INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Video - How to Restore Library View  (Read 1602 times)

pcstockton

• Citizen of the Universe
Video - How to Restore Library View
« on: October 31, 2010, 02:43:32 pm »

On the left toolbar I had deleted everything I could except for music.  I cannot figure out how to get Videos back on the list.

When I imported my pictures, Images automatically showed back up.

But when importing Videos, the Video group is still hidden.  It shows that I imported videos but I cannot find them anywhere.

Help please?

Thanks,
Patrick
HTPC (ASRock Mini PC 252B: i5 2520M Sandy Bridge/HD3000 - 2.5 GHz - 8GB RAM - 256GB Intel SSD - Win7 Home) > MF V-Link 192 > Wireworld Ultraviolet > Naim DAC > Naim NAC 102/NAPSC/HiCap (PSU) > Naim NAP 180 Amp > Naim NACA-5 Speaker Cables > Naim Ariva

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Video - How to Restore Library View
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2010, 03:06:02 pm »

Check what you have selected in Option/General/Features.

pcstockton

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2010, 03:22:24 pm »

Jim,
Thanks!
I did that... in fact that is where i removed everything I found extraneous.

Then when i wanted to restore Images and Videos, re-ticking the boxes did not bring the categories back.

Strangely, importing pictures did restore Images.  But not so with Videos.

Should I just re-tick everything?

Also, I of course restarted J River after making the changes.

Thanks again for the epic support.
Patrick
HTPC (ASRock Mini PC 252B: i5 2520M Sandy Bridge/HD3000 - 2.5 GHz - 8GB RAM - 256GB Intel SSD - Win7 Home) > MF V-Link 192 > Wireworld Ultraviolet > Naim DAC > Naim NAC 102/NAPSC/HiCap (PSU) > Naim NAP 180 Amp > Naim NACA-5 Speaker Cables > Naim Ariva

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2010, 05:53:55 pm »

Maybe you deleted the files from MC.  If so, one of the options lets you leave the files on disk and just removes them from MC.

If that's the case, you can still re-import them IF you select the option in import to also import any deleted files.

pcstockton

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2010, 06:00:26 pm »

Jim,

the files are fine.

What is missing is the Category "Videos" in the left toolbar.

When I import the videos there is no way to find them.

Thansk,
Patrick

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2010, 06:09:28 pm »

If you've tried importing them and they don't show up, then they probably weren't imported.  You could try a search.

One possible reason is that they were deleted previously.

Another is that they can't be opened by MC.  A missing DirectShow filter is a possible reason.

But please explore the deletion path first.

pcstockton

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2010, 06:16:54 pm »

Jim,

They import just fine, into the "Recently Imported" Playlist. And they play in JMRC.

I just cant see them anywhere else because the Videos category is gone.  In the left most column toolbar, where it normally says:
Audio
Images
Videos
Playlists
etc....

I unticked many things in Options>General>Features previously to clean that area up as my plan was to only use MC for music.  Now I am loving it so much I want to use it for everything.  Re-ticking them does not bring them back.

Importing photos did automaticaly restore "Images", but importing videos is not having the same effect.

Thanks!
Patrick

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2010, 06:25:46 pm »

If you can find one, edit the tag and see what the "media type" is.  If it's not "Video", try changing it.

rick.ca

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2010, 07:23:32 pm »

What is missing is the Category "Videos" in the left toolbar.

I don't know that there's anything special about the "Video" root category, other than one of that name is provided by default. Try adding it back yourself. In Add Library View... select Location: (Root) and name the view "Video." In Rules for file display, add [Media Type]=[Video].

The primary/default views can't be deleted. Right-click on your new Video category and see if Delete is enabled. If it is, it's not the same as the default Video category, and you should probably hold out for a better solution.

pcstockton

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2010, 08:18:46 pm »

OK... very strange.  No matter what I could not get that grouping back.  So i created a view as you said to try.  But "Delete' wasn't greyed out.  So I added  "Videos" in Theater View.  The files were now there (but wouldn't play).  So i went back to standard view but still no "Video" category on the left.

So I went in and deleted "Videos" from Theater View.....  and BOOM!  Videos popped up on the left!  I have no idea how this triggered it.

Anyway....  Only some of my avi files will import and none will play.  It just brings up a black screen with a faint MC logo.  It says the files are playing but no audio or video.  Any thoughts on this new conundrum?

Thanks!
Patrick
Pages: [1]   Go Up