INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Library Server crashes  (Read 1307 times)

Otis Foster

• Recent member
Library Server crashes
« on: October 15, 2010, 09:43:10 am »

I've just installed 15.0.95 on my primary home machine (server) and office client. The Library Server has been activated and provided me with a connection key. I've opened port 52199 in my home router and authorized MC as a firewall exception. Using the ping tool in MC, I've confirmed that the port is open and accessible.

My office unit has unrestricted net access. I have no difficulty accessing other streaming audio programs (Pandora, Slacker, etc.) When I start MC and attempt to access my server library (File>Library>Connect to Library Server), the program searches briefly, flashes an error message and crashes immediately.

I've done a complete uninstall (Revo Uninstaller) and reinstall, same result. I've also done a reboot. I've attempted to connect using both the key from the server and the alternative address, same result.

Have other users reported any similar crashes? Is it likely that there is something in my office system/firewall that's creating this problem? I would have guessed that, except the problem is unique to MC.

I should add that when I test the outbound connection in MC using Tools/Options/Media Network/Manage  Access etc. I am told that I have no outbound connection and should authorize port 52199. Is it necessary to open that port in the client network? (Good luck on asking our IT department to do that...) I thought that the client would access the server through port 80 in the client network, which clearly is open.

Here is my system information. I tried capture a screen shot of the error log, but that freezes my workstation:

Media Center 15.0.95 Registered -- C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center 15\

Microsoft Windows XP  Workstation 5.1 Service Pack 2 (Build 2600)
Intel Pentium 4 2791 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 1038 MB, Free - 259 MB

Internet Explorer: 7.0.5730.11 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.82.2900 / Shlwapi.dll: 6.0.2900 / Shell32.dll: 6.0.2900 / wnaspi32.dll: N/A
Ripping /   Drive E:   Mode:ModeSecure  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Digital playback: Yes /  Get cover art: Yes /  Calc replay gain: Yes /  Copy volume: 32767
  Eject after ripping: Yes /  Play sound after ripping: No 

Burning /  No burners found.
  Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: No /  Write CD-Text: Yes
  Use playback settings: No /

Portable Device Info
  Removed devices:

Interface Plugins:
  last.fm (Active)
  TiVo Server (Active)

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Library Server crashes
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2010, 09:48:59 am »

Please install build 132 from the top of this board on both machines, and test again.

Then let us know what you find.  Thanks.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Otis Foster

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2010, 10:16:07 am »

Matt

Did install build 132, checked connections, etc., still crashes after momentarily reporting 'connecting to server'. then the error message. I wasn't able to copy the rather lengthy log for the error.

Any other ideas?

Thnx/Otis

Otis Foster

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2010, 03:20:23 pm »

Hi Matt

What do you suggest I try next? MC crashes when I use either the access code or the Internet address to access the server.

I'll double-check port forwarding and firewall settings on the server when I get home, but was careful about that during set-up.

Thnx/Otis

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2010, 03:36:30 pm »

It's strange for it to crash.  It almost sounds like the type of thing caused by security / anti-virus programs that inject themselves into other processes.

Are you running anything like that, and could you try disabling it?

If it still keeps crashing after that, email me a log from Help > Logging (matt at jriver dot com) with a link to this thread.

Thanks.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2010, 03:48:49 pm »

Testing from another location might tell you if it's something on your office network or machine.

Otis Foster

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2010, 09:13:51 am »

Jim

MC .132 connected perfectly to the server (using my laptop on the office network). I just sent Matt the logs, will be curious what he/you conclude. I suspect our system blocks this as an attempted security breach of some kind.

Otis

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2010, 11:17:48 am »

I'll copy an email response here as well:
Thanks for the log.

It looks like the program times out after 10 seconds connecting to the
Library Server.

It tests the server by connecting to this address:
http://192.168.11.1:52199/MCWS/v1/Alive

You should be able to visit that address in a browser.  If it doesn't
work in browser, something is blocking it or not routing it.

I'm investigating why failing to load a library would cause a crash.

Thanks again,
-Matt

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2010, 11:21:33 am »

Also, build 136 will have this fix:
Fixed: When failing to load a connected library using the 'Connect To Library' dialog, the program could crash.

When a library fails to load, the program is in a strange state when it shows the "failed to load" message.  It's basically running with no database.  I found one place where this could cause trouble.  It's possible there are others, so please report if you still get a crash on failing to load with build 136 or newer.

Thanks.

Otis Foster

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2010, 12:01:22 pm »

Thanks Matt - I'll look for .136. I can't access the address on my office computer either through MC or through the browser, but the laptop (running on the client wireless) accesses the server perfectly.
Pages: [1]   Go Up