INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Have 2 versions, want 15.0.171 to be default player  (Read 954 times)

rhowland

• Recent member
Have 2 versions, want 15.0.171 to be default player
« on: January 01, 2011, 05:49:08 pm »

This is probably an OS issue, but what the heck.
I'm a registered version 12 user, but I'm kicking the tires on version 15.0.171. When I try and associate files with Media Center it appears that there is no way have the operating system to know to open files with the newly installed version. If I double-click a file, it still opens up my version 12 program. What's weird is if I try and re-associate files with a program, that I see "Media Center JRiver, Inc" listed twice along with Real Player, Windows Media player etc. but if I assign either of the two MC references to be the default program, version 12 is still the program that opens my music files.
Any ideas? (Whoops almost forgot, yes VISTA is my junky OS!)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Have 2 versions, want 15.0.171 to be default player
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2011, 06:12:53 pm »

This is probably an OS issue, but what the heck.
I'm a registered version 12 user, but I'm kicking the tires on version 15.0.171. When I try and associate files with Media Center it appears that there is no way have the operating system to know to open files with the newly installed version. If I double-click a file, it still opens up my version 12 program. What's weird is if I try and re-associate files with a program, that I see "Media Center JRiver, Inc" listed twice along with Real Player, Windows Media player etc. but if I assign either of the two MC references to be the default program, version 12 is still the program that opens my music files.
Any ideas? (Whoops almost forgot, yes VISTA is my junky OS!)

You might try reading about "file associations" for Windows.  In a nutshell, you can set them in many apps, and they can conflict, as you've seen.  The solution is to remove them from MC12 and add them in MC15.  Tools/Options/File Types in MC15.  It may be a little different location in MC12.

rhowland

• Recent member
Re: Have 2 versions, want 15.0.171 to be default player
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2011, 06:45:59 pm »

When I deselected all audio files them from MC12 and then confirmed that they were there in MC15, then closed both programs and double-clicked an mp3 it still opened up MC12. HOWEVER, I temporarily changed the MP3 associations to Windows Media, double-clicked and it opened up in Windows Media. Then I changed the association back to MC to worked! Now opens in MC15! Thank you very much.
Pages: [1]   Go Up