INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is this program moving or changing files on my hard-drive?  (Read 2159 times)

ls35a

Is this program moving or changing files on my hard-drive?
« on: December 17, 2010, 03:56:11 pm »

I've ripped 600 cd's and have them in a \music folder on my drive just the way I want them.

I installed JRiver today and was playing some track and an error message popped up: 'Encountered error while moving and tagging files'.

MOVING FILES??

I'm new to this media-player stuff, I just use my streamer to play music in my main hi-fi system.   My PC is just a server.

PLEASE TELL ME that this JRiver program is NOT MOVING OR CHANGING MY FILES. 

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Is this program moving or changing files on my hard-drive?
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2010, 04:06:08 pm »

If Auto-Import is configured to get missing cover art or analyze audio, the program may update tags.

This is configurable in Options > Library & Folders...

You can disable certain auto-import tasks, or disable auto-import, or even disable the ability of the program to write tags all together in Options > General > Update tags when file info changes.  We recommend the default settings, but try to expose complete flexibility.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

ls35a

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2010, 04:11:44 pm »

If Auto-Import is configured to get missing cover art or analyze audio, the program may update tags.

This is configurable in Options > Library & Folders...

You can disable certain auto-import tasks, or disable auto-import, or even disable the ability of the program to write tags all together in Options > General > Update tags when file info changes.  We recommend the default settings, but try to expose complete flexibility.

Thanks for the reply.

So yes, a default install of J-river might take it upon itself to update my tags (metadata).  This is true?   

But no (and you didn't answer this) but this program will NOT MOVE PHYSICAL FILES, right?    That last one is a real deal-breaker for me.   My programs do not move my data around.  This error message about 'ran into a problem while moving files' is alarming.   I haven't spent a hundred hours setting up my library the way I want to have it changed. 

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2010, 04:19:54 pm »

It isn't moving your files.  Yes, it may update the tag, but not the metadata you've entered. 

If you're concerned, set up a test library with a few files.  But you don't need to worry.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2010, 06:39:18 pm »

To confirm, it absolutely won't move files unless you take an explicit action.  It does save tags to the files themselves, unless you turn it off as explained by Matt, which involves (of course) modifying the files on disk.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

BumbleDawg

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2010, 05:28:46 am »

It isn't moving your files.  Yes, it may update the tag, but not the metadata you've entered.  
Apologies for hijacking the thread, but I figured my query didn't really warrant a thread of its own, but is there a way to disable MC15 auto-tagging (while saving new tags, or updating) my media files with the fields Tool: Media Center 15 and the corresponding version number?

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2010, 02:06:19 pm »

I know you don't what MC to move your files but it does a great job of this IMHO!  I rip to a temp location then select these new files then have MC organise it on the disc (see screen shot).  I've also done it on my entire library to get it all sorted out based on my preferred meta data.
Thanks
Nathan

Edit: On downside is that MC just moves the selected tracks but leaves behind any of the other files (like Windows Thumbs) etc so you can end up with a lot of useless directories with left over crap in them scattered around.
JRiver CEO Elect
Pages: [1]   Go Up