INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 [7]   Go Down

Author Topic: NEW: Gizmo 2 -- Stream to Android, play to a DLNA Server, control Theater View  (Read 125861 times)

dildaly

• Recent member

Collection is about 2tb and is hosted on a 4tb external hdd. Just checked download speed on a broadband checker - downloading at 11.47 mb/second - wireless from it will run skygo television which has to be more demanding than streaming audio. Subsequently have tried album selection as a way round it and found it goes to a blank screen, so it looks like it isn't just a problem with a strange artist name or character. 

Tyaru

• Recent member

Can I set repeat(or not) current playlist in gizmo?
I couldn't see how to set.

GreggP

• Galactic Citizen

I have Gizmo running on my Nexus 7. Everything is working. I can play when connected to my local network and thanks for port forwarding when I'm connected to the Internet at a different location.

Just writing to encourage you guys to keep improving the Gizmo interface. I'm hoping this app hasn't been set aside as "good enough" because there are lots of ways the user experience could be improved.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?

A new Gizmo should be available on the Play Store in an hour or so.

Changes are listed here:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=83139.0

Several changes were made to improve reliability and handle the switch between Wi-Fi and Data.

stelfe

Re: NEW: Gizmo 2 -- Stream to Android, play to a DLNA Server, control Theater View
« Reply #304 on: September 04, 2013, 02:07:17 am »

Thanks for all guys!
Everything works perfectly for me , but as I use it to listen music before sleeping, The playlist loop is really problematic...
Is there any possibility to disable it?

SeldomSeen

• Recent member

Since switching my cell provider from Verizon to Sprint I had been unable to stream over 3g with Gizmo...until this latest update.  Great work.   Whatever the networking changes were, they solved my issues.

nautibuoy

• Recent member
Re: NEW: Gizmo 2 -- Stream to Android, play to a DLNA Server, control Theater View
« Reply #306 on: September 11, 2013, 12:29:43 pm »

I'm having a problem with Gizmo on one of my Android devices. I'm currently running MC 19 and both my Android devices have the current version of Gizmo installed (updated via PlayStore today when it offered me another update.) but symptoms were the same with the previous version (installed a few days ago).

The problem occurs on my old Samsung Galaxy Tablet (GT-P1010) running Gingerbread; I can control MC just fine but when I select to play music locally on the tablet and choose something from the library I get the Album cover etc. displayed and the message 'Preparing' but playback never begins. This function, which I use a lot around the house worked fine until about a week ago on MC 17 and first occurred when I took a Gizmo update released at the end of August. The problem prompted me to upgrade to JRMC19 as I thought it might resolve the matter, but it hasn't.

On my Galaxy S2 smartphone (Android 4.1.2) local playback continues to work just fine.

On MC I have set the option to convert to high bitrate mp3 for playback on remote devices.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Ray

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #307 on: September 12, 2013, 10:14:23 am »

I'm having a problem with Gizmo on one of my Android devices. I'm currently running MC 19 and both my Android devices have the current version of Gizmo installed (updated via PlayStore today when it offered me another update.) but symptoms were the same with the previous version (installed a few days ago).

The problem occurs on my old Samsung Galaxy Tablet (GT-P1010) running Gingerbread; I can control MC just fine but when I select to play music locally on the tablet and choose something from the library I get the Album cover etc. displayed and the message 'Preparing' but playback never begins. This function, which I use a lot around the house worked fine until about a week ago on MC 17 and first occurred when I took a Gizmo update released at the end of August. The problem prompted me to upgrade to JRMC19 as I thought it might resolve the matter, but it hasn't.

On my Galaxy S2 smartphone (Android 4.1.2) local playback continues to work just fine.

On MC I have set the option to convert to high bitrate mp3 for playback on remote devices.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Ray
On Gizmo, in the Menu->Options->Audio
can you try the 3 different audio qualities and see if there is a difference (you should play a mp3 file to test).
The high option will not convert a mp3 that already exists in that format in your library.
This is a way to see if conversion is preventing your setup from working.

nautibuoy

• Recent member
« Reply #308 on: September 12, 2013, 02:47:44 pm »

On Gizmo, in the Menu->Options->Audio
can you try the 3 different audio qualities and see if there is a difference (you should play a mp3 file to test).
The high option will not convert a mp3 that already exists in that format in your library.
This is a way to see if conversion is preventing your setup from working.

Thanks Bob.
I have no mp3 files in my library, everything is FLAC.
Changing the different audio qualities on the tablet made no difference, I still got the 'Preparing' message.
I also tried the different mp3 qualities under the conversion options in MC but again no difference.
I have conversion on MC set to 'convert when necessary'; it just occurred to me that my Galaxy S2 phone is able to play FLAC files so I assume conversion is not happening.

Ray

nobody40

• Recent member
browsing files
« Reply #309 on: September 13, 2013, 08:17:00 am »

I wish it would allow me to browse my files.  Besides that I really like the app.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #310 on: September 16, 2013, 10:15:33 am »

Thanks Bob.
I have no mp3 files in my library, everything is FLAC.
Changing the different audio qualities on the tablet made no difference, I still got the 'Preparing' message.
I also tried the different mp3 qualities under the conversion options in MC but again no difference.
I have conversion on MC set to 'convert when necessary'; it just occurred to me that my Galaxy S2 phone is able to play FLAC files so I assume conversion is not happening.

Ray
Ray,
Gizmo converts in any case since the base level spec for android is only consistent on supporting MP3.

The 'convert when necessary' settings are only for DLNA and MC connected to MC via library server.
The only time Gizmo will not convert is when the source format is MP3 and the setting in Gizmo is high (since you can't increase the quality of a mp3 by reconverting it). I was just checking to see if conversion was the problem. You might try just converting a file in your library to MP3 to see if conversion works at all.

nautibuoy

• Recent member
« Reply #311 on: September 17, 2013, 02:10:25 am »

I was just checking to see if conversion was the problem. You might try just converting a file in your library to MP3 to see if conversion works at all.

Thanks Bob.

I was thinking along the same lines; I've converted some albums to mp3 and will transfer them to my MC library this evening and give it a whirl.

While I'm typing, I have to say that MC 19 seems to be a better implementation of DLNA than 17; I use DLNA to route music to my home cinema amp and previously I would experience some lost connections but now it seems solid and I've not lost a single connection.

Ray

nobody40

• Recent member
« Reply #312 on: September 18, 2013, 05:38:31 am »

So is there a way to view your music files using Gizmo?

HiFiTubes

« Reply #313 on: September 29, 2013, 12:49:45 am »

Hi Jim

Is this option built in to JRMC19 - so that one server can control many clients as zones?

2.  Play on [Device] -- this plays to any zone or DLNA Renderer, including a copy of MC (if DLNA is enabled under Media Network).

thanks

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #314 on: September 29, 2013, 07:46:04 am »

Gizmo isn't a DLNA Renderer, so you can't play to it from another device.  You can play to Gizmo from any copy of MC that has Media Network turned on.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #315 on: September 29, 2013, 05:25:46 pm »

Do you mean:

Gizmo isn't a DLNA Renderer, so you can't play to it from another device.  You can play to Gizmo Gizmo can play content from any copy of MC that has Media Network turned on.
JRiver CEO Elect

imugli

• MC Beta Team

So I'm starting to use gizmo more and more to control Theater View (I'd still prefer a proper second screen experience but that's for another thread), however when I get to the "Watching" part, I then need to revert to my remote or keyboard to Pause, Stop, Play etc. Are there any plans to integrate these functions into Theater View Remote in Gizmo?

nautibuoy

• Recent member

I've converted some albums to mp3 and will transfer them to my MC library this evening and give it a whirl.

Sorry for the delay in following up on this - stuff has a habit of happening! Anyway, I added an mp3 file to the library and the behaviour is unchanged. Gizmo displays a 'Preparing' message and doesn't get any further.  Just as a reminder, this happens on my Samsung Galaxy Tablet (GT-P1010) running Gingerbread. On my  Galaxy S2 smartphone (Android 4.1.2) local playback continues to work just fine.

Ray

connersw

So I'm starting to use gizmo more and more to control Theater View (I'd still prefer a proper second screen experience but that's for another thread), however when I get to the "Watching" part, I then need to revert to my remote or keyboard to Pause, Stop, Play etc. Are there any plans to integrate these functions into Theater View Remote in Gizmo?

Those commands are already integrated into Theater View Remote in Gizmo.  Tap once to pause, tap again to Play.  If you want more commands, tap at the top (it should say "tap for commands") or on my phone I can also hit the Menu/Settings button.  An additional Commands menu will come up with Play/Pause, Previous, Next, Volume, etc. 

nautibuoy

• Recent member

Sorry for the delay in following up on this - stuff has a habit of happening! Anyway, I added an mp3 file to the library and the behaviour is unchanged. Gizmo displays a 'Preparing' message and doesn't get any further.  Just as a reminder, this happens on my Samsung Galaxy Tablet (GT-P1010) running Gingerbread. On my  Galaxy S2 smartphone (Android 4.1.2) local playback continues to work just fine.

Ray

Curious! I've invested in a WesternDigital My Net 750 router with the aim of getting my DLNA equipped home cinema amp (Denon 1912) to stay visible and connected to MC; no joy on that front so far but suddenly I'm able to play music via Gizmo on my Gingerbread Galaxy tablet again.

Ray

scgt1

• Junior Woodchuck

Just some thoughts. Edit the references to the old app in the new app. I don't remember off hand exactly the terminology as a remote for theater view but it states information about the old remote considering there is no green button. also scrolling through items needs to have a way to move more rapid. There should also be a STOP feature directly on the remote screen. Not under the menu side of things. I don't know about you but on my DirecTV remote I don't pull up a menu to stop what I'm watching from the DVR. The app should also actually exit when you tell it to. On Android we are forced to hit the back button to close out the app yet it doesn't actually close out. There is an exit remote mode but then your stuck with no way to actually close Gizmo.

This newer version is a whole lot more stable but it doesn't work the same as the old remote. It takes forever and a day to scroll through movies where its a fluid fast flowing if the key is held down on your keyboard. The remote is a dinosaur and a snail mixed in one. It always starts on the A and takes forever to get to the other end of the alphabet if you have a large collection. Oh and also you shouldn't have to hold the up button if you want to go to the bottom of a list. It should be up once to get to the above menu which has watch, back, etc. Then once more to get to the bottom of a list. Not Hold the up location on the remote to get it to switch to the bottom.

It just needs a rework and performance increase ability along with an actual selection to exit and close the app.

Just my two cents from my experiences with it. It needs to be more of an actual remote and hold those features on the screen and not center itself around a circle. No one uses a remote with a circle why should this one be shrunk down into a non user friendly feature stripped remote? It's not necessary.

Oh yea and FF and RW are a joke just to say it bluntly.

GaryWW

• World Citizen

I just ran a test; connected my Android tablet PC to my A/V receiver using an HDMI cable. I was able to display / watch video on the TV and listen to audio from the AVR. All audio was 2 channel regardless of the source. I read in this thread that all audio is converted to mp3. If it wasn't converted, would multi-channel audio be passed thru the HDMI cable to be processed by my AVR? If so, could Gizmo be updated to allow this?

Update: 13/11/2013
Well, my tablet probably doesn't support HD audio pass-thru but there are Android mini PCs that do. Sounds like a sweet solution for a compact media player (Android mini PC & Gizmo) to play JRiver MC content.

jphilpit

• Recent member
Gizmo: Any effect on bit rate?
« Reply #322 on: November 24, 2013, 12:54:49 pm »

I am using Gizmo on my Sony Android tablet after downloading it this morning. I quickly got it to work controlling the connection from MC19 as a DLNA server to my Denon AV receiver as a DLNA renderer. But I have a question. In the Gizmo options, there are 3 choices for audio quality: 64, 128, and 320 kbps. All my files in the MC19 library are FLAC, and my Denon box supports FLAC up to 16 bit and 44.1 kHz (i.e., CD quality). Do those 3 audio quality options mentioned above apply when I'm just using the tablet as a controller? Or are the only in effect when streaming to the Android tablet itself? I don't want anything to compromise the benefits of using uncompressed audio.

P.S. I've bought, but not yet received, a $3500 DLNA Renderer that supports DLNA up to 24-bit and 192 kHz. If there's anything that will diminish that bit rate and bit depth I have to avoid it, or else that $3500 was wasted.

Micromecca

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Gizmo: Any effect on bit rate?
« Reply #323 on: November 24, 2013, 01:12:55 pm »

Do those 3 audio quality options mentioned above apply when I'm just using the tablet as a controller? Or are the only in effect when streaming to the Android tablet itself?

Those Quality settings only apply when playing TO the Android Device  :)

pcstockton

« Reply #324 on: November 24, 2013, 03:21:15 pm »

P.S. I've bought, but not yet received, a $3500 DLNA Renderer

What did you get, if you don't mind me asking?

-Patrick
HTPC (ASRock Mini PC 252B: i5 2520M Sandy Bridge/HD3000 - 2.5 GHz - 8GB RAM - 256GB Intel SSD - Win7 Home) > MF V-Link 192 > Wireworld Ultraviolet > Naim DAC > Naim NAC 102/NAPSC/HiCap (PSU) > Naim NAP 180 Amp > Naim NACA-5 Speaker Cables > Naim Ariva

jphilpit

• Recent member
« Reply #325 on: November 25, 2013, 10:49:32 am »

What did you get, if you don't mind me asking?

-Patrick

Hello, Patrick,
I bought the Naim ND5 XS.

I see the Naim image as your avatar. Do you work for/with them, or are you just a super-fan? I was introduced to the product line only a few days ago when the audio salesman here in NYC recommended the company. I'm really looking forward to receiving the box in about 2 weeks.

pcstockton

« Reply #326 on: November 26, 2013, 06:11:31 pm »

Hello, Patrick,
I bought the Naim ND5 XS.

I see the Naim image as your avatar. Do you work for/with them, or are you just a super-fan? I was introduced to the product line only a few days ago when the audio salesman here in NYC recommended the company. I'm really looking forward to receiving the box in about 2 weeks.

Very nice!  Enjoy!  I am just an enthusiast/owner.  Not a Naim employee.

Did you go to Accent up in Mt. Kisco?  If not, meet the owners at some point.
HTPC (ASRock Mini PC 252B: i5 2520M Sandy Bridge/HD3000 - 2.5 GHz - 8GB RAM - 256GB Intel SSD - Win7 Home) > MF V-Link 192 > Wireworld Ultraviolet > Naim DAC > Naim NAC 102/NAPSC/HiCap (PSU) > Naim NAP 180 Amp > Naim NACA-5 Speaker Cables > Naim Ariva

DerMatze

Hi, i have a problem with Movie and Music Playback thru Gizmo.

After i tab on a Moviefile, Gizmo saying "Preparing..." and after a few seconds, no movie is playing but Movie List is shown again...

On the Music side, Preparing... is shown, but no playback at all.

Mobilephone and DLNA server ar in the same Subnet, no Firewall is in between. Windows Firewall and Packetfilter is off.

Im Using Android 4.4.2 on a Sony Xperia Z1.

JimH

• Administrator

What is the version of MC that you're using?

DerMatze

Im using Media Center 19.0.128

audiovue

I have a galaxy note pro 12.2 and gizmo does not work.

It works with tab 8.4, my galaxy s3. .. but not my tablet.

Why?

I know the chipsets on the 12.2 are not the same as the 8.4.

Dougr33

• Recent member

Hello. Are there any plans to update the interface a little? I see a ton of features are added and streaming/movie type bugs are fixed, but I'm "just" using this as a remote control for my music system. Biggest wishes: allow me to shrink font size in song listings for albums (okay on tablet, way too big on Nexus 5), AND allow me to long-hold the volume up/down buttons to go forward/back thru songs like other Android music apps allow.  Thanks!

timwtheov

• Galactic Citizen

Wanted to thrown in my issue here too with regard to some folks' recent problems with Gizmo and Samsung devices: can't get Gizmo to work on my Galaxy S3 any longer.  I don't know if it was after the 4.4.2 (?) update this summer, or after I rooted the phone after that OS update, but I get hangs when I try to play music (just says "Preparing" and then nothing happens for hours--literally: I let it go for awhile once).  It connects to MC fine, and as I intimated above, it used to work perfectly both at home on the WiFi and out of the house on 3/4G.  Now it hangs wherever I am.  I'm using the most recent version of MC19 (19.0.163), and I haven't changed any settings in MC from when it used to work.  It's not a huge deal since I usually play local files in my car or at the gym when I'm out, but still, I'd like it work like it used to because I do use it occasionally.  Also, for what it's worth, I stream constantly with a client MC on a laptop and with a WD TV Live and have no issues with these.  Any ideas?

Thanks!

dminches

• Recent member

I cannot get Gizmo to work on my Samsung Tab S. I have manually entered the ip addresses. When I click on one it sends me back to the screen to enter  the 6 character code. I can't do anything to attach to the server.

unloco

• Recent member

Hi everybody,

I am not sure, if this is the right place for my question.
If not, please move it to the correct board.

First of all let me thank you for inventing GIZMO.
It works great for controlling my music and videos in the living room.
It also works great for streaming music to other rooms on PCs but there is a problem playing videos on my SAMSUNG GALAXY NOTE 10.1 (2014)

I can play Music on the SAMSUNG but if I start video, it says "preparing", then starts the video, plays 1-2 seconds und then returns to the list of videos.
On the serverside I tried some vodeo-converting modes, but they didn't work either.

Is this a known issue?
Are there any hints to solve the problem?

Thank you all in advance.

BTW. Video works fine on my phone HUAWEI ASCEND P6, but the screen is so small ;-)

Best regards
Peter
(Germany)

Server:
Win 7 prof / JRiver 18.0.212

TABLET: SAMSUNG Galaxy Note 3 / 10.1 (2014) Model SMP 600
Android 4.4.2

LOCAL LAN: About 130 MBit/S

Ramona60

• Recent member

TABLET: SAMSUNG Galaxy Note 3 / 10.1 (2014) Model SMP 600
Android 4.4.2

LOCAL LAN: About 130 MBit/S

Hallo Peter,

.. habe den Vorgänger GT 8010 10.1 - geht ohne Probleme. In Gizmo selbst kannst Du nur den HTM-Livestream konfigurieren. In MC - ich benutze MC 20)
habe ich mal Veränderungen in den Optionen (Media Network - Advanced - Client Options - Video Conversion) vorgenommen - die scheinen sich nicht auszuwirken.

Bliebe die Konfiguration der/des DLNA-Server(s). Unter Video habe ich eingestellt Specified output format only when necessary und  MPEG2/DVD NTSC stream. Das funktioniert sowohlmit dem Tbalet als auch mit meinem Sony Bravia.

Meine General Video Settings auf der Grundebene der Optionen:
Red October HQ - alles ander entspricht den Grundeinstellungen, da habe ich nie Änderungen vornehmen müssen.

Gruß Ramona

JimH

• Administrator

This will probably work in MC20.

Hendrik

• Administrator

Streaming to some newer Android devices requires MC19 or newer to function properly, I'm afraid.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

unloco

• Recent member

...ich benutze MC 20...

Na da werde ich wohl updaten dürfen.
Danke & Gruss
Peter

unloco

• Recent member

This will probably work in MC20.

Hi Jim,

is there an update-price from MC 18 available?

Best regards
Peter

Hendrik

• Administrator

is there an update-price from MC 18 available?

Enter your MC18 registration code here:
http://jriver.com/purchase_20_as_upgrade.html

The upgrade price is $26.98

More details here:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Upgrade_to_MC20
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

GreggP

• Galactic Citizen
Re:
« Reply #341 on: February 24, 2015, 08:05:43 pm »

I've tried streaming videos with MC19 and I have the same problem described here. What specific improvements are there in MC20 that get it to work?

JimH

• Administrator

The trial would be the best way to find out.

mschneid

• World Citizen

Is there any place where you can load Gizmo 1 .... I upgraded an old galaxy tab to gizmo 2 and the new app won't run on the old tablet....    I would be happy just to stream music and control the server with gizmo 1

gizmo 2 works great for streaming video to a newer tablet....

Thanks
Mark

Hendrik

• Administrator

The only version available is the one on the google Play Store. It runs on any Android device with at least Android 2.2 (ie. from the dark ages).
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

tonyc1971

I use Gizmo on my android box for streaming from my media pc and it works brill!

The only nag i have is when i drop my latest tv in to jriver and it updates the info on gizmo it doesn't show the episode number just the name so it can be hard to choose the latest ?

Could you get it to add ep number on the list ?

Cheers

T
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 [7]   Go Up