INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Give them H O L Y H E L L, Zevele!  (Read 1579 times)

JimH

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Miller drives a tall-masted tractor on the ocean
Give them H O L Y H E L L, Zevele!
« on: June 17, 2002, 01:51:02 pm »

I think you said you were saving your ink for a good opportunity.  Somebody's fooling around with us here:

http://download.com.com/3302-2167-10118266.html?ob=1&pn=1&fb=0
Jim Hillegass
JRiver Media Center / Media Jukebox

ChicoSelfs

RE:Give them H O L Y H E L L, Zevele!
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2002, 01:58:30 pm »

there are very ignorant and stupid people
Made in Portugal

zevele1

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2002, 02:24:58 pm »

JimH

Late here more than one in the morning.Will do it after coffee\toast when i wake up

Most of it is ready,wrote down on a paper.This is for the 'regular part',will of cause put some cream on the top of the last posts

BUT DO NOT FLAME THE POSTS
Just make fun of them using humour that you mix with why you love this program

Scronch

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2002, 02:28:33 pm »

Well, I don't know about that.  On that forum, "jailer" (a.k.a. [expletive deleted]?) is blasting JRiver for the "U.S. Justice Department" threat.  You could see this coming.  Coding that pop-up warning was a very bad PR move.

Anyway, I just now submitted my CNET review under "Scroncher".  Hopefully it'll be up in a few days.

Scronch

SBrandsborg aka Mouseman

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2002, 02:31:49 pm »

damm some lamers!
i have just write a review (a good one)
~SBrandsborg (Mouseman)
E-Mail: steffen@sbrandsborg.dk

AlonsoN

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2002, 03:16:45 pm »

Here we are having a nice conversation about software we like with the folks who make it.  Sometimes the dialog is a little rough, but in context (like to unhappy user who gets turned around) things turn out fine.  But taken out of context some of the dialog really sounds bad.  I mean how the conversations MS and MM tech support sound if they were published and similarly snipped and submitted?

I too have been saving my review for a rainy day.  Will get on it.

I hate to even think it, much less say it out loud, but it would really truly suck if a business/PR decision had to be made that affected this community.  Especially since it would be caused by obviously malicious and hurtful people.

Oy.

JimH

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2002, 03:31:28 pm »

Thanks to all of the above for helping to watch our back sides.

Alonso,
> it would really truly suck if a business/PR decision had to be made that affected this community

The power of this group (or as Callithmpian says, critique) is that a bad decision can be discovered (and reversed).  My own opinion is that we still have some bugs in our detection, and we may be able to modify the result to be less distasteful.

And this community will muddle on.
Jim Hillegass

Ilmar

• World Citizen
  • JOATYou mean besides music?
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2002, 03:39:24 pm »

Hi

I agree that MJ's openness in dealing with problems is backfiring a tad. Unfortunately the malicious posters are referring in the main to beta testing comments.

The only way to deal with this effectively is to transfer all beta test interact posts to the developers forum or a Beta-specific forum, where they probably more correctly belonged in the first place!

The fragmentation would be unfortunate, but at least you wont get beta problems thrown in your face. Furthermore, the   beta testing forum should be accessable only to registered users, or those who have completed a profile?

Ilmar
Ilmar

"We make a living by what we get,
But we make a life by what we give"
     Sir WInston Churchill

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2002, 03:50:06 pm »

well a new forum might work

1. main forum - help on current version of mj
2. beta forum - help and bug reporting of current beta, when beta goes release delete the beta forum messages.
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

SBrandsborg aka Mouseman

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2002, 03:53:42 pm »

Yes that's a good idea
~SBrandsborg (Mouseman)
E-Mail: steffen@sbrandsborg.dk

sekim

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2002, 04:14:46 pm »

Just went through the reviews again and had a thought pop into my head.

With negative reviews and all, by people, who for no better reason than wanting to be jackasses, MJ still has a rather bright rating. I don't think you should let this bind your shorts to much. Those who have more patience then a gnat, and actually go through the trouble of learning how MJ works, will be more then happy with its performance.

And a general question...Can you guys see how many times MJ has been downloaded from your servers? If so, wouldn't that be more of an indication as to how MJ is doing versus narrowminded reviews?

Listening to: 'Maybe' from 'It's Like You Never Left' by 'Dave Mason' on Media Jukebox

DeathRider

• World Citizen
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2002, 04:30:01 pm »

I added my 2 cents on the customer comments page, I listed it as a thumbs down so that those that look for the negative reviews to make a choice can hear the truth. Bellow is a copy of the text.

"I have read the negative posts and was amazed at the similar style in writing. It would appear that one person has a vendeta. Look, posts are a great way to find out about a program before you download it, but the final truth comes from trying it your self. You have nothing to lose and everything to gain.
One post said that the program spies on your syst, what a load of bull hockey, far far far from the truth. try it and see, run adaware before downloading and then after and you will see the truth. I have been a long time user of Media Jukebox and can tell you it is all that it says it is and nothing that the negative posts try to make it look like. I will go as far as to leave my e-mail address as prof that I speak the truth unlike those that have something negative to say and cant stand up to what they say and hide behind a nickname. you realy want proof, then go to their website to the interactive page and see what real users say about it and see how the owner and staff are on the site daily to help with questions and concerns.
Any software has the occasional bugs, but not all software makers go out of their way to hear the problems and try to help. The JRiver crew go way out of their way to be help full and it does them no justice when someone with a personality issue wants to pout and stomp their feet and simply say it dont work, I hates it.. It works but each PC is different and sometimes needs a small tweak here or there. I can go on all day but you have better things to do than listen to me. See for your self, take the 30 day trial period and see the proof, the only true judge of the software can be your self, user comments are simply a tool, not a fact.
Robert Long.
"DeathRider on MJ interact page" and my e-mail address is legngrill@excite.com
I have enough guts to stand behind my words, does any of those with negative report have the guts to do the same...."
Robert Long

DeathRider

• World Citizen
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2002, 04:41:03 pm »

I read some more of the negative post's, I am a little curious, one of them sounds like it comes from someone that has spent some time on this site. It does not sound like a hit and run user.
Robert Long

JimH

« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2002, 05:11:58 pm »

Deathrider,
How true, how true.  And thanks!

Machinehead,
I'm not too disturbed by it.  As you say, there are a lot of positive words there.

Yes we can see how downloads are going.  They are up and sales are up since we went to full release of 8.0.  

We've also had inquiries lately from several well known companies, so things are looking good.

llmar and KingSparta,
I like the way things work now.  We make ourselves more vulnerable by exposing our weaknesses, but we also end up making a better product.  Remember Gorbachev's "glastnost"(open-ness)?  It worked.  It just didn't work the way anyone expected.

To all,
Thanks again.  We're lucky to have you guys along for the ride.

Jim
Jim Hillegass

claudio

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2002, 05:30:11 pm »

Jim,

There will always be people that have their own agenda, and that will post negative review. I share MachineHead view that MJ now has a healthy 90 % positive and that a few negative reviews should just be accepted as a fact of life.

I also agree that the  licence strategy is harsh and likely to generate PR nightmares: I may be just too naive, but are there so many people that would go to extreme extend to crack a program that cost 25 buck (and that provides a limited free version )? Shouldn't you guys just detect those cases and simply refuse to run. The message should actually be reversed and assume that the license mishap happend for some disk corruption or such, and ask people to be patient and contact JRiver to clear up the situation.

MJ has gained his place with solid features, and innovation and anybody that tries it will see through those reviews very easily. Just turn this occasion around, and use it to show how JRiver listen to users and adapts quickly to critiques and suggestions that are beneficial to the program/comunity

Claudio

JimH

« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2002, 06:04:46 pm »

Claudio,
> I may be just too naive, but are there so many people that would go to extreme extend to crack a program that cost 25 buck (and that provides a limited free version )?

This is a sample:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF8&oe=UTF8&q=%22media|PLS|jukebox%22|PLS|crack&btnG=Google|PLS|Search

If anybody's really interested, I'll paste a few days of the logs here sometime.
Jim Hillegass

claudio

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2002, 06:23:07 pm »

Jim,

Sure, I know that your can easily find cracks for pretty much everything, but what I meant is if the number of people using them was significant (assuming you have some way of estimating it).

I take it from you offer to post your logs, that I was indeed wrong assuming that it's a small percentage.

Claudio

DeathRider

• World Citizen
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2002, 06:23:49 pm »

I have to say that I side with JimH, I dont mean to step on any toes, but I have to admit that I did the free thing on the net for a while but in my case it got boring fast, One can lose the joy in something if it is free, one enjoys something more if they have to pay for it. The thing is that the net has shown many people a broader term of the word free and because of this there are a lot of people who want nothing but free. We had free internet, free search engines, free news, free stock info sites, ect ect. Sometimes the use of free to attract customers can whip lash, right now there is a breed of net users out there that is growing becasue they know nothing but free and they will not stop to smell the flower and pay for it to take it with them, they will smell it and snatch and run. People like JimH and his crew deserve to be paid for there product, albeit that some tweaking can be done to the licensing methods but for the most part it is fair. There was a news article I read on excite.com about holding software makers liable for their product just as you would a manufacturer of say a toaster, We still need to hold our selves liable for the use of a product in accordinace with any agreements with the sellers of a product. Times have changed and the way we do buisness has as well, we need to roll with the punches just as we expect the producers of a code product to change with the needs of the consumer. A balance between the two sides needs to be found and I believe that JimH is moving in that direction and is doing it in a very thaughtful and carefull manner. For now JimH has found a fair way of securing his income and providing a quality product, Everything is evovling in this digital age and it takes all of our attention just to keep up with it, unfortunatly most of the weight is on the shoulders of software producers, excluding microsoft who has us by the short hairs. I dont mean for this post to sound harsh or brash, but I just had my one beer a week ration (Due to my sugar intolerance) and feel a little loose ""HickUP"". LOL
Robert Long

Imaginer

« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2002, 12:12:20 am »

One name is "problematic" and the other is "privacy", this guy has issues, and I don't think they're with this program.  If he had put any thought into this he'd have come up with something that sounds a little less like someone who made several accounts just to try and screw you.

This is the best jukebox program that I've been able to find, and while I only intend to use it to organize my files (no ripping, burning and such) my money is JRiver's the second I get a new hard drive.

eso

• World Citizen
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2002, 05:43:44 am »

I just read the "offending" reviews on download.com and in turn the Interact thread regarding the "U.S. Justice Department" message. It was quite amusing, because it reminded me of some kind of "scandal" several years ago here in Germany. A shareware author who feared crackers built in a very obscene message that were intended only to be displayed when someone tampered with the copy protection. But due to bugs in the "defending" code it accidentally could also appear for normal users.

Although the Media Jukebox message is far from being obscene the basic mentality behind it is quite the same. And as almost always (as has been shown) such measures will mainly affect the regular users, not the crackers.

Are you really wondering that some (especially new) users will feel offended by such "features"?
Pages: [1]   Go Up