INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Crashes with Library Server  (Read 2939 times)

laerm

• Galactic Citizen
Crashes with Library Server
« on: January 08, 2011, 12:19:05 pm »

Hey gang --

This one still crashes when connecting to libraries. Occasionally it crashes right after I choose "Connect to library".

Often it crashes when I hit "Search" in the "Connect to library" window: http://benthic.cc/after_search.txt

Often it crashes when I hit "Connect" in said window: http://benthic.cc/after_connect.txt

For bonus crashing, I just got this one for the first time ever -- I was typing in my home IP into the connect window, trying to connect to home while at home by bouncing out to the internet and back, to see if that would work. I paused for four seconds to remember the last octet and it crashed:
http://benthic.cc/typing.txt

(The above links are the MC logs. I couldn't reproduce the first error within a half-dozen or so instances.)

Sometimes it's a three-part process. I get each of the successive crashes, but starting it up again lets me go to the next step, and then after a third crash I am usually able to connect to the library. It seems to happen more often when I am on my home network and connecting to a 192.168 address. Usually (70% of the time) when I am at work and connecting to my home library, it works fine.* This machine is Win7 x64. All firewall and so on is properly configured on both computers, as well as port-forwarding and firewall on my router.

* The annoyance there is that 75% of the time is is rather slow -- up to 10 seconds to download the library and respond to track changes -- whereas the other 25% of the time it is lightning-fast, like I am on my home network.

I have eliminated network issues with all errors (including the speed issue I have often). My home machine is the only thing connected to the internet when I am not at home and I can top 28Mbps down/3.75Mbps up at home. While there are a dozen machines (including SVN and our web server) on our work network, I can stream HD Netflix while I'm there, so I know there's no network issues there. (I have also tried other locations -- hotels, coffeeshops, college -- and had the same speed issue.)

I hope there's time to take a look at this issue. I doubt it is an issue with just my computer, as I reinstalled Windows just before Xmas (on the remote machine). I had the problem before I reinstalled, and the first app I installed after I did all of the Windows updates was MC. I had these same issues right off the bat.

Thanks very much --
Micah

UPDATE: Since I posted this, er, half an hour ago, I have been trying to connect to my server. Have restarted all machines, rebooted router, pretty much tried everything and with no positive effect. Same crashes over and over again... Sadface^2.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Crashes with Library Server
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2011, 03:20:27 pm »

Odd behavior. Try setting up a test library with a few files to see if it behaves.

Eliminate any third party plug-ins etc.

Consider what the virus checker may be doing.

Take a look at the "Weird Problems" thread in my signature.

laerm

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2011, 11:32:21 am »

Odd behavior. Try setting up a test library with a few files to see if it behaves.

Eliminate any third party plug-ins etc.

Consider what the virus checker may be doing.

Take a look at the "Weird Problems" thread in my signature.

Ah, hey, sorry for the slow reply -- I didn't notice my post got moved to a new thread. Thanks.

I set up a test library with only a dozen files in it. Connecting to it crashed after pressing the "Search" button. It also crashed when the "Connect to library" window was open and I looked up at the TV. I hadn't even pressed anything yet. That is mighty weird and gives me the impression it has nothing to do with the server and something is conflicting with MC connecting to the internet.

So, on that note, there are no third-party plugins (on either end), and I *think* the antivirus on this machine is not interfering. It's a work laptop and the antivirus is Sophos, which I am unfamiliar with and can't make changes to because I don't have administrator rights, but, again, when I had to reinstall Windows a few weeks back, I installed MC before the antivirus and I had the same crashes.

I'lll take a look through the weird problems thread. Thanks Jim...

Micah

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2011, 11:38:41 am »

MC has logging that might be useful.  It's under Help in the program.

After a crash, take a look at the previous log.  The problem may be seen near the end of the log.

What kind of files are they?  MP3?

Does it crash when using a local library?  Does it always happen when using it at work to access a home library?

laerm

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2011, 11:47:13 am »

MC has logging that might be useful.  It's under Help in the program.

After a crash, take a look at the previous log.  The problem may be seen near the end of the log.

What kind of files are they?  MP3?

Does it crash when using a local library?  Does it always happen when using it at work to access a home library?

Yep, those are the logs I've posted above. If this log says anything, here's the most recent one, the crash that happened when MC wasn't doing anything except sitting there with the "Connect to library" window open. http://benthic.cc/idle_crash.txt If there's anything helpful in there that says why it's crashed, I'm not smart enough to figure it out.

The files were MP3s, yes. I haven't had any issues with using a local library. My home library is ~70000 files, so if that's the issue, well, that's not going to change... :P

Thanks --
Micah

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2011, 11:52:02 am »

If it always happens when connecting to or from your work network, I would suspect something is happening on that network, perhaps even an intentional disconnect.

laerm

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2011, 11:58:51 am »

If it always happens when connecting to or from your work network, I would suspect something is happening on that network, perhaps even an intentional disconnect.

Well, I'm at home right now, and I can't even connect across my local network, so...

I'm gonna go through weird problems thread in a bit. I'm gonna run to the store and I just installed a network monitor on my server to see if there's anything killing bandwidth in the background.

Micah

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2011, 12:41:53 pm »

If you can't connect across your LAN, it's probably a network issue.  The "Network Access" article on the Wiki might help.

Could also be a firewall issue.

In MC Options, under Library Server, try the option to register your server, and then the test.

laerm

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2011, 12:55:35 pm »

If you can't connect across your LAN, it's probably a network issue.  The "Network Access" article on the Wiki might help.

Could also be a firewall issue.

In MC Options, under Library Server, try the option to register your server, and then the test.

Ah, no offence Jim, but the network access article is pretty basic. ;)

The six-character access code generated by MC has never worked for me -- in any build, at any time, on any network, on any machine. I just generated a new one and tried again, no dice. It doesn't crash, it just sits there and eventually says it couldn't connect to the server.

All of my ports are properly forwarded (this I checked a long time ago). Firewall has them open and allowed for MC.

Under the weird problems thread, the one that seemed like it might apply to me was the QOS thread -- http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=58611.0 -- so I installed a network monitor on the server to see if something was killing bandwidth in the background. Nope. That machine is bare-bones anyway, it doesn't do anything other than MC.

Thanks for the help, Jim. I am thinking that the next step I will contact my sysadmin and see if the antivirus on this machine might be getting in the way, and, if so, please add an exception for it to the allowed programs scan. Have you seen anything in any of the logs I posted? The Windows error when MC crashes says it has to do with wininet.dll, if that helps at all (probably not).

Micah

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2011, 01:34:11 pm »

Ah, no offence Jim, but the network access article is pretty basic. ;)

The six-character access code generated by MC has never worked for me -- in any build, at any time, on any network, on any machine. I just generated a new one and tried again, no dice. It doesn't crash, it just sits there and eventually says it couldn't connect to the server.
That's not a good sign.

I just tried a reset and immediately got the attached message.  I also got the same message when I tried a test.

A firewall could cause this kind of problem. 

I suggest working on this until it's solved.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2011, 01:45:01 pm »

Just re-reading some of what you said above.

It's a work machine.  Maybe it runs software to disallow activity on higher port numbers.

But again, if the Activation Key isn't generated, and the test of it fails, there is something not right with networking.

laerm

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2011, 01:55:12 pm »

That's not a good sign.

I just tried a reset and immediately got the attached message.  I also got the same message when I tried a test.

A firewall could cause this kind of problem. 

I suggest working on this until it's solved.

OK, between this and the below message, I guess I could have phrased it better: the access key does generate, the test works, and it gives a message that suggests everything's OK (your server is registered, key copied to clipboard, write it down, etc). When I type the key in to the connect box on the remote machine, here's what happens:

- brings up "connecting to server" dialog
- animation makes two complete spins
- that dialog disappears
- main connect box is visible but greyed-out
- 5 seconds pass
- then a message, error connecting to server, would you like to load previously loaded library instead?
- and then I hit no and it crashed three seconds later

Here's the log from the above. http://benthic.cc/access_code_crash.txt

I will try a lower port number. Do you have any suggestions on a range that isn't used by something else?

Thanks again --
Micah

laerm

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2011, 02:14:12 pm »

It's a work machine.  Maybe it runs software to disallow activity on higher port numbers.

Hey, I took a look at the list of used port numbers on Wikipedia, and saw that 33 is unused. I tried that one -- changed it in MC, set port forwarding, opened it in the firewall -- and no luck.

Micah

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2011, 02:15:40 pm »

OK, between this and the below message, I guess I could have phrased it better: the access key does generate, the test works, and it gives a message that suggests everything's OK (your server is registered, key copied to clipboard, write it down, etc).
OK.  So the Access Key does work.  I hadn't understood that.

When I type the key in to the connect box on the remote machine, here's what happens:

- brings up "connecting to server" dialog
- animation makes two complete spins
- that dialog disappears
- main connect box is visible but greyed-out
- 5 seconds pass
- then a message, error connecting to server, would you like to load previously loaded library instead?
- and then I hit no and it crashed three seconds later
No is an answer that won't work.  We can investigate the crash after you've done that, but answering no won't work.  MC has told you it cannot connect.

Here's the log from the above. http://benthic.cc/access_code_crash.txt

I will try a lower port number. Do you have any suggestions on a range that isn't used by something else?
You're in an area where I think you should talk with your system administrator.  You could also try a Google search.

laerm

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2011, 02:37:05 pm »

No is an answer that won't work.  We can investigate the crash after you've done that, but answering no won't work.  MC has told you it cannot connect.

Wait, hunh? I was just telling it not to reload my default library.

I'll talk to my sysadmin tomorrow and let you know what happens. When we eventually solve this, it'll be a good one for the weird problems thread. :)

Oh, speaking of weird, a little more: going to the webplay site for my access code does not work. I get a failed to connect to server error. However, both links (inside and outside of the server's network) work on my iPhone, but neither works on my work laptop. So, yeah, probably definitely some arcane setting here I don't know about. I'll keep you updated and thanks for taking time out of your Sunday to help. Beer's on me!  ;D

Micah

laerm

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2011, 01:34:13 pm »

Hi Jim, here's your update as promised.

My sysadmin says all ports are open and the antivirus isn't getting in the way. He's a good guy and we get along really well, so I've got no reason to doubt him.

I am able to connect reliably from work (home network is still not happening), but the connection is INSANELY slow at work today. The library downloads quickly (2 seconds) but there is 30 seconds' worth of pause before play and between songs. So, apparently, 3 hours' worth of troubleshooting made it worse. Great! :P

(If it means anything, Webplay interface is lightning fast; playing tracks through it is just as slow.)

Thanks again... At this point, I'll be impressed if anybody can solve this.
Micah

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2011, 01:41:35 pm »

Can you test from another PC?  That might tell you whether the problem is the network or what's loaded on the PC.

laerm

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2011, 01:54:38 pm »

I have tested from another PC, but it's not been recently. I will try to do so this week, but it might not happen as I have to hit the road for business at the end of the week and will be busy in the meantime. The soonest I might be able to do that is two weeks from now. I'll keep you updated, thanks again.

Micah
Pages: [1]   Go Up