 am »

It is a small home network, where the work PC is directly connected to the Internet, and the HTPC is connected to the work PC via LAN cable.
So it sounds like they are on the same network at home.
On the HTPC I have no antivirus, I only use the Windows Firewall set to allow the sharing of two folders where I store music and video and the Internet connection for MC and Firefox. On the work PC I have Outpost Firewall and Avast.  
Make sure any firewall allows MC full access.

Bonex

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2010, 09:18:59 am »

Yes, they are on the same network at home.
Today I made a fresh install of Win XP on a secondary partition. I installed only Win XP Home + SP3 + drivers and MC 15.132, but it didn't fix the problem: when I open MC, the DLNA Renderer service doesn't start (unless I force MC to open the Media Network tab at startup using the Startup|Location option). Anyway, I noticed also that if I set MC as both Renderer and Controller, then the Renderer service starts correctly at startup after a few seconds, so now I have a sort of workaround.
Now my network is set like this: the work PC is Server and Controller and the HTPC is Renderer and Controller and I can again see the HTPC under the Playing Now zones.
Couldn't it be some strange bug?
Have you tried to reproduce the problem using the steps above in #2?
Pages: [1]   Go Up