INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Adding fields to the CD Info dialog during a CD Rip  (Read 956 times)

swinster

• World Citizen
Adding fields to the CD Info dialog during a CD Rip
« on: December 05, 2010, 09:18:10 am »

Hi All,

Is it possible to add fields/tags to the CD Info dialog box that can be shown during a rip? Although I see the columns for track name, track number, and artist (if the tick box is selected), I would like to be able to add other information to specific filed at the time of ripping. It would be great if you could add new columns into the dialog box by right clicking in the same way that you can add/remove columns to any given view.

I do realise that you could go to the Recently Ripped playlist after the ripping process and update the tags, but I feel that it would be more beneficial to be able to do this at a moment of ripping.

Cheers

MrC

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Your life is short. Give me your money.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

Listener

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Adding fields to the CD Info dialog during a CD Rip
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2010, 01:39:38 pm »

Is it possible to add fields/tags to the CD Info dialog box that can be shown during a rip? Although I see the columns for track name, track number, and artist (if the tick box is selected), I would like to be able to add other information to specific filed at the time of ripping. It would be great if you could add new columns into the dialog box by right clicking in the same way that you can add/remove columns to any given view.

I believe that pop up dialog you mentioned is for submitting tag information to the JRiver online tag database.  You don't have to use that dialog to enter tag values for your own use.

You can enter tag values in the list of tracks (with column headings like Track #, Artist, Album, etc.)  You can add columns by right clicking on a column heading and clicking on a field name to add it as a column.  You can change the order of columns by dragging a column heading to the left or right.

You can also edit tag values in the small Tag window on the lower left part of the MC window.  If this window is not visible when you are ready to enter tag values, use the Edit/Tag command to make it visible.  When you begin ripping a CD, this window will be minimized and a rip progress window will be displayed in the same area.  The Tag window will come back when you finish ripping a CD and close the Rip progress window.  You can choose which tags are visible in the Tag window using the "Tools" dropdown control on the left side of the tab window header.

The track list area is convenient for entering values for single tags.  For example, you could click on the (Track) name field for a track and enter or edit that track name.  Then you might press the down arrow key to move to the Track name field for the next track.

The Tag window is useful for entering tag values for a number of tracks at once.  Whatever you changes type for a tag in the Tag window are applied to all the tracks that are selected in the track list.  If no tracks are selected, changes apply to all the tracks listed.  In the Tag window, you move from one field to the next by pressing the Tab key.

There are several galleries of screenshots showing how I set up MC for a mostly classical music collection at http://naturelover.smugmug.com/Other.  One gallery contains a series of screenshots showing step-by-step actions for ripping a series of CDs.  I captured these screenshots to help someone who had trouble with the basic ripping process.  You may not need to follow the same steps but you might appreciate the screenshots showing the Tag window.

I do realise that you could go to the Recently Ripped playlist after the ripping process and update the tags, but I feel that it would be more beneficial to be able to do this at a moment of ripping.

MC uses rules you can modify to create folder and file names for the ripped files.  Those rules use the tag values from the MC online tag database and your changes to build the names.  If you want to be sure that your files are properly named and placed on your hard drive, you need to pay some attention to tag values before you start ripping each CD.

I prefer to get all the tag entry/editing done before I start the ripping process.

Bill

Pages: [1]   Go Up