INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fixed: Analyzing Audio taking forever  (Read 2365 times)

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Fixed: Analyzing Audio taking forever
« on: January 10, 2011, 01:17:22 pm »

I had to transfer my music collection to a new computer (HTPC) but I was able to maintain file structure and restored my library and settings perfectly. All files show up, etc.

However, MC15 apparently wants to reanalyze all of my files following a manually invoked auto-import. The rate of analysis on the dual-core machine is INCREDIBLY slow. My old HTPC, which was single core, was much, much faster. MC is using ~3% of CPU bandwidth according to resource monitor, and analyzes one file every 10 seconds, which at this rate will take about 1 week to complete.

I don't have a virus scanner and I've checked resource monitor for conflicting processes and have found none. Write caching is enabled on the disk, and everything else operates fine. I've reinstalled MC15 twice to see if that had any affect, but it doesn't seem to help.

Ideas?

Thanks!

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Analyzing Audio taking forever
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2011, 01:34:45 pm »

What kind of files do you have?

Maybe a DirectShow filter is missing. 

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2011, 01:43:56 pm »

I've got FFDShow installed with defaults enabled for MP3/FLAC/MKV (the only files in my library). Two strange things I've noticed: I updated my stored cover art folder to a specified folder instead of storing them with the files. Despite "Images" being deactivated in the advanced features, MC15 still imports them. The second strange thing is in the logs: it looks like MC15 is parsing //HTPC/Music during import even though all of the files (I've checked by filename) in my library are local.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2011, 01:46:19 pm »

Check your auto-import settings.  Images must be enabled for one or more entries.

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2011, 01:49:42 pm »

They aren't, trust me. Also, even though I have the cover art directory set to Q:\Cover Art, the cover art is being saved to Q:\My Music\Cover Art, where it is subsequently imported from.

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2011, 01:55:48 pm »

I'm starting to narrow it down: It looks like MC has loaded two libraries simultaneously from the same location.

Edit: Yeah, this is a weird one. It looks like when I restored my old library, it didn't replace the default library and didn't create a new location. Only the restored library had its file and settings displayed but Import was using settings from the old default library in addition to the new library.

Two libraries were "checked" (with an arrow) in the library manager and they both pointed to the same location. You may want to look into this one guys.

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2011, 02:28:43 pm »

This looks like a settings problem. When I restore a library and settings, it isn't overwriting the old settings, just "incorporating the new ones." Now MC crashes whenever I try to restore the old library on top of the new one. I can't send a log file because in the process of restoring the library logging is turned off and reset.

I'm stuck here and my HTPC in not operational.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2011, 02:51:27 pm »

Maybe you could uninstall, reboot, reinstall, then restore?

If it's really a case of corrupted / merged settings, this should fix that.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2011, 03:55:27 pm »

OK, I tried that and got the settings to restore. However, I'm back at square one now. I've looked at the logs and I can see that the problem is unlimited instances of this:

GetMissingAndUpdateFiles: Missing: \\Htpc\q\My Music\Artist\Filename

I've never imported network files into my HTPC (they're all local on the HTPC) so I don't know why MC is looking for networked files. The only files in my library are local files (confirmed by sorting by filenames). Is there a way to speed this process up (deleting the rogue networked files entries?). At this rate it should take a week to complete.

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2011, 04:07:13 pm »

I've opened up the library backup and half of the filename jmb file includes the //htpc...etc files. MC takes about 10 seconds to check whether or not the network location exists for each file. If I select all of the visible files in my library and export to XML, clear the library, and then import the XML file, will my ratings, tags, replaygain, etc. be preserved? Can I make the MC search for the networked files timeout faster?

I don't understand why I have so many "ghost" files in my database when they don't show up in MC.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2011, 04:12:39 pm »

You might make a smartlist ~d=a to show all files.

Then pick the orphans manually and delete them. You might need to refresh and delete them a second time depending.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2011, 04:25:30 pm »

Once this is sorted, it would be helpful to brainstorm about how those entries got created.  Did you, at one point, store your media at those paths?

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2011, 04:44:31 pm »

You might make a smartlist ~d=a to show all files.

Then pick the orphans manually and delete them. You might need to refresh and delete them a second time depending.

YES! Thank you!

There are two ways this could have happened. First, I mapped a network drive to a drive letter on my old computer that I subsequently used for one of my local disks. AutoImport may have saved the old entries since they were correctly mapped to the files, even though the mapped network drive no longer existed.

The other option, which I've had problems with in the past, is that I used one library on a client computer to map directly to the network share, that I used to tag and edit files until Library Server became robust enough to do this on its own. One problem I had was that when accessing the shared library, entries from the local library would strangely appear in the database, creating duplicates of all my files (one mapped over the library server, and one mapped over the network). I may have synced this back to the HTPC server on some occasion, creating the ghosted entries.

Regardless, I'm so glad this is fixed!

Thanks!
Pages: [1]   Go Up