INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Audio File Duplication In Library  (Read 1635 times)

nwboater

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Audio File Duplication In Library
« on: December 12, 2010, 04:06:44 pm »

We have all media stored on a WHS machine and played back on a Client PC. Somehow all audio tracks are shown twice: Once as D:Shares\music\trackname. Then again as \\mellserver\music\trackname. This is on both the server library and Client Library. (I do have things setup to automatically sync changes.) And it's only on Audio, not Images or Video.

Now some of our music I may like to listen to twice in a row, but not everything!

Anybody have an idea what caused this and how I can prevent it from happening to new library additions?

Any idea how I can clean up this mess, after stopping the original cause of it? Hopefully there is a way other than manually deleting every other track.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Rod

nwboater

• MC Beta Team
Re: Audio File Duplication In Library
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2010, 08:10:49 am »

Would sure appreciate some help with this.

Should I just delete my old library and build a new one? But if I do what's to prevent this from happening again?

Do I have something wrong in Settings that could have caused it.

Help please - we need to get our library usable again.

Thanks very much.

Rod

lise

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2010, 01:32:00 pm »

Here's what I would do.
I would pick one of the duplicates and remove one of them from the library (I would keep the \\mellserver\music\trackname and remove the other). Just remove from library though--don't delete.  Then select the remaining one and play it to ensure it does indeed play. If all works, then I would search for D:Shares\music and delete them all from the library (not from the computer).

Backup the database first.
A wise man once said don't count your years, but make your years count. Or was it beers?

nwboater

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2010, 02:36:00 pm »

Here's what I would do.
I would pick one of the duplicates and remove one of them from the library (I would keep the \\mellserver\music\trackname and remove the other). Just remove from library though--don't delete.  Then select the remaining one and play it to ensure it does indeed play. If all works, then I would search for D:Shares\music and delete them all from the library (not from the computer).

Backup the database first.

lise - Thanks very much for your suggested fix. It makes sense and I will do it.

I'm still struggling trying to figure out what could have caused it. And why it's just with Audio files?

So thanks again.

Rod

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2010, 02:39:22 pm »

lise - Thanks very much for your suggested fix. It makes sense and I will do it.

I'm still struggling trying to figure out what could have caused it. And why it's just with Audio files?

So thanks again.

Rod
You might double check your settings for auto import.

nwboater

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2010, 02:57:09 pm »

You might double check your settings for auto import.

Thanks Jim -  Run Auto Import In Background is checked but when I go to Configure there is nothing shown in the box. That's on the Client.

On the server Auto Import In Background is also checked. And in the Configure box it has D:\Shares\Music, D:\Shares\Images and D:\Shares\Videos.

I'm now a little confused where the Auto Import should be configured. I think on the Server but not sure. And my inclination is like lise's that I should put in Configure '\\mellserver\music', not 'D:\shares\music. Correct?

Rod

lise

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2010, 03:13:25 pm »

From what I've read in the forum (I don't use Server/Client) it is important to only have 'run auto-import in background' on just one computer, and yeah, my guess is that it would be the server. I run it on my stand-alone machine and I set the path via the Network (I browse to Network > computer name> drive>Music) to get the \\ format rather than the mapped M:Music for example. I'm fairly certain I do this because at one point I also had duplicates all over the place the way you do.
A wise man once said don't count your years, but make your years count. Or was it beers?

nwboater

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2010, 07:33:16 pm »

From what I've read in the forum (I don't use Server/Client) it is important to only have 'run auto-import in background' on just one computer, and yeah, my guess is that it would be the server. I run it on my stand-alone machine and I set the path via the Network (I browse to Network > computer name> drive>Music) to get the \\ format rather than the mapped M:Music for example. I'm fairly certain I do this because at one point I also had duplicates all over the place the way you do.

lise - Thanks again for your suggestion. And again it makes sense. Interesting that you recall having a bunch of duplicates. Wonder how many others have had this problem.

I have just started a new thread that I am hoping will get more attention than this. It deals with settings and usage in a Client/server arrangement.

Thanks again for all your help here.

Rod
Pages: [1]   Go Up