INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: EAC tags not recognised ?  (Read 1866 times)

Madien

• Recent member
EAC tags not recognised ?
« on: December 11, 2010, 11:32:30 am »

Hello !
I have decided to let iTunes go for ripping. I now use EAC. I have ripped 3 albums in Wave format. All the albums ripped with iTunes have their tags and coverarts recognised automatically with JRiver.

All 3 albums ripped with EAC are merged in one album with the coverart of the one of the 3 albums.

Did I miss something ?

Many thanks for your help

Best regards
Madien

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: EAC tags not recognised ?
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2010, 11:37:02 am »

Why not use MC to rip?

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2010, 11:46:35 am »

You should be able to rip using EAC and have MC recognize all the tags, so something is set up wrong.  EAC can be challenging and confusing to get set up properly.  Unfortunately, I don't really understand what is happening to you, so it is difficult to help.  Can you explain in more detail exactly what you are doing and what isn't working correctly?  What format are you trying to rip to?  What settings are you using?  Etc...

On the other hand, Jim does have a very good point.  Why not just use MC to rip your discs?  It has a secure mode and for just about all purposes is equal in quality and capabilities to EAC, and it is MUCH easier to get set up properly.  I generally only pull out EAC if MC can't find the CD data in it's database (which is pretty rare anymore).
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2010, 05:04:53 pm »

I now use EAC. I have ripped 3 albums in Wave format.

EAC cannot tag wave files. MC can do it, but Wave (and AIFF) tag writing is disabled by default because support for tags in uncompressed formats is not very common. You can enable it in Tools > Plug-in Manager > Input > WAVE & AIFF Plugin > Configure > Write tags...

All the albums ripped with iTunes have their tags and coverarts recognised automatically with JRiver.

Also iTunes does not tag wave files, but perhaps you used the AIFF format. iTunes can tag AIFF files and MC can read those tags.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2010, 05:11:15 pm »

I generally only pull out EAC if MC can't find the CD data in it's database (which is pretty rare anymore).

Since MC can now use YADB and freedb, MC is actually better than EAC (which uses only freedb). freedb support was added a few months ago.

From the change log:
15.0.80 (7/22/2010)

1. NEW: FreeDB support. When a CD is not found at YADB, we now attempt to look it up at FreeDB.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2010, 06:46:12 pm »

That's right!  I forgot about that.  Even before, that was a rare occurrence anyway, but good point.  Also good catch about the Wav format.  I didn't read the initial post well enough...
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

Madien

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2010, 02:31:36 am »

Hello
First thank you to all of you for your help !

EAC has the reputation to be the best for bit perfect ripping; that's why I wanted to use it.
I also chose to rip in WAVE format, uncompressed is better. I forgot about the difficulty to tag WAVE files.

I realise that JRiver can rip and tag WAVE files; JRiver is obsolutely the best player I have ever had. but for ripping, I am not sure it can beat EAC, particularly with old and damaged CDs.
I don't know what to do now: ripping in FLAC to have tags with EAC; or ripping in WAVE with tags on JRiver ...

Madien

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2010, 07:02:30 am »

EAC has the reputation to be the best for bit perfect ripping; that's why I wanted to use it.
I also chose to rip in WAVE format, uncompressed is better. I forgot about the difficulty to tag WAVE files.
Neither of those are accurate statements.
I realise that JRiver can rip and tag WAVE files; JRiver is obsolutely the best player I have ever had. but for ripping, I am not sure it can beat EAC, particularly with old and damaged CDs.
They should both behave about the same.  If the disc is readable in multiple passes, either EAC or MC should be able to rip it.  Neither has an advantage.
I don't know what to do now: ripping in FLAC to have tags with EAC; or ripping in WAVE with tags on JRiver ...
Either FLAC or APE would work well.  Any lossless format is equivalent to any other.  You can always convert to another or to WAV if you change your mind later.  Nothing will be lost.  Nothing.
Pages: [1]   Go Up