Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Roku  (Read 4843 times)

DarkPenguin

• Citizen of the Universe
Roku
« on: December 26, 2010, 02:07:28 pm »

I can't help but note that MC is finding my Roku and identifying it as a DLNA device.  Doesn't work.  Is there a j.river (or other app) in the roku channel store I need to run?  Or is this just an error? 

roognation

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Resistance is /dev/null
Re: Roku
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2011, 02:08:33 pm »

I would like to use this Roku HD as an audio zone with MC15; the price is excellent http://shop.roku.com/Roku-Streaming-Player-Options-W5.aspx (only $ 60!) and just need to make sure it is controllable, etc. via MC15 via Webremote or whatever.

Basically, I want to run a server PC with MC15 and have disparate MC15 "audio zones" controllable by either iPad or Android devices (distributed audio for my house).

Suggestions are welcome!
==
roognation
human electrode

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2011, 02:20:22 pm »

roognation

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2011, 01:49:07 am »

Thanks, Jim.

Any suggestions for cheap way to render audio out to a distributed audio zone?  I would like Gizmo (on my Android devices) to control MC15 and thus the remote zone (planning to run MC15 on a server-type computer in the office and have remote zones all over the house).

Maybe point me a few threads on the right subject?

Thanks again!

[EDIT]
OK, so for those of your out of the loop (like I was) JRiver has been working on their own hardware solution for the above problem.  Still a bit pricey, but maybe after a few production runs, they will start seeing some economies of scale.  See here:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/J._River_Id
==
roognation
human electrode

horse

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2011, 11:54:48 pm »

Have you looked at the WD TV Live? I got a Plus version for $99 and it is pretty slick for the price.
With the latest MC15 it will work as a renderer and I use an iPad with WebRemote and have it as an Audio and Video Zone in the garage.
Apart from an issue with tagged WAV files which is not very common (except for me!) it just works and also supports cheap USB wireless adaptors if you don't want HD Video or to run cables. Has analogue and optical audio outputs as well as various Video including HDMI

roognation

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2011, 07:40:28 pm »

Thanks!  I have seen the WD TV around, but not actually played with one.  I have been playing with Gizmo + MC15 + Squeezebox Server + WhiteBear + Squeezebox 2 with limited results.  Whitebear needs some additional polish, and MC15 does not seem to like anyone fiddling with the local controls (probably just the way the DLNA sync works).  I have had the player just stop at the end of a song for no reason.  Gizmo is pretty cool, I am happy with that; I do seem to have connection issues, but I think those are WiFi related.  MC15 seems to freeze or generally get stuck when something happens to the SqueezeBox 2 (haven't debugged further).

I did some additional research and found that Ubicom is getting further in to the mix with this
http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20110106PR202.html
I wonder if that is something that fell out of the JRiver device...

Anyhoo, I will probably start down the WD TV path and buy from a reputable firm that allows returns (I had the SqueezeBox 2 laying around, love the display and the optical output).  Roku stopped making those cool SoundBridge devices; I have heard that is a great way to go as well, but not as cheap.

If I can get this MC15/Gizmo/HardwareRenderer to be robust, then I will start using this professionally!  Can't wait for that...or do I wait for Apple's AirPlay?
==
roognation
human electrode

gigglez

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2011, 11:15:58 am »

I know the roku says it doesn't support dnla but then how come media center shows it? It is an option to stream too I just can't hear anything.

Rob L

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2011, 11:54:17 am »

hm, depends hugely which roku you're talking about. the roku soundbridge (audio only) is UPnP and works great with MC.
Pages: [1]   Go Up