INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help--Need an App to run JRiver from an iPhone to a Windows 7-based PC  (Read 3746 times)

jsjanx

• Recent member

I've just completed ripping my CD collection through JRiver and am about to begin streaming at various sample rates from a PC through a USB DAC to my stereo.  I searched the forum and found a reference to "xptunes", but it was dated 2007.  Please recommend an Ap that I can use on my iPhone to remotely drive JRiver on my PC. 
Thank you

Lasse_Lus

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Help--Need an App to run JRiver from an iPhone to a Windows 7-based PC
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2010, 03:45:41 am »

safari
MT5FR

csimon

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2010, 05:09:16 am »

If you set up JRiver as a DLNA Server and Renderer then you can use a DLNA Controller such as PlugPlayer on the iPhone to control it.  Turn on the DLNA from the Media Network menu.

Or you can do it over the web with the Webremote server - again turned on from Media Network.

Each requires their own library views to be set up, aside from the views you may have laready set up in the JRiver front-end.

Note that these are client/server technologies and do not remotely control your JRiver installation as though you were sitting on that PC, what they do is broadcast the library to the iPhone app, the iPhone app lets you browse it and then send a message back to JRiver to play the selected item.  For pure remote control, you might need a Remote Desktop or VNC app.

olinbg

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2010, 07:56:54 am »

Personally I've found HippoRemote to be the best solution for me on iPhone:

http://hipporemote.com/

It has a built in MC profile, and the ability to customize profiles and add your own keyboard shortcuts in-app.  Requires running a small footprint VNC server on the PC side, but once you have it set up, you can control any app and use the iPhone as a mouse/keyboard.

Works great with Theater View on my TV.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2010, 10:14:18 am »

safari

I actually agree with this snarky comment here.  WebRemote is quite capable.  Search the forum for WebRemote for more info, and you should find all that you need.  That plus AirMouse is generally all I need, though I'm using a HTPC where I can see the screen easily in the room.

Alternatives might be PlugPlayer (which I bought but haven't found exceedingly useful).  I haven't ever used HippoRemote before, but now that I look at it, it looks pretty darn sweet for an AirMouse replacement.  Thanks for the tip, olinbg!
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2010, 10:23:22 am »

I haven't ever used HippoRemote before, but now that I look at it, it looks pretty darn sweet for an AirMouse replacement.  Thanks for the tip, olinbg!

Wow.  Sold.  The last time I looked at HippoRemote, it was no where near as good (that was a long while ago though).  But man, it has really improved while AirMouse has just held steady.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?

pcstockton

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2011, 04:15:28 pm »

What's not to like about PlugPlayer? 

It is basically identical to Apple's Remote App but with Playlist creation.

Plus it of course allows streaming to the iPhone/iPad (even over the web so you can bring your MC library with you on the road).

You now get small thumbnail art in Album View.  It has the jump letters and everything.... I cant stand the "Pages" approach of Webremote.

-Patrick
HTPC (ASRock Mini PC 252B: i5 2520M Sandy Bridge/HD3000 - 2.5 GHz - 8GB RAM - 256GB Intel SSD - Win7 Home) > MF V-Link 192 > Wireworld Ultraviolet > Naim DAC > Naim NAC 102/NAPSC/HiCap (PSU) > Naim NAP 180 Amp > Naim NACA-5 Speaker Cables > Naim Ariva
Pages: [1]   Go Up