INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Pops and clicks  (Read 3141 times)

MadDan

• Recent member
Pops and clicks
« on: November 08, 2010, 02:03:28 pm »

I am in a search for good audio software.  I would really like to use J River but, out of all the software I have installed, both Media Jukebox and Media Center one generate pops and clicks.  Of all the software I have tried, they are the only two who that do this.  Both pop as soon as they open and continue to pop periodically until they are closed.  I have also tried foobar2000, iTunes, KMPlayer, Windows Media Player and XBMC.

J River has features and sound (when it isn't popping) that I like.  Any idea why only is the only software does this?

Thanks.

- Danny

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Pops and clicks
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2010, 02:17:14 pm »

Welcome to Interact.

Please try other audio output modes:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Audio_Output_Modes

In particular, use this ladder:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Audio_Output_Modes#Choosing_Audio_Quality_Output_Mode

Let us know what you find.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

MadDan

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2010, 01:25:28 pm »

Due to the pops and clicks, I started using another program.  While the interface is not as nice as MC, the sound is very good.

I recently saw that you had replied so I thought I'd try installing MC again.  After installing, I cannot get any sound from MC out of the USB DAC driver.  I tried every output mode listed and started and stopped playback each time.

I also followed the instruction for a DAC at wiki.jriver.com/index.php/DAC_Settings and still am only getting sound out of the default driver and not out of the DAC.  I'd like to make MC work, but tomorrow my 30 day trial expires.

I'm willing to try any suggestions.

Thanks.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2010, 01:33:33 pm »

Assuming you're on Windows 7, in Options > Audio, pick 'WASAPI - Event Style'.  Also pick the correct device in Options > Audio > Output mode settings... (if you're not sure, try them all, stopping playback in between)

While testing, try playing a local MP3 or APE file to remove any complexities from file types or network drives.

Let us know what you find.  Thanks.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2010, 03:39:16 pm »

I'd like to make MC work, but tomorrow my 30 day trial expires.

FYI: I think there is now a process in the system to request an extension of your trial.  I think this would be a perfect reason to "apply" for an extension in that regard.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

MadDan

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2010, 09:47:49 pm »

I have an extension.  Thank you.

>> Assuming you're on Windows 7, in Options > Audio, pick 'WASAPI - Event Style'.  Also pick the correct device in Options > Audio > Output mode settings... (if you're not sure, try them all, stopping playback in between)

While testing, try playing a local MP3 or APE file to remove any complexities from file types or network drives. <<

Thanks for sticking with me.

I did both of those things.  I'm now getting the error below.  I changed the DSP settings to both "All sources" and "No sampling".  I changed the sample rate to every one of the different options.  I changed the bitdepth to 16, 24 and 32.  I still get the message shown below (with the obvious differences in the DSP settings mirrored in the error message).

"Media Center encountered an error while playing the last several files.  Please make sure that you path your media library points to the right location.

Error Details:

Playback could not be started on the output 'WASAPI - Event Style' using the format '44100 24 Bits per Sample, 2 Channels'.

The output format may not be supported by your hardware.  You can use the DSP Studio to change the output to a compatible format.

Also, make sure that your system has a valid sound playback device and that it is properly configured in playback options.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2010, 10:02:33 pm »

Some hardware does not support WASAPI - Event Style.  The last thing to try is 24-bit and checking the WASAPI option 'Preset 24-bit data in a 32-bit package'.

If you can't get WASAPI going, try a more compatible mode like DirectSound and be sure to select the proper device in Options > Audio > Output mode settings...

Let's go from there depending on the results of the above.

Thanks.

MadDan

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2010, 10:42:29 am »

I set it to WASAPI.  The result was that I get the following message 3 times followed by the message quoted in my previous post.  I changed DSP to 48000 Hz and 32 bit but was still getting the same error message only twice instead of 3X, but I was getting sound!  I found that when I played FLAC files that didn't happen.  I changed DSP to 2 Channels and the error messages went away.  The problem I was left with was that volume control in the software was having no effect (my ears are still ringing).  I was able to fix that by changing the volume to 'Internal volume'.  With that fixed I'm finding the volume control works much better than MediaMonkey.

I'm still getting occasional pops and clicks but right now they aren't too bad.  I want to listen to MC throughout the day and see how it goes.

Thank you very much for all your help.

The mixing format of your hardware does not support the current output format.

Please use the 'Output Format' tool in DSP Studio to convert the mixing format listed below:
Sample Rate: 48000 Hz
Channels: 2
Bits per sample: 32

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2010, 10:50:53 am »

Make sure you have the exclusive box checked in Media Center WASAPI's options.

Also, if you hear hiccups, increase the buffering setting in WASAPI's options.

MadDan

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2010, 12:22:34 am »

I am typically getting two pops after a song ends.  It's not too bad.

If I set WASAPI to exclusive, the sound goes out the default sound card rather than the DAC.

Thanks.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2010, 06:41:07 am »

If I set WASAPI to exclusive, the sound goes out the default sound card rather than the DAC.
That's not right.  Double check which device you have selected in MC's Audio options.

Exclusive mode just means that no other software can access the sound device.  It shouldn't change the device.

I assume you tried WASAPI Event Driven also.

MadDan

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2010, 11:04:37 am »

Sorry I didn't get back sooner.  I was out of town all day yesterday.

>> That's not right.  Double check which device you have selected in MC's Audio options.

Exclusive mode just means that no other software can access the sound device.  It shouldn't change the device. <<

Agreed, but it does.  I double checked it before I wrote last but checked it again just now.  The right device (DAC) is selected.  All I do to invoke Exclusive mode is to check "Open device for exclusive access".  That doesn't change the device although I did go back and check just to make sure.

>> I assume you tried WASAPI Event Driven also. <<

I had, but the result had been the sound going out the default device.  I tried it again and discovered that changing it to "WASAPI - Event Style" was automatically checking "Open device for exclusive access".  Unchecking that allows the sound to go out through the proper device (in this case the DAC), so now I am using WASAPI - Event Style only without exclusive mode.

Again, I really appreciate all your help.  Thank you.

MadDan

• Recent member
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2010, 01:46:27 pm »

I sense disbelief.  I'm a developer, so I imagine feeling the same way if I were in your shoes.  If you'd like, I can arrange a WebEx session in which I can demonstrate this to you.  It won't take long.  What I need to reproduce it is pretty basic.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2010, 02:03:54 pm »

Please investigate why exclusive mode doesn't work.  Try the device maker's support.  What is the device?

You never said whether you tried Matt's suggestion above:
The last thing to try is 24-bit and checking the WASAPI option 'Present 24-bit data in a 32-bit package'.

Read this very carefully:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/DAC_Settings

MadDan

• Recent member
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2010, 03:11:56 pm »

>> Please investigate why exclusive mode doesn't work. <<

I thought I had, but OK.

>> Try the device maker's support. <<

Looking for what?

>> What is the device? <<

A Maverick Audio TubeMagic D1 USB DAC.

>> You never said whether you tried Matt's suggestion above:
The last thing to try is 24-bit and checking the WASAPI option 'Present 24-bit data in a 32-bit package'. <<

You're right, I didn't.  Sorry about that.  OK this is where things get a little complicated.

If 'Open device for exclusive use' is not checked, I get sound out of the DAC regardless of whether 'Present 24-bit data in a 32-bit package' is checked or not.

If the file being played is an m4a file and 'Open device for exclusive use' is checked, the sound is emitted through the default device regardless of whether 'Present 24-bit data in a 32-bit package' is checked or not.

If the file being played is a flac file and 'Open device for exclusive use' is checked, the result is the following error whether 'Present 24-bit data in a 32-bit package' is checked or not:

"Media Center encountered an error while playing the last several files.  Please make sure that you path your media library points to the right location.

Error Details:

Playback could not be started on the output 'WASAPI - Event Style' using the format '48000 32 Bits per Sample, 2 Channels'.

The output format may not be supported by your hardware.  You can use the DSP Studio to change the output to a compatible format.

Also, make sure that your system has a valid sound playback device and that it is properly configured in playback options."

>> Read this very carefully:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/DAC_Settings <<

I have.  More than once.  I swear it.  I just went through it again. The results remain consistent with what I wrote above.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2010, 03:17:21 pm »

I would not test with m4a.  MC may use the Quicktime engine to play them.  You can check how MC is set under File Types in Options.  The wiki has an article on "M4P and M4A".

Try WAV, FLAC, or APE.

MadDan

• Recent member
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2010, 08:44:10 pm »

>> I would not test with m4a. <<

I tested with both m4a and FLAC.

>> MC may use the Quicktime engine to play them.  You can check how MC is set under File Types in Options.  <<

All the file associations are Automatic.

>> The wiki has an article on "M4P and M4A". <<

I couldn't find that article when searching for M4P, M4A or both.  Do you have a url?

>> Try WAV, FLAC, or APE. <<

I tried FLAC.  I was describing the differences between FLAC and m4a.  Shouldn't MC be able to play both?

NRGman

• Recent member
  • I'm 2 meters tall...
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2010, 01:09:37 am »

I may be wrong but the Maverick Audio TubeMagic D1 only re-samples to 24bit, 96 kHz so presenting data in 32bit form wont work..
Home: Media center / Sony - CDP-211 + Luxman L3 / NAD C356BEE + Digitech TT + Aaron ATS-5
Portable: iPod classic 120GB + UE triple.fi 10
Last.FM Page: http://www.last.fm/user/CruizinEB
Discogs Page: http://www.discogs.com/use

MadDan

• Recent member
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2010, 11:58:47 am »

Thanks for writing.  I agree with your information and I appreciate it.

I can get music out of the Maverick with BitDepth set to Source bitdepth, 24-bit or 32-bit.

I understand that the TubeMagic D1 is rated at 96 kHz but, regardless, when I am using MC, I can't get music out of the Maverick at any Sample rate except 48 kHz.

HiFiTubes

« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2010, 09:11:45 pm »

I am typically getting two pops after a song ends.  It's not too bad.

Thanks.

I have been slacking on my updates, and I have had the stereo off for a bit, but I just went to .167 and now I'm getting pops and clicks between tracks with my Event Style at 250ms. Will keep looking at this but using same hardware/settings.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2010, 02:02:46 pm »

I have been slacking on my updates, and I have had the stereo off for a bit, but I just went to .167 and now I'm getting pops and clicks between tracks with my Event Style at 250ms. Will keep looking at this but using same hardware/settings.

I don't think any WASAPI code has been changed recently on our side.  I haven't personally had pops or clicks, but we'll keep our eyes open.

You might think through hardware or software changes on your side as well.

HiFiTubes

« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2010, 02:04:31 pm »

Will do, thanks.

HTPC4ME

• LIFE IS A RADIO... CRANK IT UP TO 11!
« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2010, 04:13:41 pm »

hey guys i'm having a similiar problem, i posted over in sound cards. maybe i should of posted here?

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=61124.0

Thanks In Advance
Pages: [1]   Go Up