INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Library server connection problem.  (Read 1856 times)

robbbby

• Recent member
Library server connection problem.
« on: January 01, 2011, 11:06:45 pm »

I am having a heck of a time getting library server to work at all with MC15.

On the server end I have the library server box checked to share my library.
I have port forwarding on my router set for the library server port for both tcp and udp.

On the client end when I try and connect to the sever I just get errors.

I've tried connecting via the passkey that you get on the server end, tried putting server ip:port and even just tried searching.  Nothing is letting me connect, I just get "error loading library, media center failed to load the library 'connected library' and will attempt to load the previously selected library.

what am i doing wrong?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Library server connection problem.
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2011, 07:41:37 am »

Make sure to get the latest build from the top of the MC15 board.

This article may help:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Network_Access

You don't need port forwarding set unless you are attempting access from outside your network.

robbbby

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2011, 08:50:25 am »

i'm already running 171.

I also don't think network access is an issue.
If I just do regular file > open media file, I can browse to my servers mapped network drive and play music that way.

Also while on the subject, what is the benefit of running library server as opposed to setting up a library via files on a mapped network drive (MC only on the one computer doing the playback).

robbbby

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2011, 10:32:52 am »

Issue resolved, media center wasn't checked in the servers firewall, should have double checked it.

However i'd still like to know the benefits of library server versus creating a library using media on a mapped network drive.

Thanks.

chirpp

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2011, 09:42:39 pm »

Hi robbbby! I'll try to explain what I use it for and maybe that will help.
For me, I have 1 main "server" running as library server. On that server it's library has all of my video, audio and photo collections. Along with that I have my playlists, smartlists, etc. Limited amount, I admit, but I have some. Or me it is nice while at home to know that 1 machine has all tags correct and how I want them, and has my "master" playlists. Connecting via library clients gives me that on any other machine then. It also saves changes, so if I created a new playlist on a client, it places it back on the server, for other machines to have access to later.

Now someone may call me a gumby as I am not sure this is a library server function or not, but a huge thing for me is using it remotely.  I listen to my library while at work and to me that just rocks. My lists are all there, my collection is there, and at times I have even pulled up some pictures from my library to show co-workers. Pretty cool really.

So there's my 2 cents....
Pages: [1]   Go Up