INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Media Center to Airplay devices -- works, but not pretty  (Read 4678 times)

jantypas

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
Media Center to Airplay devices -- works, but not pretty
« on: December 04, 2010, 05:49:38 pm »

As the subject says, I now have Media Center 15 streaming to Airplay devices.   It works, albeit it will cost you about $80, and it's not exactly elegant.... 

You will need:

1. Your favorite JRiver media program
2. A copy of Rogue Amoeba's Airfoil for windows ($30)
3. A copy NTONYX's Virtual Audio Cable v4. ($50)

You can get along without the VAC, but it works better if you have it.

What we need to do:

1. If you purchased VAC, create one virtual audio card for every "zone" you'll want in MC.  If you don't have VAC, you only have one zone.
2. Start Airfoil and tell it to to airplay the virtual audio card for the zone you want.  I have not convinced it to handle multiple VACs, but Rogue Amoeba says this can be done through the SDK.
3. Start MC, and create a zone of your choice, and bind it to the virtual audio card you created in step 1

It's not pretty, but it does work -- now you can stream MC content to any Airport express, Apple TV, etc.   Rogue Amoeba events makes an Airplay client for your iPod/iPhone/iPad.

What we really want:

The ability to have MC and Airfoil work wiht multiple zones in the background under SDK control.

H4CK3R

• Recent member
Re: Media Center to Airplay devices -- works, but not pretty
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2011, 12:32:20 am »

New here, and building my first touch screen Jukebox, have a fairly large house, and was looking / hoping for something like this.  Every amp in my house has a apple TV and PS3 hooked to it, was hoping I could at least stream the audio from the JRiver to Apple TV for when I am throwing parties, is this the only solution?

Charles

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2011, 06:56:16 am »

New here, and building my first touch screen Jukebox, have a fairly large house, and was looking / hoping for something like this.  Every amp in my house has a apple TV and PS3 hooked to it, was hoping I could at least stream the audio from the JRiver to Apple TV for when I am throwing parties, is this the only solution?
You can stream directly to the PS3.  You don't need the Airplay. I think there is an article on our Wiki.

H4CK3R

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2011, 10:42:53 am »

I knew I can stream to the PS3, but what I want to be able to do, if I am having a party is sync all the audio ( Music ) to each room in the house.

Sheugel

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2011, 03:29:00 pm »

Thanks jantypas, nice integration! It helped me a lot.

You will need:
3. A copy NTONYX's Virtual Audio Cable v4. ($50)

You can also use (freely!) the unused peripherals of your PC sound card. My standard Realtek card has three outputs (analog, digital, digital optical). Then use one of these free outputs for the Airplay zone (Playback Options-->Output mode settings) and Airfoil.
It might be useful for those afraid of the investment for such feature.

Sheugel

rolinger

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2011, 01:36:24 pm »

Hello, I am having trouble getting this to work.

1. If you purchased VAC, create one virtual audio card for every "zone" you'll want in MC.  If you don't have VAC, you only have one zone.

I don't have VAC

2. Start Airfoil and tell it to to airplay the virtual audio card for the zone you want.  I have not convinced it to handle multiple VACs, but Rogue Amoeba says this can be done through the SDK

I have started Airfoil and currently it is Hijacking MC15 and through Airfoil I can send/sync audio to different zones including my Airport Express.

3. Start MC, and create a zone of your choice, and bind it to the virtual audio card you created in step 1

Within MC I created a new zone but haven't found a way of binding it to anything, let alone the a VAC (that I don't have). 

What am I missing or not understanding?

Essentially, how do I get MC15 to stream to an Airport Express within MC15 - Airfoil hijacking MC15 loses a lot of control.  Once Airfoil hijacks MC15 any song I try to play to different zones within MC15 gets sent to all zones via Airfoil.

Pages: [1]   Go Up