INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DVD playback through AV receiver  (Read 1654 times)

wittykitty

• Recent member
DVD playback through AV receiver
« on: January 09, 2011, 01:16:42 am »

Hi there,

I have J River set up through the TV using a HDMI cable, and using an external sound card connected by SPDIF coaxial to the back of a Pioneer AV receiver.

Audio is working fine, with both CDs and .mpg files.  However, I cannot get DVDs to play properly.  The video rendering is poor, the DVD playback keeps getting stuck, and I cannot click on DVD menus to select options etc, and there is also no sound.  All I want to do is to have decent video playback and have the surround sound working.  

The DVD playback is set to the same as audio, and all the video and audio renderers are set to automatic.  I have both CCCP & ffdshow codec packs installed, but don't understand wehy I can't get ifo files to play with good video and surround sound.

DVD playback is spot on in Windows Media Player, although it comes through the AV receiver it is not surround, but the video quality and sound were working perfectly well.

I know the sound card is not at fault because I have read that it connects up to surround sound and does work fine, so there is a setting in MC15 that I'm missing somewhere.  If anyone has any suggestions, I would be very grateful!

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: DVD playback through AV receiver
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2011, 08:30:37 am »

This is probably a problem with DirectShow.  Please read the DirectShow Guide on our Wiki.  There is an article about DVD also.  Consider installing CCCP.

wittykitty

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2011, 10:46:20 am »

Hi there,

I reinstalled MC15 and tweaked about until I finally got sound on both DVD & audio playback.  However, it is still not playing true surround sound through the AV receiver.  CCCP is already installed.

Please tell me you have another suggestion!

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2011, 10:50:56 am »

Go to Tools/Options/Video and try the first two settings.  To get the receiver to process the signal, you need a digital connection.

wittykitty

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2011, 12:13:45 pm »

At present it is set to:

Playback device: Speakers (USB Multichannel Audio Device)
Connection Type: Digital connection to a surround sound receiver

Should I choose another setting?

wittykitty

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2011, 01:50:27 pm »

fixed it!  fixed it!  After about 10 hours i figured it out!!!  Used an external sound program from ac3filter called spdiffer.  god bless ac3filter!!  Woohoo!  Awesome!

avpman

• Galactic Citizen
  • Dad to three beatuiful Boxers by rescue.
DVD Playback Quality
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2011, 08:36:52 pm »

Did this do anything to improve the quality of the video? I've ripped a bunch of DVD's and imported them to MC15 but the video playback quality is no where near as good as CyberPowerDVD. I'm playing the same ripped files but MC's video rendering is of lesser quality. Any suggestions from anyone would be appreciated.
Pages: [1]   Go Up