INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sharing Media & Information Between NAS & Two Media Centers  (Read 1674 times)

wraith

• Recent member
Sharing Media & Information Between NAS & Two Media Centers
« on: November 16, 2011, 08:30:15 pm »

Hey all,

I'm trying to set-up a media network where I can:
* Use my study computer (with MC16 installed) to manage my media;
* Synchronise my Study computer to a NAS (NAS and Study would also act as a backup to each other);
* Access the media on the NAS from a second computer (my HTPC, also with MC16 installed) but with all the playlists, library tags etc. still available to the second computer.

At the moment the only way I can do this is to use my first computer as a server; which means it must be on.

Is there a way I can save all the library, playlist, folder information etc. to the NAS and have the HTPC load the library file? In effect a central repository for all MC16 data. I've scoured the Wiki and forums and don't seem to be able to find any information on this. I also don't seem to have an option in MC16 to save the library file, only an option for the backup.

Apologies if I've missed it and it's been covered. Any feedback, advice etc. is greatly appreciated.
System: Intel Quad Core
            6Gb RAM
MC: 20.0.080

csimon

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Sharing Media & Information Between NAS & Two Media Centers
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2011, 07:35:36 am »

It would be nice to have a server version of MC that can be installed on a NAS that hosts the library and serves the files to clients.  There are already a few discussions about this in the forums.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2011, 07:42:52 am »

You don't have to install anything on the NAS.

On your first PC (Server), import the media from the NAS.  Share it from that PC, by using Media Network (see the wiki).

On your second PC, open the library from your first PC.  File/Library/Library Manager/Add.

sskings

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2011, 10:52:44 am »

Here's how I'm handling this situation. 

I load music to Computer 1 -- faster tagging etc. --  and copy to my NAS in background.  I have a JR library on both.  Music played across the network from computer 1 uses the library on Compouter 1.  From other computers in the house uses the library on the NAS (Computer 1 doesn't have to be on).  The only downside is that the libraries might not be identical, but since they're built from the same files in copied folders this has not been a problem.  It has the added benefit of giving me a full back up of music.

Hope this helps.
Pages: [1]   Go Up