INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC15, WebRemote and WinXP  (Read 1651 times)

SanFranShootr

• Recent member
MC15, WebRemote and WinXP
« on: December 27, 2010, 04:43:28 pm »

Does WinXP need to have Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 installed in order for WebRemote to work?

I got the 31-day-trial MC15 WebRemote to work on a Vista laptop (with the 60Gb HD) and my iPad, and was so delighted I then bought MC15 and installed it on my XP media server with the terrabytes of FLAC files.

BUT... I can't get WebRemote to come up on the iPad/XP combination -

the XP and the Vista are on the same network/router and I believe I've got my ZoneAlarm Firewall and permissions set the same on both Vista and XP computers. (i.e. port forwarding on Router for 52199, inbound/outbound TCP on for 52199 in ZoneAlarm)

Does the XP need special audio fairy dust sprinkled on it to make it work?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: MC15, WebRemote and WinXP
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2010, 06:51:41 pm »

XP should work fine.  Investigate your firewalls, security software, and routing.

It might help to try visiting the server in a web browser on the server itself.  Then visit it on a machine on the LAN.  Then try the WAN.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

SanFranShootr

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2010, 01:08:52 pm »

XP should work fine.  Investigate your firewalls, security software, and routing.

It might help to try visiting the server in a web browser on the server itself.  Then visit it on a machine on the LAN.  Then try the WAN.

I can see the screen (192.168.1.xxx:52199/WebRemote) on the XP machine itself, but not on a laptop or iPad that's connected to the same network/router.
Conversely, when I powerup MC15 on the laptop I can see its 52199/WebRemote on both the XP and the iPad. I've checked all the usual suspects on the XP but can't figure out what hidden little demon is blocking 52199 on the XP.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2010, 04:35:54 pm »

SanFranShootr

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2010, 11:23:55 am »

Did you find this article?
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Network_Access

Yep, I've tried just about everything. I think it's "gremlins-in-the-XP".  I loaded MC15 onto another seldom-used Vista computer and WebRemote worked fine. So the only computer in this house that WebRemote won't work with is my main and only MediaServer (the XP).  I may have to see whether Windows7 will install and work with this 8-year-old motherboard/CPU/IDE HDs system - I suspect some "quirks" got into the XP software because other minorly inconvenient issues have occurred - such as I can't run MSCONFIG.

BTW even netstat says that Port 52199 is listening.

Update: maybe I'm jinxed! Tried to install Win7 and the installer says "we can't find any drivers for your DVD - please insert disc with the DVD drivers into the same DVD drive that is currently reading the Win7 install disc" -- well, maybe I'm paraphrasing a bit, but Win7 refused to continue with the install until I supplied drivers that it was satisfied with!!

Pages: [1]   Go Up