INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC15 & NAS questions and any advice?  (Read 9082 times)

Gzydeck

• Recent member
  • Change this by choosing profile
MC15 & NAS questions and any advice?
« on: January 05, 2011, 01:48:37 pm »

I'm a long time user of MC.

I have about 7K songs, and recently went through and retagged and organized them all. Master copy is WAV, but will use MP3 or flac to share accross network.

My new laptop has HDMI out, so I am running through my reciever to plasma with theater view. I never really realized how good and feature rich the MC product is until now.

So now I've got the bug and am thinking of adding a NAS.

Total of 4 PC's in the house. Would like all to share the same files and library.

My thought so far is to add a NAS and copy all media to it. Configure on library then place it on the NAS as well. My goal is to have all four PC's seeing all files, playlists, etc.

Is the right way to go? I know network performance varies, but anyone have any problem with speed? Does it take longer for MC15 to open with a library shared on the NAS? Once I get this going, I will add 6K photos as well. Is there a long lag for thumbnails to open?

I'm hoping to set this up so that it will be easy and enjoyable for me wife and kids to use.

And last but not least, anyone have a recommendation on a home NAS.  Will a something like a Western Digital Mybook World suffice. Or do I need something more?

Thanks for any advice or suggestions anyone can provide.

kewe65

• World Citizen
Re: MC15 & NAS questions and any advice?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2011, 03:35:15 pm »

Absolutely advisable to go that route.  I use a windows home server configured similarly.  All of the music is in both FLAC and MP3 format, but i stream wirelessly from WHS to router to multiple rooms the FLAC files with no issues whatsoever.  And this for me is a feat because i live in a row house built in the 1880s with original plaster and wood lathe walls so the signal has to go about 100 feet through three sets (6 surfaces) of this to get to the furthest device. (the ATT 2wire gateway appears to have a much more powerful antenna than any consumer wireless router i've come across)

I can see MC in PS3 with the Media Network without issue - this means the PS3 is going to the main PC where MC server is running, wired to the WHS, and then wireless back to the PS3.  (until a MC WHS add-in is developed that can circumvent the trip to the PC - this is a drag if you don't want MC running all the time)

I used to have a basic NAS device - HP MediaVault - which worked the same....

rpalmer68

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2011, 04:13:02 pm »

There are certainly no issues storing your library and files on a NAS.

The way I have mine setup is as follows;

Thecus N5500 NAS running RAID5 with my MC library, Audio, video and photos all stored on it.  I then have another NAS to backup the main NAS as my time to re-rip everything justifies it as far as I'm concerned :)

I map the X: drive on all my PCs to point to the Media area of my NAS.  You can use UNC's but I've found the odd bug/issue wth MC and UNCs in the past so have stuck to a mapped drives as this has never given me any issues.

I have one MC system running the Library server and this is also my main HTPC in my living room.

I then run MC as a Librasy server client on all my other PCs, and since they all have the X: drive mapped they actually play all their files directly from the NAS not via the server, but they get library updates etc from the server.

This has been working really well.  The only issue is that if you want to import files or work with cover art, you have to do it on the Library Server machine as this is the only one with driect write access to the library.

Richard

ProphetBeal

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2011, 04:14:07 pm »

I have about 10k music with another 1k movies on my NAS and there isn't any delay in MC opening.

I'm running a Thecus N4100Pro NAS RAID 5 with 4x 2TB drives.

Gzydeck

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2011, 06:10:10 pm »

Thanks for the replies. This is exactly the type of feedback I was looking for.

Richard, you said you use one PC as the library server. Do you have to do that? The reason I ask is that I assume if I use the library server, I will have to have MC open and that computer on at all times ?

If I put the library files on the NAS, wouldn't each PC simply open the same library?? I thought I read somewhere when I did a search here that the first one to open the library has read/write, and others who open later will have read only? Does this sound right?

One more thing...is everyone using RAID configuration? Or could I add a USB drive to a NAS to have secondary backup?

Also, can you Sync from a NAS drive back to a PC? The reason I ask is that I want to keep a full copy of my media on my laptop, as I like it to travel with me. My thought is that it would also serve as another back up copy.

Thanks again for the help.

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2011, 08:03:45 pm »

I'm using unRAID, which for me has been the best way to store my media with redundancy, safety, efficiency and expandability.

Vincent Kars

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2011, 04:25:02 am »

One more thing...is everyone using RAID configuration? Or could I add a USB drive to a NAS to have secondary backup?

RAID is storing your data redundantly.
If a HD fails you, you won't lose any data and you can continue to work.

Compared with user errors, HD failures rare.
What happens if you make an error, say deleting a couple of tracks.
Thank to RAID all your errors are carried out redundantly and no way to roll back.

RAID is about high availability, it is not a backup.

You must have a secondary backup

rpalmer68

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2011, 05:08:47 am »

Yes, my main HTPC runs 24/7 as it also controls lighting and other things around the house.

Yes you can have all the PC's access the Library directly and you can either use the command line switch to force them to be Read Only and have one that is read/write, or use the first in gets R/W access method.  All depends on if you want to control who gets R/W.

I like using the library server as the clients upodate as changes happen on the library (TV recordinsg beign added etc) withot having to cose MC or reload the library.  Also means when I chang a tag on a client it gets sync'd back to the server without me having toi think about i I have read-only access at the time.

On the RAID discussion I guess it's up to you, HDD failures happen and without RAID everything is down until you restore or rebuild.

I'd certainly make sure you backup your important media somewhere, especially photos.  I can't telll you how many people I know who have lost all their digital photos because they didnt back them up... and once they are gone, that's it!  CDrips etc you can redo (if you have the time) but not photos.

Richard

MrHaugen

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2011, 05:10:30 am »

NAS is a good solution, but unless you want to keep the PC with the MC server on at all times, it's not the best solution.

A better solution in my mind, would be to buy a cheap workstation with lots of internal HDD space. It don't have to have much juice at all The disks, and probably a decent raid controller is where you have to use the money. This is of course only a valid option if you have the money for it (probably cost twice of a NAS), and you have a place to put the PC, so it don't make heat or noise problems.

I would never go with a NAS my self. There is so many advantages I would miss out on. And some NAS is a royal pain to get working like you want it to. But then again, I work with this stuff daily, and have other uses for it as well...
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

dumpster

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2011, 08:57:11 am »

Are you saying that we can't run MC server on the NAS device to avoid having a PC running all the time?  I want my NAS to run the server instance and hold my media collection and use my PC as a controller, so I would be very disappointed if I can't do that.

Vincent Kars

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2011, 09:50:15 am »

What is a NAS?
Networked Attached Storage
But in practice it is often a Linux box and MC runs on Win only

dumpster

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2011, 10:48:20 am »

Good point - I'd need a NAS that can actually run MC to do what I want.

But since "often" doesn't mean "all", what specific, cheap, off-the-shelf NAS boxes are anyone aware of that have the appropriate operating system to run MC?  I'm aware that NAS boxes have different levels of computing power, but I'm also aware that I don't need a lot of CPU power to do what I want.

I don't have a NAS yet, and I want to do the same thing others have mentioned in previous posts in this thread - host my library and run MC server on a NAS so that I don't need my PC running all the time.  

Thanks for any suggestions.

rpalmer68

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2011, 02:21:53 pm »

A NAS box is basically a small Linux PC in a NAS case that supports multiple HDDs. If you want a "NAS" that runs MC, then you need to run a Windows PC or Server with multiple HDDs (with RAID if you want to) like MrHaugen is suggesting.

I looked at the windows server option, and in fact I used to have a server running in my cupboard but decided for my situation it was better to have a dedicated fast & reliable NAS box tucked away in a cupboard and a quiet PC, that I was going to have anyway in my living room, run the MC library server.  You need access to the MC server on a regular basis to update/reboot/import/rip etc, while my NAS has been running now for over a year and I haven't needed to touch it once.

I don't know of any off the shelf NAS boxes that run Windows, so if you want to go that way you'll need to build your own Windows NAS/Server I'd say.

Richard

Vincent Kars

« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2011, 02:39:09 pm »

A very simple solution is a headless desktop with a big HD.
You can control it with the Remote Desktop

You might have a look at e.g. HP MediaSmart server or any other box running WHS.

Another option is a Linux based NAS with a DLNA server.
You maintain the audio on your PC, sync to the NAS and other users play the content using MC + DLNA
I do think DLNA has a great potential but I have some doubts about the quality of today’s implementations.

dumpster

• Recent member
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2011, 02:56:05 pm »

Richard, you made an excellent point in that as long as my content is changing, and I need to regularly apply updates to MC, I'll need a PC to do those anyway, so running MC server on my PC is not a true constraint on how I set things up.  For now.

As I gradually switch over to greater use of cloud-based content that is rapidly expanding, at that point I'll prefer (as no doubt will others) a solution that involves just a central NAS/server box, distributed players and renderers, and my smartphone-based controller.  I see that world coming very soon (it's here already if you skip the need for MC), so the quicker MC can evolve into something that can work on the linux boxes that seem to have taken over the NAS and media box world, the better.  Vincent, I agree that today's DLNA solutions to do this are not polished, but they also seem to be improving rapidly.

Perhaps a silly thought, but I don't see why MC can't evolve into a cloud-based service.   Strikes me as more of a capital expenditure issue to create a robust data center and a business issue to create a viable business model of costs, revenues, and working capital than a technical one.  That doesn't mean I take such challenges lightly, but it would seem feasible at some point.

Gzydeck

• Recent member
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2011, 03:08:21 pm »

Great feedback so far. But I'm getting a little confused.

It is my understanding that you don't need to use/have the library server running.

If all media is on the NAS, and the library folder is on the NAS, any computer that opens MC will see and use the same library.

What is the advantage for those who really want to use the library server? Is it just so that one machine is the "master" PC, used to rip/tag/etc. R/W vs Read Only???

Again, just trying to set up a user friendly system so that whole family can share same data base. Tired of moving files around and syncing folders and drives.

rpalmer68

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2011, 03:22:33 pm »

You can have a central server/NAS box and distributed players now, just the central box will need to be a Windows based server not an off the shelf linux based NAS.

At times I think I'd like to be able to run the MC server on my NAS but then I'd have to get enough TV tuners to work off my NAS (which normally only have 1 USB port and no Pci slots) so it can do the TV recordings, and then I also think that a NAS is an important component serving up ALL my storage for the whole house, so do I really want to comprimise its stability by running a MC server on it?

So in the end I come back to where I am, one NAS doing what a NAS is designed to do and one HTPC that has 5 TV tuners in it and runs MC server doing what it's designed to do.

Of course if you don't want or need to run the MC library server then any NAS solution will work as all the clients will just access the library directly on the NAS.  (This will limit your clients to being PC's as they will all need to run MC as MC Library Server will be needed for DLNA devices to access the library.)

Richard

HTPC4ME

• LIFE IS A RADIO... CRANK IT UP TO 11!
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2011, 03:34:06 pm »

anyone here using more then 26 drives in there WHS?

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2011, 03:44:22 pm »

Here is my variation on the theme:
- MC Server Running on the "Main PC" that supports up to 6 SATA drives containing the Media
- WHS 5 Drive Box (just ordered another 5 Drive extender for it) that backs everthing up from all PC's at home
- HD Homerun twin TV Tuner that sits on the Network (eg you don't plug it into a PC but a Switch - Very Very highly recomended!)

I have 100% Backup, Quick Throughput, Plenty of CPU Horsepower to do any transcoding (for DLNA Streaming etc) as the media is on my main PC (i7 etc)...

All good (except I'm having issues rebuilding my DE on the WHS box at present...but that is another story)!
Nathan

PS - Don't buy a "cheap" NAS they have universally poor throughput.
JRiver CEO Elect

dumpster

• Recent member
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2011, 03:47:21 pm »

I think Gzydeck's question is extremely important.  My understanding is that if you have all your files on a NAS, and assuming the NAS can't run MC15,  then you must have a PC up and running as a Library Server or as a DLNA Server to get stuff from the NAS to either a PC or a DLNA renderer.  Is that correct, anyone?

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2011, 03:51:11 pm »

I think Gzydeck's question is extremely important.  My understanding is that if you have all your files on a NAS, and assuming the NAS can't run MC15,  then you must have a PC up and running as a Library Server or as a DLNA Server to get stuff from the NAS to either a PC or a DLNA renderer.  Is that correct, anyone?

Yes - The NAS will just be Disk that the MC server will serve content from.
JRiver CEO Elect

rpalmer68

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2011, 04:03:37 pm »

I think Gzydeck's question is extremely important.  My understanding is that if you have all your files on a NAS, and assuming the NAS can't run MC15,  then you must have a PC up and running as a Library Server or as a DLNA Server to get stuff from the NAS to either a PC or a DLNA renderer.  Is that correct, anyone?

Yes and no.

If all you want to do is have multiple PC's all running MC access a central Library and media, then you don't have to use the  library server (I ran this way for a long time).

BUT only one PC will have write access to the library.

R

rpalmer68

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2011, 04:07:56 pm »

PS - Don't buy a "cheap" NAS they have universally poor throughput.

Agreed, at least over here in OZ, the cheap ones are just that... cheap. They don't perform well especiall if being asked to serve up a lot a data to multiple PC's at the same time.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2011, 04:13:25 pm »

Yes and no.

If all you want to do is have multiple PC's all running MC access a central Library and media, then you don't have to use the  library server (I ran this way for a long time).

R

Agreed.  To an earlier point, the same can be acheived (depending on the # of disks you need) by just adding the HDDs to your "Main PC" and sharing them out.
JRiver CEO Elect

dumpster

• Recent member
« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2011, 04:15:27 pm »

Yes and no.

R

Now I'm confused.  Can you please clarify what setup you had that did not require any PC to be running any server and still be able to access files located in just once place and not synced at all, if I understood you correctly?  And please clarify which PC is the only one with write access.  Thanks for you patience in explaining things!

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2011, 04:22:39 pm »

There are three components to consider and they can all be on the same or different machines:
- MC: The app allows you to manage the library database and "play" the content.  You can also run it in the background as the MC Library Server
- MC Library Database:  This is where all the meta data is stored on you media.  The "Library" is normally on the same PC as MC but you can also put this on a "Share" and have multiple MC instances use it, however the first one to connect gets Read/Write access, the rest get Read Only.  Prior to using Library Server, this was my preferred approach.
- Media:  The actual media files can also be anywhere as ling as the MC Client can see them via either local disks, maps to network shares, or from the Library Server

So start with how many "Clients" you have and how the connect to your network.  You can then work out where it makes sense to keep your Media and how to serve it up

Thanks
Nathan
JRiver CEO Elect

dumpster

• Recent member
« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2011, 04:36:42 pm »

I get the basic concepts, and combining that with the specifics of how MC works, is the following summary correct to be as clear as possible?

- If one has all their files on a NAS, such that all PCs and devices access the NAS via a network, then at least one PC (the "host" PC) must be up and running as a DLNA server to get media from the NAS to DLNA renderers. Any PC that wants to be able to modify files on the NAS must be running Library server.  I don't need any MC server running if I just have PCs that just want to read files on the NAS.

- If one has their files located on a disc or discs attached locally to a PC (the "host" PC), then one does not need any server running as long as the host PC is always running, has established sharing on the files, and other PCs can access the shares, and as long as one only wants read access from other PCs.  Under this scenario, only the host PC can modify the content on the discs.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2011, 04:43:33 pm »

- if one has all their files on a NAS, such that all PCs and devices access the NAS via a network, then at least one PC must be up and running as either a DLNA or Library server (or both) to get media from the NAS to other PCs and DLNA renderers
Any MC cleint that can see the files can play them.  One (or more) of the MC clients could also be a DLNA/Library server and serve them to other MC or DLNA Client.  A common approach is to have one MC Library/DLNA Server running, all the MC Cleints connected using Library Server and "play local file if found" checked.  That way you get single managment of the Library yet all play the files directly from the server.  This is how I do it now.

- if one has their files located on a disc or discs attached locally to a PC, then one does not need any server running as long as the PC with the attached discs is always running, has established sharing on the files, and other PCs and devices can access the shares
There conencpt is no difference to the above senario as the attached discs can be made a network share (I use \\SERVER\Media1, I use \\SERVER\Media2 etc for each disc).  Others (eg Richard actually map each of the discs on each PC, so they are x:\Media1, y:\Media2) etc
JRiver CEO Elect

rpalmer68

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2011, 04:57:32 pm »

I guess the key points are;

If all your clients are PC's and are running MC, then you don't NEED to use the library server unless you want all the clienst to be able to update tags etc in the library.  The library/Media files can be stored on a NAS, one of the clients or in fact anywhere as long as all the cliets can access them when needed.

If on the other hand you have DLNA clients, want to access your library remotely via the internet or some clients don't have direct avccess to the library/media, then you will need to run MC library server somewhere.  Where the library/media is stored doesnt really matter as long as the library server can access it at the least and ideally as many clients can too. The library will then be "serverd" from the server and clients that can access the media directly still can, but those that can't will get it via the library server, either conveted to a supported format (for each specific client)  or in the native format they are stored in.

Like Nathan I'm using the 2nd of the above two options as it gives the best flexability and allows my library server to do my TV recordinsg etc that then ALL the clients can aaccess and in fact can even watch while still being recorded.

R

dumpster

• Recent member
« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2011, 05:21:30 pm »

I think I got it.  I just revised my Reply #26 to reflect your additional comments.  Thanks again.

Gzydeck

• Recent member
« Reply #30 on: January 06, 2011, 05:32:24 pm »

Agreed.  To an earlier point, the same can be acheived (depending on the # of disks you need) by just adding the HDDs to your "Main PC" and sharing them out.
I didn't consider this.

If I share one of my 1TB USB drives, it would essentially be the same as setting up a NAS.

That drive is on the computer in my home office, which is always on anyways (nightly backups).

So, if I set up a library and make the path a network share (to a local drive), I could then share that library folder on the local shared drive as well. Everyone would open the library on the shared drive, so we would all be seeng the latest updated files.

Sounds like that may be the most simple quick way to achieve what I would like to do.

Vincent Kars

« Reply #31 on: January 06, 2011, 05:56:34 pm »

I get the basic concepts, and combining that with the specifics of how MC works, is the following summary correct to be as clear as possible?
I don't think so.

Normally you have MC, the library and the data (audio files) on 1 computer.
You can move the data to a NAS or any PC in the network.
This won’t make a difference compared with an all local setup except you have to create a share on the ‘NAS’.

What happens if more than 1 PC access the share.
Each PC has its own library, each PC uses the same files on the share
Anytime any PC changes something ( e.g. a tag) this change will be stored in the local library but MC will also write the tag in the data.
It will probably lock the file when doing so.
Each PC can modify or delete the files.

Now you can make the share read only for all but yourself.
I expect MC to generate an error message each time a user changes something because MC expects write access.
This is in essence what happens when using file sharing.
Maybe if you put all other PC’s in party mode you won’t have this problems.

I never tried the MC server but I do expect it to work like any other client/server environment.

The serve contains the data and the library.
The clients don’t  access data and library directly but send commands to the server.
The server processes the request and modify library and data accordingly.

In this scenario all PC’s have access to the same library.
If you make a e.g. a playlist, it is available for all.
Again all probably have the right to modify.
If the server is implemented well this won’t generate access conflicts.

rpalmer68

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #32 on: January 06, 2011, 06:41:25 pm »

I don't think so.

Normally you have MC, the library and the data (audio files) on 1 computer.
You can move the data to a NAS or any PC in the network.
This won’t make a difference compared with an all local setup except you have to create a share on the ‘NAS’.

You can also put the library (which is just a database) on the NAS/Share

What happens if more than 1 PC access the share.
Each PC has its own library, each PC uses the same files on the share
Anytime any PC changes something ( e.g. a tag) this change will be stored in the local library but MC will also write the tag in the data.
It will probably lock the file when doing so.
Each PC can modify or delete the files.

Now you can make the share read only for all but yourself.
I expect MC to generate an error message each time a user changes something because MC expects write access.
This is in essence what happens when using file sharing.
Maybe if you put all other PC’s in party mode you won’t have this problems.
You wouldn't want to do this as all the PCs will end up wth different libraries.  You'd be better to load a library off a share in Read Only mode and one PC open the library Read/Write when it needs to make changes.  I know some users here in the past had scripts that ran to download a shared central library and then copy this back up at the end, but that gets pretty messy and frought with danger in my opinion.

I never tried the MC server but I do expect it to work like any other client/server environment.

The server contains the data and the library.
The clients don’t  access data and library directly but send commands to the server.
The server processes the request and modify library and data accordingly.

In this scenario all PC’s have access to the same library.
If you make a e.g. a playlist, it is available for all.
Again all probably have the right to modify.
If the server is implemented well this won’t generate access conflicts.

You need to understand how the library server/clients work;

The "Sever" doesn't need to store any media files or the library database files locally, it can but they could just as easily be on a network share.

(In basic terms) When a client conects to the server it downloads a copy of the library from the server and then uses its own local library after that.  The client then syncs  library changes to/from the server so that the server library is kept up-to-date.  Other clients can then sync their libraries with the server and thus all clients and the server will be kept current.  Where the library that the server accesses is actually stored doesn't matter.  It could be on the local HDD of the server OR on the NAS.

When a MC client wants to play a file it will look at the filepath defined in the library, and IF that file is accessable from the client it will play it directly (and not request it from the server), but if the client can't access the file directly OR the client is a DLNA device then it requests the files from the server and the server will send it to the client in a format the client is able to play.  (so a .WAV may get converted to a MP3 and then sent to the client)

The "Libray server" machine can also run the MC client on it and be used just like a normal client, in fact it is this client you will need to rip/import on as the other library serer clients (those not running on the server machine) can't do this (yet).

I know this is all a bit confusing, and it took me a while to work it all out.  But the best way is to try it and then it all starts to make sense.

Richard

rpalmer68

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #33 on: January 06, 2011, 06:45:02 pm »

I didn't consider this.

If I share one of my 1TB USB drives, it would essentially be the same as setting up a NAS.

That drive is on the computer in my home office, which is always on anyways (nightly backups).

So, if I set up a library and make the path a network share (to a local drive), I could then share that library folder on the local shared drive as well. Everyone would open the library on the shared drive, so we would all be seeng the latest updated files.

Sounds like that may be the most simple quick way to achieve what I would like to do.

It would be, but if the PC is always on why not just enable the library server on it and then you can at least change tags on any client and can also support DLNA devices if you need/want to.  No harder to setup and more options on the client side.

As I suggest above, try both ways and see what works for you.  You can't really damage anything but make  library backup first just in case.

R

dumpster

• Recent member
« Reply #34 on: January 06, 2011, 07:34:53 pm »

I intend to play around, but there are many things to play with, so please bear with me/us to narrow down what to do  :)

By "library" I think you mean "a database of data describing the location and key attributes of media files".  In other words, the "library" is a relatively small file, and is distinct from the actual media files that contain the actual content we play.

It seems the basic view is that using the Library server/client arrangement should be simpler to manage than shares - no more work, and greater flexibility.  If that's the assumption, I can see that.  In other words, Richard, you've made a compelling case that running Library server on the PC that already must always be on is not a complication, and may be of help.

If I'm accurate so far, then some from of "syncing" is required if one either attempts to alter/add/delete a media file in the library from a client (sync the client change so that the server is aware of it), or alter/delete/add a media file in the library from a server (sync the server change so that the clients see the change).  Both sync needs would also be present in a shared environment.   As I understand it, syncing involves both updating the library database, as well as ensuring any changes to media files are made.  I'm fuzzy on wheter or not syncing also deals with replicating and maintaining a copy of the media files in the library on a client, should I choose to keep a local copy of the media files in the library on any client.

I will play with it, but so that I understand what to look for, do you think syncing is just as easy or complicated via sharing as server/client setup, or is the syncing process easier one way over the other with the current build?  I searched the forum, but most posts seemed to deal with Library server issues before development was declared stable in July.

thanks again.

Gzydeck

• Recent member
« Reply #35 on: January 06, 2011, 08:04:49 pm »

O.K.

Testing it out right now.

I created a shared folder on my office PC. Put some Media files in it.

Added a new library and had it created on the shared drive.

So two shared folders, \\officepc\Musicshare and \\officepc\Musiclibrary on the shared drive.

Now I go to another PC....so how do I open the library I put on the shared drive??

I'm sure I'm missing something...but can't quite figure out.

dumpster

• Recent member
« Reply #36 on: January 06, 2011, 08:13:05 pm »

I think you need to create a new library on the second PC, switch to the new library, and then point it to the shares you created.

http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Sharing_a_media_library_with_multiple_users_on_a_home_network_%28LAN%29

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #37 on: January 06, 2011, 08:31:11 pm »

OK - If both PC's can now see \\officepc\Musicshare then all you need to do is:
1) On the OfficePC enable the Library Server (MC --> Tools --> Options --> Media Network --> Library Server) with the settings you want
2) On the "Client" PC ensure "Play local file if one that matches Library Server file is found" (MC --> Tools --> Options --> Media Network --> Library Server)
3) On the "Client" PCs now you can connect to the LS on the Main PC (File--> Library--> Load) : eg this now loads the library from the LS (without needing you \\officepe\Musiclibrary share are all) - And away you go...
JRiver CEO Elect

Gzydeck

• Recent member
« Reply #38 on: January 06, 2011, 08:44:40 pm »

Got the shared library worked out.

Music all plays great....can change/make new playlists on one PC and shows up on others...edited a few tags and showed up on source file.......so far so good.

The only thing I notice is that when I close MC, there is a lag. It must be rewriting the library changes to the shared drive....or disconnecting...or who knows. I am running this test from a wireless connection, so might not be the best. Rest of the PC's are wired.

I'm gonna fool around with this a little longer then switch over to the Library server mode. I'd to compare the two methods before I start making massive changes.

Thanks again for the all the replies. I think I am getting somewhere now.

rpalmer68

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #39 on: January 06, 2011, 09:37:48 pm »

Got the shared library worked out.

Music all plays great....can change/make new playlists on one PC and shows up on others...edited a few tags and showed up on source file.......so far so good.

The only thing I notice is that when I close MC, there is a lag. It must be rewriting the library changes to the shared drive....or disconnecting...or who knows. I am running this test from a wireless connection, so might not be the best. Rest of the PC's are wired.

I'm gonna fool around with this a little longer then switch over to the Library server mode. I'd to compare the two methods before I start making massive changes.

Thanks again for the all the replies. I think I am getting somewhere now.

Well done, yes there is some updating done when your close MC, not 100% sure what but a small lag doesn't surprise me.

rpalmer68

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #40 on: January 06, 2011, 09:59:20 pm »

I intend to play around, but there are many things to play with, so please bear with me/us to narrow down what to do  :)

By "library" I think you mean "a database of data describing the location and key attributes of media files".  In other words, the "library" is a relatively small file, and is distinct from the actual media files that contain the actual content we play.

It seems the basic view is that using the Library server/client arrangement should be simpler to manage than shares - no more work, and greater flexibility.  If that's the assumption, I can see that.  In other words, Richard, you've made a compelling case that running Library server on the PC that already must always be on is not a complication, and may be of help.

If I'm accurate so far, then some from of "syncing" is required if one either attempts to alter/add/delete a media file in the library from a client (sync the client change so that the server is aware of it), or alter/delete/add a media file in the library from a server (sync the server change so that the clients see the change).  Both sync needs would also be present in a shared environment.   As I understand it, syncing involves both updating the library database, as well as ensuring any changes to media files are made.  I'm fuzzy on wheter or not syncing also deals with replicating and maintaining a copy of the media files in the library on a client, should I choose to keep a local copy of the media files in the library on any client.

I will play with it, but so that I understand what to look for, do you think syncing is just as easy or complicated via sharing as server/client setup, or is the syncing process easier one way over the other with the current build?  I searched the forum, but most posts seemed to deal with Library server issues before development was declared stable in July.

thanks again.

Yes the "library" is a databse od date describing the files in the library, but it is quite a few fiels and is a lot more than just that.  It also stores a lot of other information in the library/database.   But you don't need to worry about that too much at this stage.

In terms of Syncing I'm only talking about he library/database not he actual media files. The client will send library/database updates to the server and the server will send updates to the client.  At this stage you can't add files (media) to the library from the clients (other than the one on the server) so the syncing isn't actualy sending actual media files just database updates (normally tag changes and the like).  If you import additional media into the library on the server client then these addiional files will appear in the other client libraries automatically  but no physical media files are moved anywhere as they are in a shared locaion (or being served by the server).
This won't happen in the Shared setup as you have to cose a client and reope it to get the updated library from the shared location, and obviously two or three clienst can't all be chaning tags at the same time in the shared setup either, but they can in the library server setup.

In relation to th syncing of media files nd a library to a local machine so you can take them away with you when not connected to your network, that's a different thing altogether.

I haven't used this feature at all but if on one of your clients you open a local library (so one stored locally not the shared one on the network or the library server one) there is an option under the File menu called Sync Library.

This "may" be what you want to do, but as I said I've not tried it and I can't quite work out what it syncs! (The documentation is somewhat non-existent! http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Synchronize_Libraries )

Another option is to use a "handheld" (which can in fact be a location on a local drive to sync files to and then just have a local library that you import that handheld folder.

But I'm sure others will have some bright ideas on this one.... although you may be best to start a new thread in the MC15 area on how to do this.

Richard

Raphoune

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #41 on: January 07, 2011, 06:04:25 am »

When the server part of MC will be ported to Linux (not asking for the UI), it will open a lot of possibilities, like installing it on a Synology NAS (or anything like that). Just dreaming, but that will be my only wish for Christmas 2011 :)

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #42 on: January 07, 2011, 12:11:11 pm »

When the server part of MC will be ported to Linux (not asking for the UI), it will open a lot of possibilities, like installing it on a Synology NAS (or anything like that). Just dreaming, but that will be my only wish for Christmas 2011 :)

+1 ;)

Gzydeck

• Recent member
« Reply #43 on: January 09, 2011, 07:39:55 pm »

Just a quick update.

Copied 7K files to 1TB USB drive attached to my office PC.

Sharing a single library between four machines.

Everything is running great. Wife and kids can created playlists, download music, etc., and everything shows up everywhere.

Thanks again for the help. I should have done this long ago.

No more syncing and swapping drives all over the house!

rpalmer68

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #44 on: January 09, 2011, 07:57:40 pm »

Just a quick update.

Copied 7K files to 1TB USB drive attached to my office PC.

Sharing a single library between four machines.

Everything is running great. Wife and kids can created playlists, download music, etc., and everything shows up everywhere.

Thanks again for the help. I should have done this long ago.

No more syncing and swapping drives all over the house!

Glad it's working for you.

When you say "sharing" is that via library server or just everybody accessing the same central library directrly?

Richard

Gzydeck

• Recent member
« Reply #45 on: January 10, 2011, 05:41:25 am »

Richard,

I am sharing a common library on one shared drive. Not using the Library Server.

The basic reason is that wife and kids use different computers in the home and like to create playlists, download music, etc. from anywhere they open the program.

I could be wrong, but my understanding is that when using Library Server some of those changes don't show up everywhere? You need to use the "server" machine?

I may give the Library Server a closer look. I'm just not sure what advantages it would provide me??

rpalmer68

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #46 on: January 10, 2011, 06:30:03 am »

Richard,

I am sharing a common library on one shared drive. Not using the Library Server.

The basic reason is that wife and kids use different computers in the home and like to create playlists, download music, etc. from anywhere they open the program.

I could be wrong, but my understanding is that when using Library Server some of those changes don't show up everywhere? You need to use the "server" machine?

I may give the Library Server a closer look. I'm just not sure what advantages it would provide me??

Not 100% what does and doesn't get replicated back to the server as I don't use playlists, but as long as only one person is using MC creating playlists etc at a time then your way will work fine anyway.

R
Pages: [1]   Go Up